Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Adding washout?

Forum for hydrofoil builders.


User avatar
SaulOhio
Frequent Poster
Posts: 360
Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:26 pm
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Mentor Headlands
Edgewater
Conneaut harbor
Fairport Harbor
Simms Park
Favorite Beaches: Kite Point in the Outer Banks
Gear: Liquid Force Havoc, 12m and 16M
Slingshot Turbo Diesel 8M
Rossignol Escort skis
Brand Affiliation: None

Adding washout?

Postby SaulOhio » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:37 pm

I have been thinking of adding some washout to my main wings.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washout_(aeronautics)

Has anyone done any experimenting to see if this makes a more stable wing? Do production hydrofoils have washout?

User avatar
Alex3m1
Rare Poster
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:44 pm
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: White Sea , Severodvinsk
Style: all
Gear: Spotz3 Tuna, ParaAvis GVX 17,11 Ozone Edge 2013 13,9
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Adding washout?

Postby Alex3m1 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:06 pm

SaulOhio wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:37 pm
I have been thinking of adding some washout to my main wings.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washout_(aeronautics)

Has anyone done any experimenting to see if this makes a more stable wing? Do production hydrofoils have washout?
Yes, AlpineFoil frontwing,XLP2, washout about 3 degrees.

User avatar
SaulOhio
Frequent Poster
Posts: 360
Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:26 pm
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Mentor Headlands
Edgewater
Conneaut harbor
Fairport Harbor
Simms Park
Favorite Beaches: Kite Point in the Outer Banks
Gear: Liquid Force Havoc, 12m and 16M
Slingshot Turbo Diesel 8M
Rossignol Escort skis
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Adding washout?

Postby SaulOhio » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:47 am

Alex3m1 wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:06 pm

Yes, AlpineFoil frontwing,XLP2, washout about 3 degrees.
OK, thanks. Did you measure this yourself, or did you find the information somewhere?

User avatar
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 8768
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2002 1:00 am
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Denmark

Re: Adding washout?

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:51 pm

Washout on a swept wing makes a wing more pitch stable.

But it also gives you more drag at low AOA, so for going really fast (racewings t.ex) washout is not really used.

Otherwise at higher AOA it can give you the benefit of being more stable and I would think it does not crash as much if close to ventilation riding in the surface, and the turning dynamics might be better too.

Pro and cons using washout :wink:

8) PF

User avatar
SaulOhio
Frequent Poster
Posts: 360
Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:26 pm
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Mentor Headlands
Edgewater
Conneaut harbor
Fairport Harbor
Simms Park
Favorite Beaches: Kite Point in the Outer Banks
Gear: Liquid Force Havoc, 12m and 16M
Slingshot Turbo Diesel 8M
Rossignol Escort skis
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Adding washout?

Postby SaulOhio » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:07 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:51 pm
Washout on a swept wing makes a wing more pitch stable.

But it also gives you more drag at low AOA, so for going really fast (racewings t.ex) washout is not really used.

Otherwise at higher AOA it can give you the benefit of being more stable and I would think it does not crash as much if close to ventilation riding in the surface, and the turning dynamics might be better too.

Pro and cons using washout :wink:

8) PF
Thanks. I'm not making racing wings. Yet. But more stability near the surface would be really nice. I borrowed a friend's Cabrinha, and once managed to ride with the foil right at the surface, almost hydroplaning instead of hydrofoiling. I bet that Cabrinha had washout.

User avatar
Alex3m1
Rare Poster
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:44 pm
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: White Sea , Severodvinsk
Style: all
Gear: Spotz3 Tuna, ParaAvis GVX 17,11 Ozone Edge 2013 13,9
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Adding washout?

Postby Alex3m1 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:55 am

SaulOhio wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:47 am
Alex3m1 wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:06 pm

Yes, AlpineFoil frontwing,XLP2, washout about 3 degrees.
OK, thanks. Did you measure this yourself, or did you find the information somewhere?
Homemade AoA -meter :)
Image
Image

User avatar
SaulOhio
Frequent Poster
Posts: 360
Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:26 pm
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Mentor Headlands
Edgewater
Conneaut harbor
Fairport Harbor
Simms Park
Favorite Beaches: Kite Point in the Outer Banks
Gear: Liquid Force Havoc, 12m and 16M
Slingshot Turbo Diesel 8M
Rossignol Escort skis
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Adding washout?

Postby SaulOhio » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:38 am

Alex3m1 wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:55 am

Homemade AoA -meter :)
I use that method, too. I learned it on Youtube. Great resource.



I just designed a new foil with 1% washout, and cut the molds. If I want, I can add more by twisting the mold.
LowAspectFoilWashout2.jpg
LowAspectFoilWashout.jpg

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1426
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2003 8:48 am
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera
Contact:

Re: Adding washout?

Postby windmaker » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:00 pm

SaulOhio wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:37 pm
I have been thinking of adding some washout to my main wings.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washout_(aeronautics)

Has anyone done any experimenting to see if this makes a more stable wing? Do production hydrofoils have washout?
My F-One front wings have washout.


Return to “Hydrofoil Builders”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: B19 ELS and 2 guests

cron