All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: How to avoid getting scammed with a check!
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 10:34 am 
Very Frequent Poster

How to avoid getting scammed with a check!

There are quiet some stories nowadays about scams when trading gear.

The scam works like this:
The “buyerâ€

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 11:03 am 
Very Frequent Poster

users experience:

I have several fake checks (6 or 7) sitting on my dresser right now. Every one of them was sent in an attempt to buy a hang glider I am selling on the net. Just minutes ago I responded to another fake request (this one from Nigeria). This time the guy did try to negotiate with me. However, I told him I was firm, and he said OK.

In my experience the fake check will always be for $6K to $7K. The reason given is usually that the buyer has a client in the U.S. that owes him money, and that the client will simply pay me. I am to deposit the check and WIRE the difference to the buyer (every time). The buyer says he will arrange pickup and shipping of the item (which he will not do even when prompted).

The fake checks vary in quality. Some are fairly good. They tend to be written on a real bank. I've called the bank and given them the numbers on the check. The bank has been able to verify the check is fake.

There are always several exchanges between the buyer and myself before he sends the check. You're right - he rarely refers to the item as a hang glider. The emails are always in somewhat broken english.

Interestingly, the checks are always written on a U.S. bank, but they are mailed from overseas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 7:59 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

here examples of faked checks:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:43 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

another scam:

Hi,

I am happy to confrim the receipt of your mail in my box today , i could say this a is begining of a good besiness tenure , i am writing to inform you about the payment which is $1000 and please tell me how many are available , this is to inform you that i have a cheque coming from my client USA , he will be the one to issue the cashier cheque in your name and all he has to pay to me is $4000, this is the area where i need your assistance , when you have the cheque you take the total sum of your kite and the balance would be going to my shiper whom their company is shipping some of my goods as well to me from europe they will be the one to pick up the kite from you , when you pay them the money via western union , that would be part of my payment to them in my account with them in their company , they've being my shipper for long time now.
i will be glad to hear from you as soon as possible so that i can inform my client to issue the cheque since he said he can only issue one cheque .
i pray to have your kind cooperation in this regards

234/5 park road
machester, n23 e54m
UK.

Regards.

Simmon.

Post subject: same one....Harmer Simmon
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:16 am 
Rare Poster

same scum bag tried with me:
Dear Friend,
> >hope you and your family are having a very sound time ,i am glad to let you know that i am fully interested in buying your kite (450 pounds) ( and i will handle shipping my self )in which i am ready to make my payment fast hence i've read about tit in your advert . i am interested in the pics i will be glad to buy the two together . i would be glad to hear from you soon so as to bring this transaction into reality. hope you mail to me so that we can talk about payment .i can pay you via a certified bank check or money order which would clears in two or three working days .i will be glad you send me the folling for the payment.
> >
> >
> >1 ... name that will be on the check ,
> >2 ......address to be sent to ,
> >3....... your direct phone number
> >
> >Regards
> >
> >Simmon.
Hi Milen Guydarov,
> I am happy to confrim the receipt of your mail in my box today , i could say this a is begining of a good besiness tenure , i am writing to inform you about the payment which is 450 POUNDS and please tell me how many are available , this is to inform you that i have a cheque coming from my client , he will be the one to issue the cashier cheque in your name and all he has to pay to me is 1600 POUNDS, this is the area where i need your assistance , when you have the cheque you take the total sum of your kite and the balance would be going to my shiper whom their company is shipping some of my goods as well to me from europe they will be the one to pick up the kite from you , when you pay them the money via western union , that would be part of my payment to them in my account with them in their company , they've being my shipper for long time now.
>
>
>
>i will be glad to hear from you as soon as possible so that i can inform my client to issue the cheque since he said he can only issue one cheque .
>
>
>
>
>i pray to have your kind cooperation in this regards
>
>
>
>Simmon.

I'm happy to receive your mail

As I informed You earlier I will be accepting ONLY transfer to my bank account!

If any info are needed please dont hesitate to contact me

Hi Milen Guydarov, i hope i can do that bank trasfer but my client who is oweing me That said amount in my last mail has told me that that is the only form of payment he has to payme all the money he is oweing me, hope that can be accepted by you while we wait for the cheque to clear before any deal can go on.

DO NOT TRUST THIS CREATURE :bye:

Post subject: Check this out -Smells like Fish . . . eh
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:52 am 
Rare Poster

Hello,
Thanks for your quick response,i'm ok with the price but .I am an auto dealer and based in Foley Alabama,but i'm presently out of town on a course.Nevertheless,i have just been contacted by my client who has tied down my money ($6,500) for a long time on his
intention to make immediate payment by ( cashier check) cos i told him that i'm oweing someone,but since i'm not in town to cash the money at this moment,i will need your word of trust and honesty in this situation cos this is an opportunity for me to get my money.
Hence,upon your word of trust by return mail,i will go ahead and instruct my client to make the ($6,500) payment in your name to enable you to cash it immidiately and deduct your money for the 20 meter Rhino,then we can make arrangements for the shipping and how
to get my balance from you.Thanks and hope to hear from you as soon
as possible.
Sincerely,

moore
oceanic_Auto@yahoo.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 12:39 pm 
Medium Poster

hello,
another example, Simmons again. Look the sort of messages you can recieve.

I put a bar for selling in http://www.kite-surf.com/

I had a reply, here I copy the two mails I had:

1---
Hello Sir / Ma,
I am happy to mail you that i am interested in your which i saw is for sale on kite-surf.com, however, i am very happy to inform you that i need the kite and you are selling the kite for (150 EURO) and i will handle the shipping of the kite to its destination, i will also like to let you know that my form of payment is via bank cheque wish will clear in your account in 2 or 3 woeking days, so i will need you to provide me with this following so we can have a very good business time.

FULL NAME TO BE CHEQUE.
FULL ADDRESS TO SEND THE CHEQUE TO.
CONTACT PHONE NUMBER.

Best Regards.

Simmon.

2----
Hi Cayuquero,
Thanks for your response to my mail, however, i want the kitebar and i am happy to confrim the receipt of your mail in my box today , i could say this a is begining of a good besiness tenure , i am writing to inform you about the payment which is 150 EURO and please tell me how many are available , this is to inform you that i have a cheque coming from my client , he will be the one to issue the cashier cheque in your name and all he has to pay to me is 2600 EURO, this is the area where i need your assistance , when you have the cheque you take the total sum of your kite and the balance would be going to my shiper whom their company is shipping some of my goods as well to me from europe they will be the one to pick up the kite from you , when you pay them the money via western union , that would be part of my payment to them in my account with them in their company , they've being my shipper for long time now.

i will be glad to hear from you as soon as possible so that i can inform my client to issue the cheque since he said he can only issue one cheque .

i pray to have your kind cooperation in this regards

234/5 park road
machester, n23 e54m
UK

Simmon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:21 pm 
thanx Toby,
I just received a cheque like this by a named Harmer Simmon. What a story ! I'm going to destroy it.
thanx again
Mourad

Post subject: why has no one contacted the police about this guy?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:59 pm 
This must be illegal.I received a cheque a few days ago from this twat,posted from England.Obviously the cheque is fake.WHy has no one contacted the UK Police?
k.

Post subject: watch out for the nigerians....
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:26 pm 
Frequent Poster

Guys,
Look out below for these scum who like to cheat.This was the last mail i received from them this morning.
k.

Thanks for your quick response to my mail, however, i want the $3000 to be sent to my shipper today via western union money transfer and here is his name and address as follows.

SHITTU M. SHARAFA
205 Lord Lugard Road,
Obalende, Lagos, Nigeria

After you have sent the money to the name and address of my shipper please provide me with this following so i can give to my shipper for the pick up of fund in nigeria and he will come to you in jamaica after he picks up the money at western union outlet in nigeria ASAP.

SENDER'S FULL NAME.
SENDER'S FULL ADDRESS.
TEXT QUESTION : what is my name?
TEXT ANSWER : harmer simmon
MTCN CONTROL NUMBER.
AMOUNT SENT (AFTER WESTERN UNION DEDUCTED COMMISSION).

I await your quick response to my mail and the informations as i have requested from you today.

Best Regards,

Simmon

[ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next