Kite and Dirtsurfer advice needed

Forum for snow- and landkiters
Gubber
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Gubber » Tue Sep 10, 2002 4:46 pm

I have an Dirtsurfer and a Flexifoil Viper 6.5. I'm totally new to kiting but can dirtsurf. I need some advice on getting started using these together. I have flown the kite a bit and know how to control it etc. I need to know how you keep your balance at the beginning, where to position the kite in the sky that sort of stuff.

Also is using a harness a good idea? if so explain why.

-- Thanks for your Help --

chicagokitesurfer
Very Frequent Poster

Postby chicagokitesurfer » Fri Sep 13, 2002 1:22 am

You should start riding unhooked so your arms can be pulled in or out to keep good tension on the lines, also leaning more forward or back.

Hooking in as a beginner tends to get you pulled over on your face when you first start. Wear a helmet and elbow/knee pads.

Shin pads also help, believe it or not. When I first started with my MBS, I would ditch the board when getting pulled over it to stay on my feet and sometimes it would gash me in the shin on one of my legs...ouch.

V
http://www.chicagokitesurfing.com

Paraflysurf
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Paraflysurf » Sat Sep 21, 2002 9:52 pm

We got the dirtsurfer in our shop and we also use it for kiting.

For your first steps you should only use it on flat spots. Thats much easier when the wheels can rotate regular.

There are two ways to start riding.

The easy way is to have a "waterstart".

Sit on your ass and do everything you would do on a kiteboard when starting to ride - it works. The second possibility is to push the dirtsurfer with your left foot while the kite is coming from the right side of the window short bevore it comes into power zone. So you have the first kick and the increasing power of the kite will pull you on. The problem is to synchronize the moment of pushing your dirtsurfer and the moment when the kite reaches pulling-power.

Sounds strange but it works !!!!

Your Paraflysurf Team

Return to “Snow / Land”