Forum for snow- and landkiters
sq225917
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Cleethorpes, Hunstanton, Lytham
Gear: Eleveight and Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby sq225917 » Mon Nov 25, 2002 6:59 pm

going upwind on a snow board basically involves going in a spiral outwards over your forward shoulder. yes/no?

i hadn' thought of that.

Eric S
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Eric S » Mon Nov 25, 2002 8:28 pm

Post Deleted. Material was intended for non-commercial use. -Eric S
Last edited by Eric S on Thu Apr 03, 2003 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 25, 2002 11:22 pm

sq225917
cheers eric i hadn't really given the mechanics much thought even though i kite surf to a high level and snowboard.

vesku
Medium Poster

Postby vesku » Tue Nov 26, 2002 7:25 pm

Hi All!

I finally got some specs about King Snowglider for you. King is a German manufacturer of inflatable kites and kiteboards. The snowglider has worked fine and one of my kiting friends really love the board. I was wrong, it was not just a "normal snowboard".

http://www.nettilinja.fi/~eskone/kitesnowboard.htm

VESKU

chicagokitesurfer
Very Frequent Poster

Postby chicagokitesurfer » Tue Nov 26, 2002 10:46 pm

Thanks VESKU,

<a href="http://www.kiteboarding-online.com/kite ... -Online</a> talks about a company "K" that makes A-Boards in the US for kitesnowboarding, but the internet has no info on this company...

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 31, 2003 4:05 am

amen brother. get out and ride. who cares what you ride or who you think you ride for. it's not about the gear.

Eric S
Medium Poster

Postby Eric S » Fri Jan 31, 2003 2:23 pm

Post Deleted. Material was intended for non-commercial use. -Eric S
Last edited by Eric S on Thu Apr 03, 2003 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Guest » Thu Feb 13, 2003 5:16 am

Check out Donek.com They make custom snowboards with any sidecut radius you want (you can customize flex, dampening, length, width, etc). Unless you have small feet, a custom width is very important to eliminate boot out. This is only necessary if you like to do deep carves or if you kitesnowboard on hard snow. For example, I have size US 9.5 feet and I use a 26cm wide board board with my freestyle stance (0 and 15), but the typical width you can buy is around 24 to 24.5 - not wide enough for my taste. Prices start at about US $330 for a freeride, if you buy a stock one. His excellent reputation is based primarily on his race boards and carving boards, but he makes an excellent freeride board also. Most freeride/freestyle boards out there have a sidecut radius around 8.5 meters. With Donek, you can get a stock one with a radius of 11 meters to 15 meters. This would be more appropriate if you are on hard snow or ice. On soft snow or powder, or at very slow speeds, it doesn't matter as much. Some people say that skis have an advantage over a board when on ice. This is partly due to too deep of a side cut radius. Its not just about edge pressure, its also edge angle. The more edge angle you create, the tighter the turn radius which at speed, you won't be able to hold your carve, and you will skid out. Less side cut is better. I wish I could tell you the perfect radius, but I don't know. I suspect it will vary depending on conditions, but you could certainly get something better than a standard board. By the way, an 8.5 meter radius is deeper than a 15 meter radius. Picture a rope with one end affixed to the ground. As you move the other end around in a circle, this arc is the sidecut radius.

Alan

bubba
Medium Poster

Postby bubba » Fri Feb 14, 2003 4:27 am

I guess what would be nec. for a kite specific board would be;
built without directional tendancies (flex,tips,stance)
also as was mentioned less sidecut. I think this important because we all want more power and to hold that power you need to edge harder and if you have side cut you'll be fighting the curve and/or giving up power.

Most snowboards which are stiff and have little or no sidecut tend to be race boards and therefore are totally directionaly biased. On the other hand most unbiased (directionaly) boards are soft and have lots off sidecut (park boards).

I don't think a kite specific board is too outragous, sure the rest will work but...

SouthBasin
Medium Poster

Postby SouthBasin » Sun Mar 02, 2003 8:15 am

Right on Shwern!

Use any snowboard that's wide enough for your feet - so your toes and heels don't drag. Going in a straight line is not an issue - it's super easy to go straight. A board with very little or no side-cut wouldn't turn well - and that's part of the fun!
Find a cheap snowboard and get out and ride it - why would you want to pay more for a board that won't offer any significant advantages. Many of us have broken boards - cheap boards and expensive boards - so get a cheap one and go charge!

Send it!
Chris

Return to “Snow / Land”