Forum for snow- and landkiters
stormboarding
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Frenzy 7.3 '04 vs. '03 Test flight in Mad River Valley, VT

Postby stormboarding » Thu Jan 01, 2004 5:23 pm

Had a relatively steady day in the Mad River Valley, Vermont yesterday to get the 03 and 04 Frenzy 7.3's out together...

It was great fun and caused a bit of a traffic jam around our favorite farmer's field as people pulled over to watch.

We started in 5-8 kts (on skis, packed wet snow), the 04 was more stable, lighter on the bar and produced more power than the 03. The wingtips did not fold in as much and it was quicker turning especially at the edge of the window which in the usual shifts was a great feature.

Wind built to 10-15, 03 caught up a bit in flight performance but 04 remained a pleasure to fly. Everything on 04 worked perfectly from the chicken loop/depower which is a little shorter (excellent for smaller people like myself) to the webbing on the trim strap (rather than just a ball stop in mid-air) making that easily accesible as well. We tested the primary safety (disconnect just below trim cleat and above bar) - a little difficult to release while not under load but no problem under load, the kite just flagged around in the air for a bit though didn't pull to much.

We also really liked to ability to spin the bar to untwist the lines.

Overall we are psyched about the changes, the 04 is an awesome kite and are looking forward to more riding on the other sizes and in varying conditions.

WANTSOME

Postby WANTSOME » Fri Jan 02, 2004 9:35 pm

I hear ya..

I`ve flown both the 7.3 & 9.5 04`s now...they are so nice to fly...
But those brief flight`s have bin inland, so I`ve only flown them in gusty - turbulent wind condition`s. Today was a very different story though, I had 9.5 Frenzy04 & 03`s a nice beach and 15/16mph cross-onshore..

That 04`s just superb...soo much more responsive than the 03 kite..I love it..

I can`t wait to try my 12m when it get`s here..it`s on it`s way 2 me as I type this, should get it in a couple of day`s.

:bye:

WANTSOME

Postby WANTSOME » Mon Jan 05, 2004 10:46 pm

It turned up 2day...

Oh boy does it look mad in YELLOW..

I`ll get some more shot`s tomorrow when I rig it up..

:thumb:

vesku
Medium Poster

Postby vesku » Mon Jan 12, 2004 5:47 pm

I have been riding my Frenzy04 12m2 on ice couple of times in light winds 4-12 knots. It turns better than 03 and produces more power. But in gusty wind the wing tips folds during turns. It is more cosmetic issue because the steering works fine even tips folded and tips unfold easily.

Very good and balanced kite for light winds. It is stable to ride and it hadles gusts very well. For me it feels almost like high ar inflatable. So if you have been riding with inflatables and you want a hassle free open foil for winter (and land), I think Frenzy04 would be your choise.

My two cents...

VESKU

stormboarding
Frequent Poster

Postby stormboarding » Wed Jan 14, 2004 2:46 pm

Just came back from the PASA Snowkite Instructor Course in Montana in beautiful steady light-medium air. We got to try all of the '04 Frenzy kites (except the 5.0). My favorite was the 9.5 (for the same reasons I liked the 2004 7.3 just more power on days I needed it) and the big guys were ripping around - and up hills - on the 12m.

Just need a few more degrees in the air and a few inches to cover the ice...

rzm

Return to “Snow / Land”