Places in the NY area?

forum for snow- and landkiters

ilivni
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Places in the NY area?

Postby ilivni » Sat Jan 24, 2004 5:05 am

Anyone know of some places to snowkite around NYC?

kiteny
Medium Poster

Postby kiteny » Sun Jan 25, 2004 12:26 am

Hi! I'm one hour north of NYC on a big frozen lake. Additionally, there's an old airport that will become a park soon nearby, and it's a great, huge field, but not enough snow right now. As a bonus, the prevailing winds are purpendicular to the field.

There is also a group that snowkites periodically on Candlewood Lake, nearby in CT. Candlewood is over 11 miles long...

I'd love to hear from others in the area.

kopele
Rare Poster

Postby kopele » Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:59 pm

Hi guys!
I snowkite second year. I leave 1 hour north of NY – Peekskill, Westchester.
I kited mainly at Orange Lake. Yesterday though I was told I can’t kite there any more.
It is a private lake. Too bad – it was perfect. The surface was hard packed snow – perfect for skis. I kited at Croton park on the river – north side – 1 inch of snow, close to the beach – the rest, blue ice…I want to try Candlewood lake. It is a big lake. Where do you guys launch from at Candlewood? Is there anybody having any info about Lake Wallenpaupack – it is 1 h 30 min from me ob 84 west on the Pennsylvania border. What about lakes in Putnam, along 87 north – Slyvan and Whaley? Any info will be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

kopele
Rare Poster

Postby kopele » Tue Feb 10, 2004 8:01 pm

Hi it is me again. Which is the lake you are talking about in you message? Is it a private lake and how is the access?

Return to “Snow / Land”