All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 2:22 am 
Rare Poster

Paul,
Fly into Burlington, VT airport. You can literally kite downtown on the waterfront. The event site is about 15-20 minutes north of Burlington. It is at a location called Sandbar. Cool spot. It is about a mile long causeway from the mainland out onto South Hero Island. I sailed there this afternoon. Parked my pickup about a half mile from shore. Like out on the lake. About a foot of good snow. About 2 feet of ice. Some wind predicted in the afternoon tomorrow. Hope to see a crew out there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 2:17 pm 
Medium Poster

Paul,
http://www.jetblue.com flys out of san juan

$160 rt
Between Burlington and Orlando, Tampa, Fort Myers, West Palm Beach or Fort Lauderdale.....

at that price all the snowbirds can return to their roots.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 11:33 pm 
Rare Poster

About a half dozen of us gave the Sandbar site a goodly session today. Wind was averaging 20 for awhile. About 10 inches of windblown powder. Great stuff. There is a wind monitor here, run by Iwindsurf.com. It is the Sandbar meter. Reads good on west through northeast. Blocked on south winds. C'mon out and play.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 2:10 am 
Frequent Poster

cold island... I was bummed to have missed this weekend at the Sandbar but doing my snow and wind dances for the Kitestorm.

I will be riding next Sunday (Feb 15th) afternoon on the Burlington Waterfront to show off the sport at the Winter Festival - love to have those of you who were riding today come out as well!

Paul: It will be awesome to have you here...Jet Blue is the best value though the farthest south they are is Ft. Lauderdale otherwise US Air and United might still have their little price war going on (we also get Delta and NW but not Southwest).

Think snow and breeze...rzm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 12:46 pm 
Rare Poster

Team Vermont,
What is going on with the event? I am guessing that this is a relatively informal event. It will still be fun to ride with a bunch of enthusiasts.

Today we are going to sail the Sandbar in the morning. Wind is supposed to be about 20. Great snowcover. C'mon out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 1:38 am 
Frequent Poster

More than informal - we are trying to spread the word (missed today for the Kids Camp Fair where the Semnoz Tour DVD mesmerized kids, parents and even the Governor)!

Last details should come together early this week but over the weekend of Feb 28-29, the Kitestorm will have:

-Ozone kites to demo...check out the Frenzy that everyone is talking about
-Free Intro to Kite lessons...bring your mom, your buddy, your kids...
-Prizes (ones you want)...for fastest speed run, tricks +
-Skis/boards to demo...try a fat twin tip or a carver-so far it looks like we'll have some Dynastar skis, should have more sorted for Monday
-After the Storm Party in Burlington Saturday night
-ripping riders, new riders and people who want to be riders all psyched to show off, share tricks, tips and have a great time on the Lake

...and more to be announced! Headquarters at Sand Bar Inn.

I met a few of the Sandbar crew yesterday and look forward to seeing more of you at the event!

rzm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:38 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Rachael,
Sounds excellent! Hoping for a fresh dump before then. Hope we get a good crew to play. There were 6 of us out on Saturday, and that was only part of the crew.
Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 5:10 pm 
Rare Poster

Sounds like lots of interest. I have friends coming from Cape Cod. Snow cover was excellent yesterday. Had enough snow to almost get my 4 wheel drive stuck on the ice. Deep soft and holds a great edge.

Post subject: Vermont Kitestorm
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 1:52 pm 
Conditions are GREAT here. In the Albany area, just north of Albany, Saturday was all snow. Yesterday was just outstanding. It blew 15 to 25 WNW from 8 AM till sundown (other than for the 20 minute period when it blew about 35 to 40; my friends who showed up couldn't figure out why I was laying on my back with the kite at zenith :o Finally this squall (can you have a squall in winter?) passed and the wind was just outstanding). The snow is so deep I didn't wear my hockey pants (about 8 to 12 inches in depth). I'd imagine Champlain also has excellent cover and a few of us will be making the trip up to South Hero for the weekend.
If anyone is interested we ride at Great Sacandaga Resevoir just northwest of Albany (about 35 miles). It is a HUGE lake that has access points on all directions(check out a map). Anything out of the west (do we get anything but NW, W or SW in the winter) is just great but all directions are rideable. W and NW, which are usually gusty and up and down are outstanding here. The westerlies run the length of the Mohawk Valley before reaching the Lake and the BEST. We usually launch at the NY State Boat Launch at Broadalbin. Its about 210 to 220 miles from NYC (with all but the last 10 or 15 miles being Thruway driving). There's a big parking lot there that's plowed whenever they feel like it but its no problem negotiating as long as you dont drive into deep snow. In a pinch you can park up on the road just past the no parking signs (not really enforced in winter but you never know when somebody wants to write a ticket). Hope we get some wind next weekend because the conditions couldn't get any better :thumb:

Post subject: family
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 12:51 am 
Anyone know what kind of Facilites are at the Place. I'm Thinking of taking my Familt but we have a 1, 2, & 4 year old. my wife would like to see some of the new Kites and stuff but we don't want to have to sit in the car half the time with the kids while the other checks things out.

Thanks
Brian

[ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next