How to keep a kite in the window?

Forum for snow- and landkiters
kiteny
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

How to keep a kite in the window?

Postby kiteny » Thu Jan 29, 2004 4:36 am

I just got my Frenzy 7.3 today...previously I've only flown a Slingshot B3...what a difference!

When I ski purpendicular to the wind, how do I keep the kite in the power window? The kite tends to move forward of the window -- in the same direction I'm moving. I fly the kite up and down, but I can't seem to keep it back far enough. With my B3, I would often have to fly it in somewhat of a figure 8 as I go forward, but the Frenzy doesn't seem to turn fast enough to do that.

The wind was probably around 15 mph.

Thanks!

Seth

WANTSOME

Postby WANTSOME » Thu Jan 29, 2004 2:48 pm

If your not stearing away from the kite then the line`s will slacken off, which in-turn will reduce the stearing response of the kite...

If I`m not wanting to go upwind but still want 2 maintain a 1/2 decent speed going across the wind, I`d just loop the kite..

toyletbowl
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Olbrich, Governor Nelson, Tenney, Burrows and McDaniels.
Favorite Beaches: Olbrich on SW and McDaniels on a SSW.
Sheboygan when it blows hard on a NE.
Style: Waves, Twin tip and Foilboards.
Gear: Whatever is available.
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, Slingshot, Core, Armstrong, Axis, NP Surf, Ride engine, Mystic. www.kiteridersllc.com

Postby toyletbowl » Thu Jan 29, 2004 4:54 pm

Increase your board speed. Can you pump this kite? This will increase your speed. I have a Flysurfer Psycho and you don't figure 8 it at all. Pump it for speed and use less edge pressue to keep it in the window better.

burny
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby burny » Thu Jan 29, 2004 5:37 pm

Only depower the frenzy as much as necessary at the Clam Cleat, not more. Pulling in the bar when necessary tightens the backlines even more and makes the Kite sitting further back in the wind window.

You should also fly it further back on the upstroke. And what about some wax for your skies.

The Frenzy needs a little bit of getting used to, but then it turns out to be one of the best kites especially on snow.

kiteny
Medium Poster

Postby kiteny » Fri Jan 30, 2004 3:22 am

Thanks everyone! I was out for a few hours today, and am definitely getting better with the kite. The winds were stronger today, and that seemed to make it easier to keep the kite in the window. With some time and experimenting, it should better.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Flyboy » Sat Jan 31, 2004 6:21 pm

Sounds like you were just not powered up enough. You shouldn't really have to sine the B3 or the Frenzy if you're powered up. I have flown the B3 a lot & in really strong wind I would not sine it at all. You just need more power & you'll actually be looking to keep it forward in the window. :thumb:

kiteny
Medium Poster

Postby kiteny » Sun Feb 01, 2004 2:20 am

That was my first time with the Frenzy. Today we had a MONSTER session -- over 20 miles under kite power according to my GPS. Higher winds, too, and you are right -- I was under-powered. With enough wind, the Frenzy stays wherever you put it.

I must say that after putting a number of hours on the kite, I'm extremely impressed with it. It is very stable, and it just wants to fly. You have to work hard to keep it on the ground. Plus, the setup is brilliant and the controls and safety systems work well.

Return to “Snow / Land”