Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Hoovering Jumps

Forum for snow- and landkiters
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Hoovering Jumps

Postby Guest » Sat Feb 21, 2004 2:07 am

I discovered an interesting phenomenom while jumping on the side of hills. I go big, by pointing my snowboard/skis downhill and jumping. Several times when I was really powered up, I found myself just hoovering above the ground. It is a really weird feeling. I have never experienced this sensation on water or flat surfaces. Most of the time on the water even in gusty conditions my body was either going up or down during a jump. I am not talking about the elevator effect where you start to drop and get lifted again. I am talking about a feeling of hoovering slowly downwind (uphill) 10 - 20 feet above the ground. I like going big, but I have to admit that this sense of hoovering is downright scary.

Anyone else experience this?

You can really go big on a hill with skis, I am amazed how much more air I can get on snow compared to the water. It freaks me out sometimes.

Hangwind
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

ridge lift

Postby Hangwind » Fri Feb 27, 2004 1:51 am

...orographic lift, you are "soaring" in the lift band. This is how gliders (para - hang - sailplane - you) stay aloft in front of a ridge.

The wind is deflected "upward" by the hill where your forward speed closely proximates the windspeed, the band of lift extends outward and upwind from the hill.

Any elementary gliding book will describe this phenom. Do an internet search for "ridge lift" and you will educate yourself further.

Have fun.

oli
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby oli » Fri Feb 27, 2004 2:52 pm

In French, it's called "vol de pente", something like "slope flight"...
See some vids of Chastagnols and overs... They do make some
insane flights ( can't speak of jumps anymore...),
more than 100 m. long...
:bye:

Return to “Snow / Land”