Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The Dam Beach
Favorite Beaches: Lake Michigan Beaches, OBX
Gear: Airush, Switch, Pansh, Kites, LF boards, Home Brewed Foils and boards
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Pully Bar with a 4 line kite

Postby bay surfer » Fri Jul 16, 2004 1:22 am

Just to trow this out foil crowd?? Just wondering if any one has tied it. On my quadrafoil the control lines are close to center and the brakes are on the outside of my bar. Now my LEI turns faster with a pully, would my 4 line foils turn faster??

bay surfer
Very Frequent Poster

Postby bay surfer » Mon Jul 26, 2004 5:28 pm

Throwing this back up to the top.

zfennell
Very Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby zfennell » Mon Jul 26, 2004 5:59 pm

it should,
but i can't prove it.

i added a UDS trim setup (paraflysurf) to an F-one shadow along with a pulley at the top of the trim strap.
it turned much faster, but i never did enough testing to confirm the relative effects of the pully vs. the UDS.

additionally I WACd a 12.5 warrior and added a pulley at the top of the center flying line. (with the v-line running through the pulley)
unfortunately, the pulley had no discernable effect.

on the bright side i believe, adding a trim system like a WAC or UDS will make it turn faster.

-bill

bay surfer
Very Frequent Poster

Postby bay surfer » Tue Aug 17, 2004 4:12 pm

Pully bars rules with a four line foil, my bar is free of control lines and the on the fly brake line adjustment worked really good, turning speed seemed to be the same or maybe better, but it turned really fast before. autokill worked perfect, (letting go of the bar), Braking and landing worked as expected.
As to the setup on my bar, the brake lines were attached to the pully strap and also the kite safety tether. The control lines to the ends of the bar.
Note the on the fly brake adjustment is nice in gusty conditions because it keep the kite lower in the window so it does not overfly and hindinburg, also the kite seemed to turn much faster with more brake, I could see the flaps were more ingaged when turning. :D

buggy boy

Spider Bar

Postby buggy boy » Sun Aug 22, 2004 5:04 am

try building your own spider bar set up. I use it on an Quadrifoil XL and it rocks. it will cost you under $10. if you already have a bar. i'm using a flexi bar from one of my blades.

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/Wi ... eboarders/

try this link and go to photos and open the"spider bar" photo album. you may need to register to view

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 15, 2004 6:40 pm

No

It doesnt work trust me

for leis and depowerable foils only :thumb:

bay surfer
Very Frequent Poster

Postby bay surfer » Wed Sep 22, 2004 2:53 am

Guest do you know how a pully bar works....
The bar seems to be the best for me for adjustment as I go, I may only adjust it once during a session. The kite turns good or better and I can ride unhooked.
My other option would be the old three line pully (UDS) system like a flysurfer. Which I Have on my f-one, that works fine, but its overkill on a 5M kite, plus its hard to ride unhooked.
Tried to WAC that old f-one, the kite flew really wierd, the angle of attack line ripped out at the adjustment, took the WAC lines off the kite flew really nice in standard flysurfer mode.
Monkey bar would work nice. A friend gave me instructions interesting but looks complicated if you rig it with on the fly depower which could be done, but would clear the bar of lines.
I've use a longhorn bar, worked but could never get use to a asymetric bar.

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 02, 2004 1:27 pm

Pully bars will work on any 4 line kite , BUT it all depends on what you want it to do .
It will not increase turn rates on a normal foil , it will act just like any other 4 line bar and the trimmer will act as on the fly brake adjustment .
and can be leashed to act as a safety .

the pully bar can work with depowerables and certain other normal foils such as possibly a Mac Bego .
as the pully bar is designed for use with LEIs it only has any effect on kites that turn using brake line pressure not mainline pressure .

most fixed bridle foils do not like being steered on brakes alone and as such the pulley bar provides more of a handicap in this respect .
however it allows frenzy, flysurfer users to do handle passes etc due to the lack of a chicken loop running through the bar .

Return to “Snow / Land”