Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Utah Snow Report - Incredible Early Season Conditions

Forum for snow- and landkiters
fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Utah Snow Report - Incredible Early Season Conditions

Postby fernmanus » Thu Oct 28, 2004 3:12 am

Alta Ski Resort already has a 52" base (all natural, no snow making) with 1 - 2 more feet to arrive by Saturday. Brighton ski resort is planning on opening this weekend wtih a 54" base as of today. That means there is plenty of snow for snowkiting at high elevation this weekend in Utah. All of this snow has come from a a giant low system that has been sitting over Utah for the past 10 days. The total snow that has fallen at Alta is around 7 feet!

I plan on meeting up with the Windzup crew this weekend. Bryan, please let me know where you will be going.

It is time to put away the water gear and get out on the snow!

Kenny

Windzup
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Skyline and Strawbs
Favorite Beaches: Any Mountain with snow and wind.
Style: funky
Gear: my favorite kite
Brand Affiliation: NONE, Be yourself and fly what you like... I do like Ozone People tho!
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Ozone Snowkiting at Skyline

Postby Windzup » Thu Oct 28, 2004 5:42 pm

Hey Kenny, The OZ team will be hosting one of their first Snowkite Freeride Sessions of the season this Saturday at Skyline Drive in Utah. The crew will be on hand with the entire 05 line to demo including the new Imp, Samurai and Frenzy 05 kites! Everyone is welcome to come join us for a taste of the early season snow.

Conditions as of last night were 2 feet of solid pack snow, 9 meter Frenzy conditions with winds ranging from 15-25 mph throughout the day.

Windzup,

Brian Schenck
801-501-8300
team@windzup.com
Ozone Kites USA

bay surfer
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The Dam Beach
Favorite Beaches: Lake Michigan Beaches, OBX
Gear: Airush, Switch, Pansh, Kites, LF boards, Home Brewed Foils and boards
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby bay surfer » Thu Oct 28, 2004 5:59 pm

Oh Mann, Hope ya have fun, Whe're sort of tween seasons in northern MI, wish I had time for a road trip to Utah.

Windzup
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Skyline and Strawbs
Favorite Beaches: Any Mountain with snow and wind.
Style: funky
Gear: my favorite kite
Brand Affiliation: NONE, Be yourself and fly what you like... I do like Ozone People tho!

Epic early season for Utah Snowkiters

Postby Windzup » Mon Nov 01, 2004 2:39 am

Saturday was great at Skyline, the wind was light at the bottom by the cars, but a few loops of the kite and off we all went downwind and uphill. Once on top of the Skyline ridge the winds were solid for riding all day long.

At about 4pm after everyone left, the sky cleared out and the sun turned on. I threw my trusty 12 meter Frenzy back out for a sunset session and cruised across the ridgeline experiencing the sweetest views I have ever seen. Snow-capped mountains for 50 miles in any direction, with clouds hanging low in the valley below me. The orange glaze of the sun lit up the untracked pow and I chased it up and down the hill. As fatigue from riding all day set in, I killed my kite, rolled it up, and dropped into a waist deep powder stash on the back side of the hill. So Sweet!

I had the best Snowkite session ever at Skyline and it is still only October, I'm so psyched for the rest of the season.

So the word is out, Utah is on, so come on out and play if you have the jones. By the way, it has been snowing all day today, Freshies tomorrow!

Windzup,
Brian Schenck
info@windzup.com

pdnaj
Rare Poster

Postby pdnaj » Thu Nov 04, 2004 4:30 pm

will be out there with the family at Canyons over X-mas..how do i find guys to hook up with ..what size Kite to bring if i can fit only one?

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Sat Nov 06, 2004 7:15 am

pdnaj,

The wind we get in the mountains is generated by frontal winds and jet stream winds. You just never know in advance. If you could only bring one kite, I would bring a 10M Frenzy. You could always work it in light wind and it has a lot of depower.

There is a field near Park City that we used to snow kite on a couple years ago called Swaner Preserve. We haven't worked out access yet, so I don't know if we will be able to use it this winter or not. If we are able, you will be able to see kites on an open field near I-80 while you are on the slopes at the Canyons.

I will be away during the holidays, but you can contact other kiters by logging onto the UWA message board http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/utahwa/

Kenny

Return to “Snow / Land”