Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

upgrade to 04 Frenzy safety system?

Forum for snow- and landkiters
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

upgrade to 04 Frenzy safety system?

Postby Guest » Sat Nov 20, 2004 5:52 pm

If you are not using a wrist leash it seems to me that the Primary Security on the 04 Frenzy could use an upgrade. To quote from the instruction manual:

"Pulling the orange handle below the Clamcleat will release the front lines, the kite will then stall and fall to the ground"

Ever since I read that I have been thinking that there has to be a better way, especially since it sounds like they have upgraded this on the 05 kites. Where do the front lines go? Do you have to grovel around in the snow looking for them and then try and reassemble it in the wind with your fingers freezing off? It sounds like it.

I was wondering if attaching something like 1/8" bungee cord or one of those curly outboard motor safety cords between the two ends might work. Has anybody tried something? How long of a cord would you need?

Regards,
George (George.Swerhone@sasktel.net)

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:39 am

Great idea George...That is what I like about you...always trying to improve on equipment. I know that would probably be an easy fix to this situation but on the other hand chasing those lines down isn't really all that bad. The two front lines will stay together when you pull the release and then you could use an ice screw to hold the kite down by the back lines. Get ahold of the front lines and it is just a matter of a pin and velcro to put it all back together again. This is true for when you are over ice that is. I don't know what the land kitesnowboarders use to anchor there kite over frozen ground? We do most of our riding over frozen lakes where the good ole' ice screw is almost essential.
:thumb:

You guys have ice yet? Snow?

See ya George...

Jason
http://www.bs-usa.com

Windzup
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Skyline and Strawbs
Favorite Beaches: Any Mountain with snow and wind.
Style: funky
Gear: my favorite kite
Brand Affiliation: NONE, Be yourself and fly what you like... I do like Ozone People tho!

Postby Windzup » Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:20 pm

Hey George, the simplest fix would be to upgrade your 04 bar to the new 05 bar. They are both compatible, I have flown 05's on the 04 bar and visa versa.

The 05 uses a pulley 3 feet up the center leader line. This lets the front lines out and automatically pulls in the back (brake) lines. To reload, just pull the front line in to the pulley, grab the center line and reconnect the pin, and you are flying.

Good luck with your modifications.
Windzup,
Brian Schenck

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:29 pm

Jason; we have no snow yet but things are freezing over and I think some of the small lakes should be OK (4-6") by the weekend. The forecast (for what its worth) is for 5°F lows so the ice will thicken up fast. I should have some time to figure these line modifications out. I think I will just try it under controlled conditions (in the park), see how it works and report the results. I have an extra outboard motor kill switch cable laying around.

Barry; that is a good idea, would I have to replace the bar or just the leader lines?

Regards,
George

Geir

Postby Geir » Tue Nov 23, 2004 5:02 pm

After having my frenz 04 9.5 for half a year I read in a manual where the primary security is. I tried it and it really worked. Unlike the normal safety leash which attaches to the "hand brake". I've tried letting the whole thing go while kite-surfing on water on to the normal safety leash and it wasn't pretty. Thankfully I was on water because there was no change in the foil shape (I was fully lit up).
After seeing pictures of the 05 bar it made me think. I fitted about a 20 cm thin bungee rope-thing which extends to about 1 meter. I also put a matching velcro to the small flip that lock the orange handle over. I just found that it completely locked the primary safety making impossible to pull or at the very least a lot of a struggle in critical situations.
This seems to work, at least yesterday when I rolled onto my back while kitesnowboarding well powered up.
When it came down without any pull it just sat there (although it was that windy by the time that I couldn't fit the pin back in without it wanting to go up again - would have had to anchor the leading lines handbrake properly to make it work).

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:22 am

You really ought to take a look at the 05 bar. It is far easier to work with than the homemade versions you have described. Not only does it have the pulley system that Brian described. It also has a sewn in loop at the end of the leader on both of the backlines that you can loop around each end of the control bar. So all you have to do is connect your chicken loop to your ice screw or snow anchor and put the loops around the ends of the control bar. When it comes time to put the pin release back together the kite stays depowered until you release both loops. It makes launching and relaunching a breeze.

Kenny

Geir

Postby Geir » Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:43 am

I def. will. Our Icelandic Ozone dealer is getting them in a few weeks time. Although I feel a bit safer with these mods I made for now.

Geir

Return to “Snow / Land”