Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Blimp inflation / self landing

Forum for snow- and landkiters
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Blimp inflation / self landing

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 23, 2004 3:12 am

When I inflate my struts I always seem to have one side of the trailing edge flap when moving. Is this due to under inflation. Since my time is spent mostly on land is underinflation better? I woonder about overinflating then crashing on the ground. I've been told different things : pump up all until rock hard but then not too hard b/c if you crash you could pop the bladder...... Also I usually kite alone and have been pulling the quick release to land. Fly to side of window or to 12, pull QR. This does not allow the kite to stay at the edge of the window b/c as it drops it gets taken downwind which is no big deal I just wonder about the kite jamming down hard on the leading edge. Anyone got any ideas/help. Thanks

Gamelord
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Gamelord » Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:22 pm

LEI's will eventually burst when crashed leading edge down on land (or even water if hard enough) regardless of how hard you pump up the leading edge, just one of the bad characteristics these kites have. Other than that, they are excellent kites and work just fine. Usually if you pump the bladder a bit firmer you will get increased performance out of the kite, faster turns, better feel. Underinflated is not that bad as long as the kite can still maintain good shape during flight but you will have a decrease in performance.

For land use I would suggest using a ram-air foil instead. Better performance, easier to launch/land by yourself, will pack down smaller, you can usually purchase 3-4 high performance kites for the price of one LEI, no pumping and no leading edge to burst. IMHO :thumb:

Return to “Snow / Land”