Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Inflation / self landing

Forum for snow- and landkiters
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Inflation / self landing

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:27 pm

When I inflate my struts I always seem to have one side of the trailing edge flap when moving. Is this due to under inflation. Since my time is spent mostly on land is underinflation better? I woonder about overinflating then crashing on the ground. I've been told different things : pump up all until rock hard but then not too hard b/c if you crash you could pop the bladder...... Also I usually kite alone and have been pulling the quick release to land. Fly to side of window or to 12, pull QR. This does not allow the kite to stay at the edge of the window b/c as it drops it gets taken downwind which is no big deal I just wonder about the kite jamming down hard on the leading edge. Anyone got any ideas/help. Thanks

bay surfer
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The Dam Beach
Favorite Beaches: Lake Michigan Beaches, OBX
Gear: Airush, Switch, Pansh, Kites, LF boards, Home Brewed Foils and boards
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby bay surfer » Thu Nov 25, 2004 5:08 am

3 things:
LEI bladders dont seem to burst when its cold and on the snow, Make the bladder how you like it.
Take the kite to the edge of the window and turtle it.
Ice screw/on ice or dog screw/land till you snow the leading edge.

wreknball
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby wreknball » Thu Nov 25, 2004 5:15 pm

Under- inflation does effect how the kite will fly. In the winter i pump as much air as i can into them because the kite will lose air do to the condensed cold air. An underinflated kite will do what they call "jellyfhish" or "taco." This means that if there is not enough air in the leading edge the kite will not hold it's shape when under power. If the cause of the noise is not underinflation, take into consideration that some kites just make noise. it is in the design of the kite. sometimes this can be corrected in the way you fly the kite. I had a kite set up on a four line bar that would make a flapping noise on the trailingedge when i would start my power stroke. i rode with the bar let out all the way against the stopper ball. the trailing edge flapped because there was no tention on the rear lines. all i did to stop the noise was pull the bar towards me and just put a little tention on thost rear lines, but not enough to "flare" the kite and slow it down.
I hope this helps you , joel

Return to “Snow / Land”