Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Inflatable vs. non

Forum for snow- and landkiters
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Guest » Wed Dec 01, 2004 9:44 pm

UNSAFE wrote:If you kite on the water and snow kite at easy access areas like lakes and fields use your Lei, it turns faster and has a familiar feel, plus you don't want two quivers do you? sell at end of each season? Yeah, Try selling those snow kites in the spring when you want new inflatables for water, good luck. If you are only riding snow, foils are simple and a good choice. Riding backcountry? Got to think the foil is the way to go as it packs way smaller so you can bring 2-3 kites in a bag for the day with no pump, wouldn't want to carry 3 leis on a long hike to a spot. I guess a PL is a compromise but the big ones are pigs as are pretty much all big foils.
No.the big ones are not pigs anymore.We used the 19 Venom in the backcountry and the performance on snow was awesome(water too)There is definitely a snow/water combo kite worth a look in.

All the best

lach

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Flyboy » Thu Dec 02, 2004 4:09 pm

As far as inflating is concerned, inflating the LE really isn't that much of a problem, as you can afford to lose some air while you're wrestling in the stopper with frostbitten fingers.

The problem is the struts, particularly the small ones. Inflating them indoors & leaving them inflated is a good idea, & having them a bit softer than you would for the water (because of contracting air as it cools), doesn't effect the performance that much - the performance is still going to equal most foils.

The big advantage with foils is that you can easily back them down onto the snow at any time & take a break, & then relaunch in an instant...

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:51 pm

When you use a pump the air is heated as it passes through the pump. In the winters of 2000/01 2001/02, I used LEI's all winter and I noticed on cold days that the bladders were all soft after an hour or so on the snow
exactly what is it in the pump that is heating up the air? doesn't it just suck the air into the chamber and blow it out the hose?
if you ask me, i think you had a hole in your bladder on that particular day.

zfennell
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby zfennell » Fri Dec 24, 2004 4:35 am

When you use a pump the air is heated as it passes through the pump. In the winters of 2000/01 2001/02, I used LEI's all winter and I noticed on cold days that the bladders were all soft after an hour or so on the snow
exactly what is it in the pump that is heating up the air? doesn't it just suck the air into the chamber and blow it out the hose?
if you ask me, i think you had a hole in your bladder on that particular day.
compressing the air causes it to heat up a bit.
the reverse happens when you vent the air out.

Return to “Snow / Land”