Forum for snow- and landkiters
Boogey
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

NORTH HUSKY LTD any good on water too?

Postby Boogey » Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:08 am

I just saw the North Husky Ltd on Kiteworld Mag.
Looks real nice, like the Ozone and Flysurfers but with closed cells (valves) like the voodoo. The North website claims its fast, maneuvrable and has good boosting, plus it fully depowers. Is that true? It probably is just fine on snow , but is it any good in water, by that I mean does it fill up with water if you dump it, or can it keep air in an drelaunch like the Flysurfer? Does it really go to no power if you depower it? Anybody out there who used it, please tell me more. Is it expensive relative to the others?

Whats the bar set up like? Is the leash through the middle or do you have it off to the side of the bar?

Looking forward to some input. Thanks
:bye:

D_Clark
Very Frequent Poster

Postby D_Clark » Wed Dec 01, 2004 3:27 am

I don't know about the new LTD.

I did a demo with the Husky last year and found it to be a total piece of crap. It didn't help that it came with no instrctions and the guys at the local shop were also clueless about it.

I tried to use it to snow kite and couldn't figure it out. I ended up getting dragged for many yards by the leash. The leash later failed and I almost had to buy the kite as it was headed for the trees. After much more experience kiteboarding, I would have to say that the Husky is a bad copy of a flysurfer.

As for the water use, It doesn't have weep holes like a Flysurfer as far as I could tell.

I hope this helps.

- DC

md
Rare Poster

Postby md » Wed Dec 01, 2004 4:22 am

Can't comment on the new Husky LTD either.

DC: Your experience reminds me of when I started kiting several years ago when most foils gave that sort of introduction to the sport. Turned most riders including me away from foils at first, now after several years of R & D things have totaly turned around.

The first shipment of Flysurfer Extacy's arrives in Edmonton this week. Boogy: Make sure and try one out before you buy. Proven depower, safety systems, stability, power range, and water relaunchability.

I tested them in Tarifa and can't wait to get them on the snow. Only problem is the lack of snow. Will have to go to the mountains to find some.

Send me an email and I will try to arrange a demo.

md
flysurfer.ca

the_lone_wolf
Very Frequent Poster

Postby the_lone_wolf » Wed Dec 01, 2004 4:51 pm

i'm not surprised people are having issues with north foils, they are just old flysurfer designs, the husky is an OEM FS warrior with standard wac, and from the pictures the LDT bears a striking resemblence to the psycho

try the new generation flysurfers (P2 and extacy) if you want to see what the current crop of foils are like :thumb:

bobbi o
Frequent Poster

Postby bobbi o » Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:22 am

the husky is excellent for land use and perfect for snowkiting,to de-power simply pull the bar toward you.it comes with the scepter bar,so has a nice safety system for when things go tits up.the husky was my first foil,so got some feedback from a longtime ozone/plynn flier for the initial set up and tuning and he was happy enough with the performance and turning speed and with his past foil experience was able to offer an educated view,compared with other similair kites he has used. personally i can recommend this kite to anyone looking for a good land based foil,and from my experience over the last 9 months have no negative comments to make about it.

sq225917
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Cleethorpes, Hunstanton, Lytham
Gear: Eleveight and Flysurfer

Postby sq225917 » Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:36 am

i flew the estacy over the weekend in the uk, i though the psycho was a great but not too stable kite, the proto titan was the best foil i've flown, the serial titans were shite, the voodos werent much better but way stable the p"'s were very good but had hideous backstall and the exstacy takes the best of all of them and puts it together.

the exacy is the best all use kite flysurfer have made.

and i've flown them all.

easy-speeds-masts-warriors-psychos-titans-voodoos-p2's and now the exstacy.

i'd reccomend you give it a spin.

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:44 am

Can someone please post links to reviews and techincal information regarding the North Husky Ltd kite, since Norths owen pages don't contain information about it.

Thanks

Boogey
Rare Poster

North kite link

Postby Boogey » Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:30 am

Hi,
This is what I found. It was in KiteWorld Mag. I spoke to guys at a shop near here, who use them. They said it was a great kite on snow, 9.3 has same power as 14 m2 LEI on water, 7.3 is rceommende don snow. It works in water because it has valves (closed foils), easy relaunch etc... don't know what next, might have to try the Extacy but mucho $$$$$ I bet! Anyway here's the North link:

Looks like a Ozone with closed cells and cheap. The bar is the same as for North LEIs, looks fine.

http://www.northkites.com/index.cfm

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:39 pm

I have flewn the new Husky Ltd 7.3 against the Ozone Frenzy05 7. Also I have flewn the Husky Ltd 11.3.

As the Husky and Frenzy were about the same size those did have about the same power. As the bar has much longer movement in Husky it has more power/depower adjustment without touching the depower strap.

I was suprised that Husky was faster to turn than Frenzy05 and also this way it has better pop for the jumps as the Frenzy was more like a elastic band (I am used to the pop with LEIs).

Frenzy has lighter bar pressure, but also lighter feedback from the kites movements. Both were good in their own way and it is just what do you prefer and to what you are used to, light or more steady.

As Husky is more closed it handled the quick wind drops with much less problems as the Frenzy collapses much easier if gust or wind drops suddenly. Also in Husky the tips do not collapse so easily in tight turns.

Frenzy may have a little softer feel when gust hits.

Both kites are stable in the sky and do not need constant quiding.

If released to leash both kites loses 99% of power and drops nicely and stays on the ground. I said 99% since no kite can be 100% powerless when they have any surface against the wind, but the 1% left is almost nothing and just enough to keep the tension on the breaks and kite down on the ground.

Both kites has pin quickreleases. Also in the leashline. Both are easy to assemble back after release. Huskys quickrelease is near the chicken loop and complete release in the near end of leash line. Frenzys quickrelease is under the depower strap and to full release is in the chickenloop. I find the quickrelease better near the chickenloop as you may not be able to reach the strap after fall down and a drag, but using this with Frenzy releases you completely from the kite.

The leash in Husky Ltd does not go through the bar and this way the bar is not spinnable. Huskys leash is attached to harness with a strap. This is the one thing that is better with Frenzy as it has new release and leash system and chickenloop line is the leash line.

I found the Husky Ltd to be very good kite and this way I think the Frenzy has a quite good competitor.

If you have any questions about this I'll try to answer.

Tapio
Rare Poster

Postby Tapio » Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:40 pm

The last comment was mine.

Return to “Snow / Land”