f-one foil

forum for snow- and landkiters

escaladorjoe
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

f-one foil

Postby escaladorjoe » Sat Jan 15, 2005 3:40 am

Hello all, I just received an old f-one foil and have no clue how to set up the lines.
How I see it it has a bridle system and it has two rear lines that go through a ring on each of the bridle lines.
I didn’t get the original bar and I want to adapt one of my bars to it.
Does anyone have any experience with an old f-one foil that can explain on how I can set this up?

tia
joe

bay surfer
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: The Dam Beach
Favorite Beaches: Lake Michigan Beaches, OCX
Gear: Airush, Best, LF boards, Home Brewed Foils and boards

Postby bay surfer » Sat Jan 15, 2005 4:34 am

One cut out the the intake valve selves, it inflates faster, then set the bridles up like a old flysurfer, or like a New ozone with depower. Works great turns on a dime and its has a nice depower just like the expensive kites, and 3 lines. Try to make a pully system at the bar like the old flysurfers saves the arms. but You can use a chicken loop setup if need be.
Tried the Wac setup with my ATK did not work, but the old pully system works great.
Q-line works great for finagalling, and changing line lengths.

NSKITER
Medium Poster

f-one foil

Postby NSKITER » Sat Jan 15, 2005 4:51 am

Hi Joe,

Here is a link for you: http://www.downhaul.com/kites/030112/ . This setup will improve the turning speed a little. Otherwise connect the two brakes together and to a leash at the bar. The two power lines go to the ends of the bar. Some (lei) bars cannot handle the power lines being at the ends of the bar so be aware of the strength of your bar.

If you come from lei's make sure you do NOT attach the safety to one of the front lines. You will end up with a powered up kite spinning with the bar out of reach.

Should the kite be a large(7m or 9m) one you may want to depower it. A bridle kit from http://www.pegaskites.com will work well on this kite. A depower bar is also needed, such as one from lei kites. I have a similar system on mine and it improved it quite a bit.
Enjoy, Terry.

NSKITER
Medium Poster

f-one foils

Postby NSKITER » Sat Jan 15, 2005 5:01 am

Hi Craig,

I just noticed your post after I did mine. When you cut out the sleeves, did you find the stability was compromised? Just wondering , if no change I will do this to mine. The thing I like the least about it is getting it inflated in low winds. I have the 9m and use it in less than 12mph. Always found it a pain to get inflated/deflated. Sounds lika a great mod, thanks.

Terry.

Postby Guest » Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:00 pm

Man I've got two F-one's I bought for water kiting and hardly ever used. Some of these mod's look kinda complicated -- anyone of you guys have any interest in getting paid some dough to mod these kites out and give them new life as snow kites? New ozones are too steep for me, and pumping and pinching in the cold sounds like a drag.

bay surfer
Very Frequent Poster

Postby bay surfer » Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:43 pm

NSKITER - no it does not effect the stablity, I can launch without pre inflating which is nice.

Guest modifing a old F-one is easy two lines for control and then for the depower line make two 21ft lines for your V lines then run a line from those V-lines, to make a total length the same as your 2 control lines.
Now buy some cheap metel hardware pullys attach at the control Bridles, then use some heavy rope 5mm and 8ft long and sew a loop in one end. break lines make a loop on one end for a ring and make long enough for adjustment. See the diagrams at http://www.flysurfer-usa.com/technical_data.htm for a non WAC kite.

Now I just use rings at the looped end of the heavyrope and the control lines works good. And the main adjustment for this old flysurfer depower system is the brake line which are those small lines with the ring.
I also use a pully on my depower loop on my bar saves on the arms.

NSKITER
Medium Poster

f-one foil

Postby NSKITER » Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:20 am

Thanks Craig,

I'll have to do this now. That was the main reason I don't really use this kite much anymore, too much of a pain to get going in lower winds. I never used it in the water so not an issue otherwise.

NS

skipfrommichigan
Medium Poster

Skip

Postby skipfrommichigan » Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:34 am

Here is a mod I did on the F1.

http://sharkless.com/gallery/custom

You can do the same following these directions:

http://www.pegaskites.com/assets/Wingwarp%20Manual.pdf

Craig (Baysurfer) has triple the hours in the snow than I do. I would listen to his council.

Skip

bay surfer
Very Frequent Poster

Postby bay surfer » Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:18 pm

Skip that looks sweat, almost like a WAC system, but nicer. How does it fly? Must be nice the change the angle of attack, the kite now must have a Huge amount of depower.

NSKITER
Medium Poster

f-one foil

Postby NSKITER » Sat Jan 22, 2005 2:43 am

Craig,

Skip's system is the pegas one I was reffering to. On my Pegas Chimera it works well, and allows you to place the kite anywhere in the window. It also allows you to take off easily in light wind. In short it is great.

However, I just received an e-mail from Pegas stating they have an improved system coming out soon. This could be worth waiting for, if you're not in a hurry to mod it.Having said that, at the price you cannot go wrong.

Skip,

I admire your homebrew setup, it looks as good as my factory one. Where did you source the spectra lines? I am always trying something and could use some myself.

What I really need is decent wind this weekend, we now have over 2 feet of fresh snow, and more on Sunday! Can anyone spare a little?

Good winds, Terry.

Return to “Snow / Land”