Forum for snow- and landkiters
noa
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Board suggestions ?

Postby noa » Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:12 am

I don't snowkite yet but after my previous post i'm getting very convinced to start. As far as boards go a twin tip is obviously the way to go. I weigh 83 kg so what size board would suit me, around 160-162 (the size wich i would use to snowboard) ? Any suggestions for good models that size ? As far as i know the major snowboard brands like Burton, Nitro or others have yet to make snowkting specific boards. Have they not recognised the market potential of snowkiting ? Last but not least, why is it called snowkiting and not snowkiteboarding or kitesnowboarding ? Thanks for the help.
Delphicly,
Noa

Motzzzzzy

Kitesnowboard

Postby Motzzzzzy » Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:17 pm

Hey Noa,

Got some boards for ya. I've been riding Elevation boards which are sick. They are pricey though. I also have been riding the Flow Budo in a 158 (also comes in a 162cm) that are completely twin tip and are a bit softer but super fun and cheap. You can check the boards out at:

http://www.kitesnowboarder.com

Ya I know about the wording for the sport. I hate snowkiting and for some reason everyone is calling it that. I've always thought that kitesnowboarding is what it should be called. Since your kiteboarding you think it would be called kitesnowboarding.

Some people still refer kiteboarding as kitesurfing which I thinks pretty funny as well.

Anyways hope that helps.
Lates
Motz

BS-USA
Rare Poster

Postby BS-USA » Mon Jan 17, 2005 8:00 pm

Noa,

As far as length...whatever you are using on the mountain for length should do you good with a kite. You might want to adjust your size to what type of snow you will be kiting in. I.E. longer and wider maybe for pow...We have literally a trailer full of boards for when we go out. We kite out on the frozen lakes of Minnesota. Conditions can change dramtically from day to day. Ice patches with 10" powder islands one day. Glare ice the next, then maybe back to 12" of powder a few days down the road. Some days the lakes have 'all in ones'. Like big ice patches here, nice blankets of snow there...4" of water over the ice here...then 6" of slush over there...Those 'all in one' days are the best...NOT!
Basically my point is...What kind of snow are you riding on?

We have some great Twin Tip boards for kitesnowboarding. We have some GNU 'Carbon High Beams' that are true twin tips. Great affordable boards, hand made in the USA. Check them at http://www.Gnu.com or http://www.bs-usa.com

Also, We have some Flow Karma models which are twin tip models priced right. Package these up with the flow bindings and you have the ultimate kite snowboard.

The reason why it is mostly called 'snowkiting' is because there are just as many kite skiiers as kite snowboarders. So to keep it simple in that respect...'snowkiting' seems to work good.

Motzzzzzzzzzzzzy

Kitesnowboarding

Postby Motzzzzzzzzzzzzy » Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:10 pm

hmmmm. Actually don't go with the Flow bindings. I had a bunch in our shop and we ended breaking them left and right and sent them all back. And now I hear it's one massive recall on Flow binders. Read:

http://www.ktvu.com/safetyandrecalls/40 ... etail.html

Also with board size make sure you go by your weight.

Later Motz
http://www.kitesnowboarder.com
"Products that are tested and proven"

Oh yeah snowkiting is lame. Kitesnowboarding is cool.

Airtime
Frequent Poster

Postby Airtime » Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:51 pm

This guy has a cool kind of board I was watching him the other day.. the conditions were pretty much ice / refrozen slush .. and he was holding an edge awesome.. I tried my snowboard that day and couldn't hold an edge. So switched back to skis....

I haven't had a chance to try one yet... mainly because I've either had snowboard boots on or ski boots on, whenever I have seen him.. basically you can use standard boots. The board has straps. Just like a water board.. this is probably closer to a water board than anything I have seen. he said it works awesome in powder as well

here's the web site
http://www.snowfer.com/uniindexb.html

noa
Medium Poster

Postby noa » Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:01 pm

Thanks for the gear suggestions. I guess i'll have to do some research and decide on what to buy and as i'll most likelly be riding all kinds of conditions, find a good for all first board. As far as names for the sport go, i guess like everything else, everyone has their own opinion. The way i see it, snowkiting is not very descriptive. It's like saying waterkiting, it does not mean much. It could mean that you're just standing in the snow and flying your kite. Kitesnowboarding or even snowkiteboarding is admitedly a bit long to say but nevertheless clearer in it's description of the activity performed. As far as ski use goes it could simply be called kiteskiing. At the end of the day who cares about the name, going out there and doing it is what counts. A name does however have an importance in giving a sport it's identity and kiting on skis or a board does have a difference just as sking and snowboarding have a difference. But then again lets not get into that silly and lengthy debate. Brothers of the wind, unite, and stay that way.
Delphicly,
Noa

BS-USA
Rare Poster

Postby BS-USA » Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:11 pm

Motz-

I read the article in your link about the Flow recall. Looks like there was a flaw in the MK series. We didn't order any of those...WeW! All of our Flow's seem to be working very, very nice. We have some of the Pro S-FS series and then some of the rentals too.

Dude, no love for the skiiers? Come on man...Snowkiting works. Be happy that it isn't just 'kiteskiing'. Anyway, it's all good in our book.

Peace :clap:

Airtime
Frequent Poster

Postby Airtime » Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:31 pm

I have used flow F4 for 3 years.. never had any issues.. with durability..
they're easy to get into... don't have to put my Old fat ass on the snow!... anymore.. :thumb:

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:35 am

I bought an old K2 Fatbob 159 with K2 clicker bindings. It works for me, I like the extra width because I never have to worry about dragging my toes. I bought a used board because sometimes I don't have time to travel to locations with deep snow and I end up grinding the bottom on dirt and rocks. The clicker bindings allow easy access in and out. I would rather have Flow bindings, but I will wait until I have worn out my clickers and/or boots. I have 4 seasons on them, so I am impressed with their reliability. I use a 167 All Terrain Winterstick at the resorts. I don't take it snowkiting.

If the wind is light or the snow is hard and icy I switch to skis. Snowkiting is easier on skis. '

Kenny

MotzrunningoutofZZZZZs

Kitesnowboard

Postby MotzrunningoutofZZZZZs » Tue Jan 18, 2005 5:22 am

Ya that Flow recall is a big one.

I don't have anything against skiers. I ski raced for over 5 years when I was a little grom. It just doesn't make sense to call it snowkiting. Do you think we should call Kiteboarding "waterkiting"?

I actually see no problem calling skiers that kite "Kiteskiers" and snowboarders are called "Kitesnowboarders". And I actually do think it needs to be seperated. I just think that they are two different sports.

Believe me I've gone back and forth with my buddy Munz about the name. Back in 2000 we registered http://www.kitesnowboard.com and thought that's what it should be called.

One of these days I'm pretty sure a name will stick just don't know which one it will be.

Motz
kitesnowboarder

Return to “Snow / Land”