Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Board suggestions ?

forum for snow- and landkiters

noa
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby noa » Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:36 am

So Motz, i see you like my "waterkiting" argument. I'm happy we agree man, now lets go out and convince everyone else (joking). You mentoned kitesurfing being a funny name but i use that name because i mainly kite in waves with a surfboard looking directional with a main aim to surf the wave, thus kitesurfing. Back to the subject, no one told me if you know anything about the major snowboard manufacturers getting involved in making kitesnowboarding specific boards.
Delphicly,
Noa

Cold Island
Rare Poster

Postby Cold Island » Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:10 am

I really like both skis, snowboards, and a pair of 55 cm blades I made from $20 worth of goodies from Home Depot. I am also willing to admit that I love tubes and foils. I feel much better getting that out. It may be just me, but I trash snowboards boardsnowkiting. Major p-tex delams from edging on crusty hard pack. 3 boards in 2 years. I think skis are more durable and fun under these conditions. Unless I was riding in good snow conditions, I plan to stick to buying cheap older decks. My last Burton lasted about 10 sessions. Hit the swaps, garage sales, buddies trash heap, and get a board to bash. Then decide if you really think a pile of moolah will make it more fun.

It doesn't matter what we call this sport. People look at me like I am at an interplanetary rest stop when I try to describe how I spent the weekend. I am sure that I would cringe if I could see what they were thinking.

devin
Frequent Poster

Postby devin » Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:23 am

im with cold lake on this one. i go through snowboards too fast to spend anything over $100 on one. last season i went through 2 boards when i wasn't even kiting, and this year while kiting i can very easily see my heel edge ripping out on a rock at some point. the board im riding right now cost me $40 and does the trick that my $300 one did. i'd highly suggest going all out on boots and bindings though, im planning on getting some flow's at the end of the season sales. pressure points in the middle of a session aren't much fun.

D_Clark
Very Frequent Poster

Postby D_Clark » Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:04 am

I agree with the points about not spending too much money on a snowboard. Your going to break it or clause it to delaminate, so why drop a bunch of cash unless you get one a hell of a warranty.

I'm riding a 2002 Oxygen Shogun, that I got new for $130 off ebay. Its was a $500 board back in the day. Its a 169cm and super stiff and I love it. I'm big 220lbs and found that the stiff board is better especially for holding an edge on icy conditions.

I also got a pair of flows this year. I LOVE them, they totally rock. I'm glad that I didn't get the ones that got recalled. I got no complaints with them, except they could sized better for people with larger feet. I only have size 12 feet and my Flows are maxed out on the adjuestments. Thats not that big for an XL binding.

Skis are a very good option, I use my old GS skis and they are a blast. Its possible to go very fast with little effort. Kiteskiing is a very good option for the older members of our crew. My Dad isn't good on a snowboard, but is an acomplished skier and enjoys kiteskiing. The falls on your rear are more of a problem when your over 60. Skis also allow newbies to easily move around to get the kite restarted.

Let it snow^3
- DC

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:46 am

i just bought a 155cm salomon snowboard will that be ok for snowkiting or is it easier to just use a kiteboard without fins?

Mikael
Frequent Poster

Postby Mikael » Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:25 pm

try the kiteboard without fin and let us know!! :thumb:

bay surfer
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: The Dam Beach
Favorite Beaches: Lake Michigan Beaches, OCX
Gear: Airush, Best, LF boards, Home Brewed Foils and boards

Postby bay surfer » Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:21 pm

I was just thinking of that yesterday.
Try to break the snowboard first, I blew a new board already this year, tip pivits are fun. Ice hard need sharp metel edges for pop.
Snowboards are cheap, kiteboards expensive, but in pure pow kiteboards mit be a blast.

Mushow1

Re: Board suggestions ?

Postby Mushow1 » Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:29 pm

Check new snowkiting video from Mushow. We are using snowkiting board Mushow. See the diference...

http://www.mushow.cz/foto/Mushowsnowkitingkomp.mpg

Mushow Gang
http://www.mushow.com
see Mushow Snowkiting Board on http://www.flexifoil.cz under snowkiting section

noa wrote:I don't snowkite yet but after my previous post i'm getting very convinced to start. As far as boards go a twin tip is obviously the way to go. I weigh 83 kg so what size board would suit me, around 160-162 (the size wich i would use to snowboard) ? Any suggestions for good models that size ? As far as i know the major snowboard brands like Burton, Nitro or others have yet to make snowkting specific boards. Have they not recognised the market potential of snowkiting ? Last but not least, why is it called snowkiting and not snowkiteboarding or kitesnowboarding ? Thanks for the help.
Delphicly,
Noa

Mushow1

Postby Mushow1 » Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:30 pm

Check new snowkiting video from Mushow. We are using snowkiting board Mushow. See the diference...

http://www.mushow.cz/foto/Mushowsnowkitingkomp.mpg

Mushow Gang
http://www.mushow.com
see Mushow Snowkiting Board on http://www.flexifoil.cz under snowkiting section

Mikael
Frequent Poster

Postby Mikael » Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:13 pm

bay surfer wrote:I was just thinking of that yesterday.
Try to break the snowboard first, I blew a new board already this year, tip pivits are fun. Ice hard need sharp metel edges for pop.
Snowboards are cheap, kiteboards expensive, but in pure pow kiteboards mit be a blast.
The only problem would be to attach your kiteboard to your feet (snowboard boots... or maybe warm booties?) , without modifying your board too much!

Return to “Snow / Land”