First time in the snow. Colorado

Forum for snow- and landkiters
Tunico
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

First time in the snow. Colorado

Postby Tunico » Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:34 am

Hi
I'm about to depart on a trip to Colorado to introduce my childrem to snow and skiyng. I'm a experienced kitesurfer in Brazil, but never skied.
I will be at Beaver Creek.
Is it possible do do some snow kiting there? kites for rent? I could easilly take a Blade or two with me, take some snowboarding classes and head for the flats...in it that simple? Is the topography there favorable?
Skis are easier than snowboards (for a total beginner)?

Thanks in advance for any info

[]'s
Tunico Lage

toyletbowl
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Olbrich, Governor Nelson, Tenney, Burrows and McDaniels.
Favorite Beaches: Olbrich on SW and McDaniels on a SSW.
Sheboygan when it blows hard on a NE.
Style: Waves, Twin tip and Foilboards.
Gear: Whatever is available.
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, Slingshot, Core, Armstrong, Axis, NP Surf, Ride engine, Mystic. www.kiteridersllc.com

Postby toyletbowl » Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:40 pm

tunico, i used to teach skiing at beaver creek. great place, but probably not much kiting in the are, but it's been a while.

don't mix learning to kite with learning to snowboard and ski. especially for kids. make sure they can ride first well before you put a kite in thier hands. keep the groms safe and once they are good riders, then put a kite in thier hands.

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:29 pm

Alpine Kayak at the base of Beaver Creek in Avon, CO is selling snow kites and I believe has rentals.
You can check them out at:
http://www.alpinekayak.com

Hope that helps.

Tunico

Postby Tunico » Wed Jan 19, 2005 4:12 am

toyletbowl...
Sorry if I didn't express myself correctly. I have no intention of puting kites in my little girls hands!
I was talking about myself. I have plenty experience in kiting, but ZERO experience in snow. I'm pretty sure I can handle the kiting part of it, but not the snow part...I'm afraid to fall in some bottomless hole or into water or get stuck way out there...things that I see on tv that can happen in snow.
Thanks for the warning anyway!

and

Guest...
Thanks a lot. I'm in the process of contacting then. Hope they also have snowkiting classes (not only sales and rentals).
Thanks again.

Tunico

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 21, 2005 8:50 am

if you are going to go to beaver creak, you might as well just ski at the resort and spend time with your family. If you've never skied before, skiing off the lifts is a lot of fun and can be a great challenge, plus a kite can add to many variables that can ruin your day (eg. no wind). also, Vail resort has an increadible amount of awsome terain to throw down on. If you are goint to kite, I would either backcountry to Vail Pass, or head to Lake Dillon.

Kevin,
Boulder Co

Return to “Snow / Land”