Forum for snow- and landkiters
h2o32+-
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

list for first snowkiting trip

Postby h2o32+- » Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:20 am

Hi,I have plans to be in Vail/Frisco area skiing and thought of taking my old ar5s with me to take to lake Dillon , and would contact Kiteforce in Frisco about info.there.I planned on taking my seat harness and some elbow pads I have, but have not been on the snow w/kites before and thought I could get a list of things usefull to take from the forum. As I expect snow do you think a helmet is needed ? Ice screw?Bag for self launch?anythoughts

J-Hole Michael
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby J-Hole Michael » Fri Mar 04, 2005 4:08 pm

snow basics:

-water
-food
-extra layers
-extra gloves/socks
-beer
-medical supplies/safety meeting...
-a small pack to put it all in.

kite specific:

-without a doubt, wear a helmet... always.
-snow picket, ice ax, or ice screw... depending on your surface. this is to anchor the kite, just hook in your brake lines/leash.
-a double runner daisy chained to the back of your harness is helpful if shit goes bad either for you or someone else so you can do the tow back to where you started thing. I do this all the time with my ten year old when he death spirals his kite into a little knot.
-skins and poles if you are travelling far, if the wind dies or you get overly lit, (i mean by the wind) then you'll be happy to have them.

If you get a chance, rig a 5th line before you go, it's a lot nicer than trying to rig it in the snow. Better yet, try to score some foils, way less messing around out in the cold...

have fun

aloha

m-

Return to “Snow / Land”