All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Anyone ever snowkited on Mt. Shasta?
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 10:05 pm 
Rare Poster

I am planning to take a trip down to Mt. Shasta soon to climb and snowboard with my wife and some friends, but I am also bringing my quiver in the hopes that I might be able to just kite it instead. Anyone checked it out? If so, which routes are conducive to kiting? Any information would be great, even if you tried it and got skunked.

Anyone interested in trying it with us?

Thanks,
--Jake

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Shasta snowkiting
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:17 am 
Rare Poster

Maybe you've already been thru.
I live in Weed and am getting into snowkiting a bit. A couple of us have kites. The area doesn't seem great, as open terrain is hard to come by. I've flown a few times up on the mountain and also at an alpine lake called Castle Lake.
Trouble I've found is that even though we get directionally consistant winds, they are often affected by the mountainous topography.
I've had fun, but it's really just given me a taste of the possibilities.
Nick

Post subject: Hit it when the wind is from the south
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:28 pm 
Rare Poster

So we headed up there, but the winds didn't help much and we ended up doing a hike and ride (and camp). We took off out of Bunny Flats on the south side and climbed up Avalanche Gulch. With the winds out of El Norte while we were there we got lots of very squirly katabatic winds blowing downhill getting stronger as we got closer to the top. My assessment of the terrain would say that it would be totally sweet if you could hit it when the winds are out of the south. You definitely have some hiking to get above treeline, but once up on the snowfields the terrain seems like it would be very kite friendly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:36 am 
Rare Poster

The Tuolumne Meadows along Highway 120 in the Yosemite high country will open for public access anytime now and if you'll still be in the area check this area out. Access is either through Highway 395 (east side of the Sierra Nevada) or I-5 or Highway 99 on the west side. It is normal every year when Caltrans lift the gate to see 5 to 10 feet of snow on the ground and the higher you get the thicker it gets. The road zenith at Tioga Pass at 9,945 feet in elevation. I had my best session here last year 2 weeks after they clear the road, check out or call Caltrans: http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/clsdlst.htm

Peace.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:14 am 
Medium Poster

next time ur in the area...
hook up with me and we'll go kite. i live in the rogue valley of oregon, not far from shasta....a lot closer to crater lake. and there's better terrain at crater in my opinion.

Post subject: Re: Anyone ever snowkited on Mt. Shasta?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:02 pm 
Rare Poster

Hi there, i'm Chasta the french snowkiter, i would need some infos please because i'm planning to climb or just snowkite the volcano in april maybe ?
i need someone to give me direction or some one who knows the spot so i can get the best shooting
thanks in advance
cheers
Chasta

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:58 pm 
Medium Poster

Hey Chasta,
Send me a message and I can tell you about where to showings Shasta. But, the problem is there is NO snow on the mountain! We're in the worst drought in 100 years right now. No joke. Hopefully we get some storms.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:27 am 
Rare Poster

Love your avatar Chasta!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:01 am 
Rare Poster

Maybe set your sights on one of the other volcanoes in the Pacific Northwest of the USA.

Mt Hood
Mt Adams
South Sister
Mt Rainier
Mt Baker
Mt St Helens
Newberry Crater
3 Fingered Jack
Mt McLaughlin

Surprisingly I have not heard of anyone summiting any of these big mountains with a snow kite. Surely someone must have. If anyone wants to I'm game to try...

Attachments:
File comment: Mt Adams
1.jpg
1.jpg [ 1.82 MIB | Viewed 485 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:07 pm 
Rare Poster

ok give me a time and a place to meet i will go with you.

[ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next