Medium Poster
Gear: Airush
Jimmy Lewis
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Snowkiting Gear Question

Postby rocktor » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:35 pm

Looking to get into snowkiting with Skiis this winter and wondering about what gear to get in terms of what kinds of Skiis and anything else I might need? I am 5'10 tall and 185 lbs if that helps. I am fairly new to the sport and have kitesurfing lessons down.

bay surfer
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The Dam Beach
Favorite Beaches: Lake Michigan Beaches, OBX
Gear: Airush, Switch, Pansh, Kites, LF boards, Home Brewed Foils and boards

Re: Snowkiting Gear Question

Postby bay surfer » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:39 pm

#1 Helmet, then kite stuff, Kite 4m to a big light air kite, 4m will pull you in light wind, work it, or High wind kite, Big kite to pull you in the day after dumps in the light wind.

rocktor
Medium Poster
Gear: Airush
Jimmy Lewis

Postby rocktor » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:48 pm

Thanks for the quick response. I have helmet and kites. I need to get a smaller kite though. Got a 10 m and 13 m. My questions was more in terms of what to look for when buying Skiis. I intend to do back country snowkiting. I already bought an avalanche backpack btw.

Billy B.
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Strawberry, Big Bad UT Lake, Rush mudpuddle.
DC
Favorite Beaches: Strawberry, Rufus,, Hampton NH. San Diego lite wind ninja shit.
Style: Learning,... as in I am still learning.
Gear: 2014 north gear

All of it
North and Race boards
North twin tip and directional yummyness.
Surfboard and strapless play stuff.
Brand Affiliation: I am a North snowkite athlete.

Postby Billy B. » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:00 pm

rocktor wrote:Thanks for the quick response. I have helmet and kites. I need to get a smaller kite though. Got a 10 m and 13 m. My questions was more in terms of what to look for when buying Skiis. I intend to do back country snowkiting. I already bought an avalanche backpack btw.

I almost never fly anything smaller then a 10m on the snow most of the time I am on 14 or bigger.

Where are you riding, the terrain and snow quility will decide what set ups work best.

BB
Team north USA

AndKite
Medium Poster
Style: Freeride, waves

Postby AndKite » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:56 pm

rocktor wrote:Thanks for the quick response. I have helmet and kites. I need to get a smaller kite though. Got a 10 m and 13 m. My questions was more in terms of what to look for when buying Skiis. I intend to do back country snowkiting. I already bought an avalanche backpack btw.
Get a pair of skis with some slight rocker and twintip, so you can ride the terrain easier. Over 90mm under the foot, so u get som float. Then get one of those beefier BC randonne bindings so that you can walk back if the wind drops. Some skins as well. Telescope ski poles is probably not a bad idea either..

The skis should be a freeride ski made for BC skiing, but dont get those super light, super skinny ones. You are supposed to be riding them mostly. However, the possibility of walking if the wind drops is good... also it's a good way to get above the tree line if thats your kind of terrain.

Get skiboots that are sturdy, but that also allow you to walk if you need it. I use LANGE supercharger, a real skiboot that can release the calf part so i can move more freely and stand up straight (great for teaching).

A ski i would love trying out for snowkite (and in general also) is this one!

http://hendryxskis.se/index.php/skis/14-idiosynaptic

A bit big, but hell if i'm skiing, i want to enjoy it =) currently riding the funkallistic from the same brand.

Return to “Snow / Land”