All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Lib-Tech's Banana and Magnetraction
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:03 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Any updates on this? Anyone still using the newer boards? Which ones work for you?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:32 am 
Frequent Poster

I ride a 165 wide Gnu twintip on snow and ice.
It is really an amazing difference compared to a camber board.

I custom modded a Raven step in binding (Higback parallel to boardedge) and use a medium hard boot from K2.

Perfect setup for me - took me a while to figure it out!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:27 am 
Medium Poster

This reminds me to get hold of a used magnetrac board, been meaning to try one for 6 or 7 years now, thanks. I would point out that in my experience you need to climb a shit-ton of evil Rocky windpack, often while holding down an overpowered kite, in order to access the protected hidden fluffy descents and tree stash bits. I would think camber and magne-rails should enable this nicely. Having said that, snowboarding with a kite is eventually going to hack your board up like you won't believe. I don't take anything too nice knowing what is going to happen to it. Forget the days of your finely tuned edges and forgiving combed groomers on your ski hill, mountain snowkiting is more crash car derby or Baja 1000 than Formula 1. I wish I had pics of some of the board destruction, it's horrific. Depends on where you go obviously, a flat frozen lake covered with a foot or two of fresh you can take your nice gear and most anything works, your mowing powder. Get up in the gnarled Rocky wilderness and it becomes more edgy and demanding. That's where those wavey Mervyn Mfg. daggers would come in right handy.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:18 pm 
Medium Poster

I've got the Hammock with Cartels.. completely different animal...It's a super deep pow board and I only used it once last season just to see how it feels. It was a really dry season in Tahoe so i wasn't able to put it to the test , but just on the groomers that i took it , it was a real bitch to ride. Board keeps trying to wash out from under you if there is no powder to scrub on.

I hear its an awesome pow board, but i haven't had enough snow to test it...The problem I am thinking with the Hammock is that it excels in deep pow, but how do you get back to the lift. The guy who designed it had a helicopter waiting for him at the bottom. The minute you hit groomed snow, you will feel really loose and have to kick the back out to make it turn, IT WILL NOT EDGE WHATSOEVER...DO NOT TRY.

I got it coz my other 2 boards ( Vapor and Custom X ) are pure camber boards and suck in deep pow

From other reviews, I Heard that the Jones board ( Flagship or Hovercraft - don't remember) are pretty good too.

FYI: I don't think the Hammock has Magna Traction , I think the next model "Speedodeeps" has it ,

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:39 am 
Rare Poster

Wow! I have been pretty inactive online and have not been on KF or any kite forum in years at least 6 yrs and was surprised to see this post and had recognized it right away.
I had a really bad fall on my skateboard and was not able to kite this past year, no Snowkiting=miserable for me... Stoked to get back at it!
Anywayz... Cool to see this post active snowkiters again!
The Northstar kite crew loved the Banana line and magnatraction!

Good updates on boards guys! it is fun to hear what peeps are still using.

With Mervin leading the tech with snowboards so many manufactures have tru twin tip reverse camber boards in their line ups. If there is a wide in a certain model that is best for Snowkiting no matter what foot sizes you roll.

Windinturupted , I agree the frozen lakes can be choice. But they are not always and if so not for long. Temps, winds, and general impact of lake use get the lake coverage very diverse and can be just as ruff if not more so than mtn altitude locations. And the magne can eat up all of it no matter what they are, it is very choice!

With the way snowboard tech is now' there are so many options and so many that work well for Snowkiting. The main ingredients to your specs of a snowboard for Snowkiting I feel should be make sure it is a True Twin/Wide or MidWide board.

I know my next snowboard for Snowkiting will be the RipsawX 160Wide from Never Summer Industries.

http://neversummer.com/snowboards/mens- ... /ripsaw-x/

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 43.43 KIB | Viewed 116 times ]
 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2