Forum for snow- and landkiters
travisjonak
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Snowboard choice advice

Postby travisjonak » Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:25 am

Hey guys I'm lookin' to pick up a new board for snowkiting and snowboarding. I've been using a k2 Viper for the past year but it sucks due to the fact that the stance is shifted to the rear. I know I need a pure twin tip, but i really am not too familiar with the good brands and shapes. I know straighter rails work better for snowkiting, but I don't want to spend the cash for a dedicated snow kiteboard. I'm just wondering what works for you guys that are more experienced.

lewmt
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mtns

Re: Snowboard choice advice

Postby lewmt » Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:50 pm

You should be able to center your stance on almost any board unless it is a true directional board such as race carving (hardbooter setups) or dedicated powder boards. The only reason to backset your stance is for powder.

Having said that - nobody builds or backs a better quality board than Never Summer. They have a new R & C (Rocker and Camber) tech that competes with Lib Tech's banana tech. The rocker shape allows a more centered stance for riding powder but the serrated edges hold on hardpack better than standard edged boards so this could be the perfect dual purpose board you seek. Nobody else puts a 3 yr warranty on their boards which makes it worth the extra coin.

Having said that I'm awaiting arrival of my new Twisted Ozone board :jump: . Hoping it'll serve for both backcountry powder & kite conditions although with its shape I can't imagine it'd be any fun on hardpack or east coast ice unless you were kiting.

bay surfer
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The Dam Beach
Favorite Beaches: Lake Michigan Beaches, OBX
Gear: Airush, Switch, Pansh, Kites, LF boards, Home Brewed Foils and boards
Has thanked: 0

Re: Snowboard choice advice

Postby bay surfer » Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:38 am

D'ont listen to the Crap people tell you. A board is like woman its how it rides. Some of the kite specific boards just chatter in hardpack, or d'ont carve nice. Some do ride nice, half will fail (delaminate) expensive or Cheap or kite specific. Find a board that you like to ride, thats the hard part!!!! Demo your buds, board pimps.
Me, Just give me a board that will not delaminate, and rides well!!!

Return to “Snow / Land”