All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Anyone ever sliced a leader line with a sharp board edge?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:43 pm 
Frequent Poster

Curious as it has happened to me awhile back. Do you think floaties will prevent any future issues with lines laying on the snowboard edge in the launch position? Even if your kite has em could moving em up help or get in the way?

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Anyone ever sliced a leader line with a sharp board edge
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:35 am 
Very Frequent Poster

riders went over my lines many many times...( not ice, but hardpack or powder) or resting wuth e kite stalled in feont of me ( with my board under the lines)
never got problems with my lines..

for me, it s more an urban legend than anything, lines might be damaged if the lines can t ger in the ground like ice and then, could be sliced by skis or board.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:04 pm 
Frequent Poster

Voodoo is that like an "urban legend" kinda like foils being better??

Iv never had problems with my lines while resting them over my board, i try and keep my toes pointed so they dont rub on the edge.
I have seen them get cut on the ground. Freshely sharpened edges can go through lines like butter, but even worse is nicked or burred edges snagging the line.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:08 pm 
Frequent Poster

snobdr wrote:
Iv never had problems with my lines while resting them over my board, i try and keep my toes pointed so they dont rub on the edge.

This was the intended discussion while resting LEADER LINES getting cut.

It sux when people see kites on the ground and don't pay attention and run em over. Its even worse when the snowmobilers wanna come see what your doing.

I try to take care and keep my lines up and outta the way but ya know what happens out there espeically if you missed that jump and laying in a poof of a cloud twisting and turning and trying to get up and going again. Its not a common occurance just something I was thinking about as it happened once Curious if its happened to anyone else.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:25 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Crazy stuff can happen. I have nicked my own leader lines with both snowboard and skis. Same scenario both times, I crash landed, got discombobulated, and noticed my leaders wrapped around my planks as the kite powered up. On one of those times, I did the damage myself by trying to be in a hurry, I ended up putting more pressure against it and kicked it harder.

Never had damage while sitting there, as there is little or no tension on the lines, but I do watch out for it, as it seems leery to have kite lines hanging over freshly tuned board edges.

I have witnessed 2 occasions where kite lines were cut while jumping. One was a boarder doing a rally, turned into the 'killer scorpion' move and he cut his own lines with his board over his head.

Next one was me, and quite embarrassing. It was at the first Mammoth Kite Daze, I was flying a Razor on handles (no bars for Ozone back then) and did some goofy jump in front of the Red Bull tent. I went inverted and poked my legs straight out above me, and basically pushed my board against my own lines. Subsequently cutting a control line, sending the kite into a death spiral on and around the RB tent.

Around that era I think James Brown started riding with several feet of plastic tubing around the leaders and kite lines near the control bar.

Windzup,
Brian Schenck
www.FlyOzoneUSA.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:43 pm 
Frequent Poster

I have cut mine before,

I now carry a small slingshot pigtail extension
the one with loop at both ends.

If it happens again in the back country,
I can tie knots in the cut lines,
and make a larks head on the pigtail extensions