All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tug Hill Snowkite Festival, 2011
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:45 am 
Medium Poster

We are hoping (at least I am) to get dumped on starting Friday afternoon, through Saturday. Jan has the call out to get together as soon as conditions are favorable. Will be posting conditions as they add up, but there's a link to a web cam/weather station(northernchateau)in a post above, that will give you a picture of how much snow, as well as a weather station updated every 15 min. with temp, wind speed/direction, etc. I tried to post that link here, but it didn't work.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:23 am 
Medium Poster

As far as open snow kite sites, I believe any of the sites we used last year are open for riding, except for the deer ranch, which is only open during the festival. Jan, correct me if I'm wrong here.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:37 am 
Medium Poster

Its another year and hope to be up on the Tug this weekend. Hopfully the Lake Effect really kicks in. The fields at Hannos, Honeyville and Porterdale are really mowed smooth. Jan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:24 am 
Very Frequent Poster

buggy!
dirt-board!
please add photoes!

there should be a contingency to
hit the froven lake bed at the boatlaunch iffits
sno covered

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:01 pm 
Medium Poster

We had our first lake effect snow over night. We got 8" to a foot here in the valley, on the hill they got almost 2 feet. It's still snowing, with wind gusting to stupid, so we've opted to meet up tomorrow, not sure where yet. here's a link to some pic's I took in my yard this morning.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobalooie5 ... 25/detail/

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:45 pm 
Medium Poster

So I brought my board to the ski shop to get tuned up, and on the way back went across the hill to check conditions at the Hanno lot. Lo and behold, alden and friends was there, just setting up, so I took a short video. http://youtube.com/watch?v=Wt59pm8DwKc

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:53 am 
Medium Poster

Bob i like the snow at your house and up at Hannos so we will meet at the Tug Tommrow for some kiting. Jan :naughty:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:02 pm 
Medium Poster

OK, we will proudly accept the award for “First Ride of the Year” at Tug Hill, with Melissa, Hristo, and Jerry traveling up from the Albany, NY area. BTW, does this mean I can purchase a 2011 Frenzy 9m at factory cost please??? I would promises to proudly, prominently and safely fly it!

Saturday 11/27/2010 report on conditions: WNW 16 mph, but nasty swings from 12mph to 30+mph sustained gusts. Snow all came at once so we had zero base, but 12” of “freshies” and with more like 20+ inches of freshies on the back side of any terrain and drifts.

The entire Hannos field was virgin, an impressive and inviting site. West Line Road was not plowed so we only pulled in as far as we dared and we launched from that first corner of the field. We rigged conservatively to check out the conditions. Melissa’s 9m Naish was best kite of the day for Hristo and I, and Melissa got rides from my 6m Kima.

I had surprising trouble from my Twisted Velocity 164 snowboard freezing up clumps on the bottom and then having huge drag. Maybe this was because of the zero base under the snow. If you weren’t careful when starting and stopping the board could sink down through the foot of freshies and get into the grass layer. A Ride Yukon 163 Wide SB was having the same problem. On one entire tack Hristo was loading and popping and hopping but he still couldn’t clear the bottom of the board. Can anyone recommend a slick and fast finish wax for snowboards? So I switched to my Volkl Chopsticks center mounted powder skis and this combination with Melissa’s 9m gave me my best ride of the day.

The other problem we had was my 2009 Eclipse Morph bar was freezing up its chicken loop safety release, unsafely locking the rider in. There is a lot of metal in this safety release mechanism. Does anyone know if waxing or oiling the parts before going out in winter will prevent this?? I really need that 2011 Frenzy!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Wt59pm8DwKc

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:18 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

My twisted board did not come with a stone grind just a basic sanding. My friends board was the same! It will not glide until you get a good stone grind! Take it to a shop that has a stonegrinder! A lot of shops out east dont have them so ask before paying for a tune. It will help alot! imo, wayne

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:45 pm 
Medium Poster

Alden those skis look huge. If I not mistaken you can use parafin on zippers to keep them from sticking so it sould be safe around fabrics. I've got one of those cheap cable bike locks I use on the rack of my van , warmed it and saturated it with parafin and kept working it until it cooled. Its been up there 3years in the weather and road salt , still works smooth. Thanks y'all for updates on the Tug hill

[ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next