Forum for snow- and landkiters
fuzz1303
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Using bar and line on different kites?

Postby fuzz1303 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:31 pm

New to the forums so Hi to everyone here.

I have a Naish bar and lines (5 line) that I use on my naish kite. I'm curious if I can use that bar/line set up on a foil kite for winter or if I would have to buy entirely new bar/line set up for that kite?

frankm1960
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: -Bayshore, at the end sea st. on saint John's west side, bay of fundy.
-Saints rest beach, at the end of sandy point road, irving nature park, saint john, west side.
Gear: Kites: 12m LF Mig, 9m LF Mig, 5m SS Fuel
Boards: LF proof 151cm, Real Wind 144cm, home made light wind board 160 x 50

Re: Using bar and line on different kites?

Postby frankm1960 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:29 pm

I don't know. My guess is you probably can but look for the foil bar manual and look at the line set up.

Just curious why you don't use your naish kite on the snow. With a 5th line the LEI's are pretty easy to re-launch. I use my 5line LEI's on the snow and they work great... saves having two quivers of kites.

I kite in very wide open areas in the winter though. If you're kiting in and amongst the trees maybe a foil is better??

fuzz1303
Rare Poster

Postby fuzz1303 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:43 pm

I was told that anything over a 5m is simply to risky to fly on land. My naisch is a 16m so I figured it for sure was to big. Plus I'm new to the whole thing so I was cool with investing in something that would generate less power like a 5 or 6m. This will be my first time skiing behind a kite so I'm going to try it with a 2.5m first. Figure worse case scenario at least I don't get dominated by my kite :)

frankm1960
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: -Bayshore, at the end sea st. on saint John's west side, bay of fundy.
-Saints rest beach, at the end of sandy point road, irving nature park, saint john, west side.
Gear: Kites: 12m LF Mig, 9m LF Mig, 5m SS Fuel
Boards: LF proof 151cm, Real Wind 144cm, home made light wind board 160 x 50

Postby frankm1960 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:36 am

fuzz1303 wrote:I was told that anything over a 5m is simply to risky to fly on land. My naisch is a 16m so I figured it for sure was to big. Plus I'm new to the whole thing so I was cool with investing in something that would generate less power like a 5 or 6m. This will be my first time skiing behind a kite so I'm going to try it with a 2.5m first. Figure worse case scenario at least I don't get dominated by my kite :)
Larger than 5m is not too risky on land. I use my 12m, 9m kite's all the time in the winter. No extra risk there, just the usual. Hardly ever use my 5m.

A 5 or 6m LEI would be great on snow to start out with though, can be your high wind kite on water, so it's not wasted. A foil would work too, make sure it's got depower and it's a closed cell so you can use it on the water. But a 2.5m foil is a waste of cash IMO.

Craz Z
Frequent Poster

Postby Craz Z » Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:31 pm

Fuzz you were informed wrong too risky on land my side still hurts from laughing
However that 16 is very useful in the right conditions but as you know will not be your primary kite

What do u weigh and what elevation do you live at?

Skis take a little less kite but not much a 5-6m depending on weight and elevation will never make it outta the bag unless your intention is shallow snow on a smooth lake.

Now back to your question if you buy a new or used foil it better come with its own bar and lines or walk away from the deal I think the manufactuer intentionally sells the kites complete at a lower cost just to get people to buy them.

The only thing the foils have going for them are the depower that is incorporated in the bar setup bottomline is leis usually depower with the leading edge and foils stall the kite by tugging on the trailing edge.
Oh and if by chance that 16 of yours is a 5th line foils only use 2 and 4 lines
I'm guessing that if you were to use modern bow bar on a foil and needed the safety you will only get about half of what you need to drop the foil

It sounds like your at a point of needing another kite as the 16 has its days but it won't be the majority try to ask yourself if you wanna hit the water lateron and look to a closed cell foil or stick with the leis. And don't take any more advice from someone that tells you a lei is risky on land cause a foil is too

There is No such thing as a snowkite

fuzz1303
Rare Poster

Postby fuzz1303 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:15 pm

This has been good info. I am 200lbs and live at 5700ft.
See I feel foolish because the guy who was helping me learn told me my fat ass would need something bigger then a 10 to ride most days. Most videos I've seen of people snowkiting were riding behind leis so I didn't know what to believe. Thanks for the clarification though guys. So something in the 5-7m ball park would be a good size goto for most days?

Bigdog
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Wolfe Island
Style: Old and grey surfer dude style
Gear: Core xr5 and windego boards

Postby Bigdog » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:23 pm

Big kites are good in winter for sure. You can really use the same size kite as on water once you get used to it. If you are going to jump then you need the same. I have the fs19 and it will be the soft landing machine!

Craz Z
Frequent Poster

Postby Craz Z » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:43 am

Fuzz unless your average wind speed is over 30mph you will not need the smaller kites unless you plan on high ascent alpine where winds increase very quickly. 200lbs is average so I wouldn't say fatass at 5700 feet the air is much thinner increasing the size of your kite is a must if I were you i'd look at a size of 9-12m trust me I still have a brand new kite I bought several years ago that sees the sun maybe once a year

fuzz1303
Rare Poster

Postby fuzz1303 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:15 pm

Wow, so buying a 9 meter might not be in my best interest? My primary concern is that 16m is monsterous and the guy who gave me lessons really beat the fear into me that those are too big for land. Would a 16m be an ok size to take out flying on land/snow?

snobdr
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Dewey, Atlantic City

Postby snobdr » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:28 pm

For sure you could take that out in the snow. Winds under 20 and your good to go. When you have a foot or 2 of fresh powder you going to need the same size kite you would have on the water. Now if your going to ride hardpack or ice you would want a smaller kite.
I found the big kites to slow so my biggest now is a 14m and i even find that on the slow side. But i ride a 2 kite quiver in snow,land,and water. 14&9 and im #180.

Return to “Snow / Land”