Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Anchored while flying big kite for the first time?

Forum for snow- and landkiters
Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Anchored while flying big kite for the first time?

Postby Toby » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:42 am

just don't do it. Go to a shallow area, launch the kite in not too strong wind (know your limits!) and go from there...

windrupted
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: North Beach, Barney Line, The Wood in Ventucky, Island Park Idaho and Mt Hagin MT
Favorite Beaches: G-Land (Plenkung Point)
Style: Waves, Goofy or Switch
Gear: Craigslist
Brand Affiliation: Charles Shaw
Has thanked: 0

Postby windrupted » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:10 am

jakemoore wrote:How many people have to say it: ITS A BAD IDEA!

There was a video of somebody teaching beginners the way you described 7 or 8 years ago. The beginner looped the kite was picked up 2 or three feet and slammed into the ground hard repeatedly until the kite crashed. There are many many videos of people doing variations of tethered flying where the tether or more likely kite breaks resulting in a fall.

The problem is that kite speed generates line tension. Line tension increases kite speed. The fact that you get dragged downwind a little when you fly the kite in the powerzone deep is good negative feedback that reduces line tension, kite speed and power. Line tension and kite power are normally limited by your weight or the edge you can hold. If you tether the kite, with or without a person in between, you can generate forces far far greater than that if you just have the kiter fly the kite.

You express concern about a beginner getting lofted. Just don't start overpowered. You express concern about being dragged downwind. No big deal. Its called scudding and its a great way for a beginner to learn how to generate power with a traction kite, and its a great way to learn the balance you need to stand on a board with a kite. If anything, just hold the beginners harness for a minute when launching, but even then if they are dragged down wind a little it slacks the lines and reduces power, really thats the best outcome if they make a pilot error. Also, this is a good time to teach them when to drop the bar.

A number of people here have taught children. My 9 y/o daughter who is 55 pounds flies 4 and 6 meter kites on the buggy and ATB. For the reasons stated above, I don't even like people to hold her harness, because then the kite will generate more power than she would have if she were flying alone. I would never ever consider a tether.

Jake
This is a fantastic explanation Mr Tux, this man knows what he's talking about and he put a lot of experience and thought into his response. Thanks Jake Moore. The real art of kiting is in attaining the downwind momentum (speed) and then using your board's edge and your body to convert that to upwind, like a tether that can be tightened or released. Tethering off? Just get a rubber band, pull back and.....twang! Medic! Dont be stupid.

Nico
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: private kitebeach on my doorstep,
Le Morne.
Style: wave
Gear: Drifter kites, wave boards
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, naish
Been thanked: 0

Postby Nico » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:35 am

Done it a few years back and can only advise you to listen to everyone here: don't do it.
I used a sea anchor and long line to it. Did the superman through the window thing, and had a blast, but also had the biggest scare of my life when things went pearshaped.
On land it would have been fatal.
Nico

mr_daruman
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Okinawa beaches
Favorite Beaches: Mauritius
New Caledonia
Canaries
Style: Surfkite
Gear: Switch
Ozone
Wainman Hawaii
Brand Affiliation: Jimmy Lewis, Infinity

Postby mr_daruman » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:28 am

Anchored while flying big kite...never thought of that....hmmm...

Darwins award :rollgrin:

kitecozumel
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: all Cozumel locations
Favorite Beaches: anywhere with wind and waves
Style: professional
Gear: Slingshot
Brand Affiliation: Slingshot

Postby kitecozumel » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:29 pm

just make sure when you do it somebody is filming so there is proof of your STUPIDITY :jump:

tomatkins
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomatkins » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:42 pm

Nico wrote:Done it a few years back and can only advise you to listen to everyone here: don't do it.
I used a sea anchor and long line to it. Did the superman through the window thing, and had a blast, but also had the biggest scare of my life when things went pearshaped.
On land it would have been fatal.
Nico

Hey...you can't get away with that brief description...Out with it! Details...gorey details...we want details!

Was it kind of like: "You can't fly a kite in a buffalo herd"?

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:00 pm

It amazes me the shit people will try... I mean how could you not foresee the dangers involved in doing this?
Hey everybody, watch me tether myself to a truck and a tree... go truck go!

WTF do you think will happen?

bullet
Medium Poster
Local Beach: ainsdale
Favorite Beaches: ainsdale
Style: landboard freestyle
Gear: peter lynn aero
CKB board
Brand Affiliation: PETER LYNN KITEBOARDING

Postby bullet » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:16 pm

supertux1 wrote:Has anyone tried flying a big kite by anchoring themselves to the ground via the kiting harness and/or a rock climbing harness? Eg using an, ice screw, screw in ground stake etc...

Specifically I'm thinking about a kite that attaches to the harness via chicken loop, then anchoring the harness to the ground. Would this put too much stress on the kite if it can't actually pull? Would it limit the mobility of the flyer too much?

Just trying to explore options for preventing a smaller kiter from being lifted or dragged while they make the transition from trainer to big kite.
this is what will happen to you if you are lucky, if you are not lucky you will die!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1S96rv-zFQw

KiteCulture
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Epic Renegades, Screamer LTD
Brand Affiliation: EPIC kites www.epickites.com

Postby KiteCulture » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:22 pm

oh my freakin god! I've seen some crazy kite falls, but this one takes the cake. How high was that kid...? 30 or 40 feet? How do people think this stuff through? Like as the car is taking off I might realize that this was gonna hurt. Anyone know what shape this kid is in?

Some locals around my area did this and posted it on their school site. It was a carefully planned situation but very experienced people but still with a kite there is always the unknown if something goes wrong. Didn't Neil Hutcheson do this first behind a boat and got really messed up.

If it ain't windy, get another hobby.

supertux1
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Madison, WI
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby supertux1 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:42 pm

windrupted wrote:
jakemoore wrote:How many people have to say it: ITS A BAD IDEA!

There was a video of somebody teaching beginners the way you described 7 or 8 years ago. The beginner looped the kite was picked up 2 or three feet and slammed into the ground hard repeatedly until the kite crashed. There are many many videos of people doing variations of tethered flying where the tether or more likely kite breaks resulting in a fall.

The problem is that kite speed generates line tension. Line tension increases kite speed. The fact that you get dragged downwind a little when you fly the kite in the powerzone deep is good negative feedback that reduces line tension, kite speed and power. Line tension and kite power are normally limited by your weight or the edge you can hold. If you tether the kite, with or without a person in between, you can generate forces far far greater than that if you just have the kiter fly the kite.

You express concern about a beginner getting lofted. Just don't start overpowered. You express concern about being dragged downwind. No big deal. Its called scudding and its a great way for a beginner to learn how to generate power with a traction kite, and its a great way to learn the balance you need to stand on a board with a kite. If anything, just hold the beginners harness for a minute when launching, but even then if they are dragged down wind a little it slacks the lines and reduces power, really thats the best outcome if they make a pilot error. Also, this is a good time to teach them when to drop the bar.

A number of people here have taught children. My 9 y/o daughter who is 55 pounds flies 4 and 6 meter kites on the buggy and ATB. For the reasons stated above, I don't even like people to hold her harness, because then the kite will generate more power than she would have if she were flying alone. I would never ever consider a tether.

Jake
This is a fantastic explanation Mr Tux, this man knows what he's talking about and he put a lot of experience and thought into his response. Thanks Jake Moore. The real art of kiting is in attaining the downwind momentum (speed) and then using your board's edge and your body to convert that to upwind, like a tether that can be tightened or released. Tethering off? Just get a rubber band, pull back and.....twang! Medic! Dont be stupid.
Yeah for the record I'm not suggesting doing what has been demonstrated in these videos, which is making the fatal mistake of using a tether that allows the kiter to be lifted and dropped several feet. I am simply wondering if it is at all feasible to make it safe for the kiter and kite to be set up in such a way that there is no chance that they can be pulled into a position they do not want to be in if they mistakenly put the kite somewhere they shouldn't.

Perhaps 'tether' is the wrong word. Would it be easier to say that instead of a 'tether', that we have a pair of 500 pound guys holding on to the kiter and not letting go? ('Anchor') Jake mentioned holding his daughter while she launched, that is the kind of thing I'm talking about.

Maybe it stresses the lines too much (if overpowered), makes the kite go faster and pull harder than it normally would, and those are definitely valid points, and some of the things that would have to be taken into consideration if the kiter wants this kind of security.

Return to “Snow / Land”