All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Anchored while flying big kite for the first time?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:53 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Quote:
I am simply wondering
NO
how stupid are you?

I would hesitate to kite anywhere near you just based on this idea, it shows a complete lack of understanding and common sense.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:01 pm 
Frequent Poster

do you think in these videos that they hadn't tried to get something that wouldn't break? I'm sure they never went into this thinking that they were going to get hurt.

If you need to be held down while launching a kite... it's too windy to ride. 2, 500 lbs guys won't help as they can let go. An example...
When teaching I hold onto the harness of every student for most of the lesson. The point to this is that I am connected with my hand in order to provide verbal direction, or be able to yell an action to them should a mistake be made. During body drags it's common for my hand to give way and let go under the load. Nothing is 100%... don't think about doing something like this. You said you were wondering if this is possible... NO it isn't. It's not possible to manage the situation to be regarded as fool proof or safe. There, NO is the answer - case closed. You're safe to ride another day

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:41 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

supertux1 wrote:
Just trying to explore options for preventing a smaller kiter from being lifted or dragged while they make the transition from trainer to big kite.

go out when there's less wind. you're not gonna get hurt if its blowing 5 mph.

all beginners have to wait for the right wind conditions anyway. I dont know if you remember when you first started out. beginners cant go out when its nuking because they have no control over the kite, and they cant learn to water start if the wind is super light because they dont have enough board control.

Being a beginner means you have to wait for the right wind.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:50 am 
Rare Poster

Sooo uh?...this no tether rule?...This goes the same for getting towed behind a ski-doo????

:nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:52 am 
Very Frequent Poster

KiteCulture wrote:
I'm sure they never went into this thinking.

There, that's better!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:37 am 
Rare Poster

If you feel you have to anchor yourself, anchor your chickenloop to a tree or truck or something instead. You should be able to generate some incredible forces as you're tomahawking your kite to death.

bob

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:39 am 
Medium Poster

Ok, when advanced kiters get overpowered and no one is there to catch the kite they sometimes tie off to a stationary object and they land the kite, then run over quickly and grab it.... They don't try to fly it, they just set set it down real easy. But they know that kite and they know how it flies as second nature, like breathing or something. They just tie off and carefully set it on the ground. Yeah, if you know how to fly a kite you can do that. But after 4 seasons, I wont do it. I can't stand it, imagining what might happen. Thanks for bringing this up, you reminded me not to try it anymore. (That second youtube clip did it for me.....TWANG!. Is that poor guy still a factor in our human gene pool? One word, Darwin. Love the tatts. We have his cousins all over in downtown Huntington Beach.)

[ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3