Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

newbie to the sport..need questions answered!

Forum for snow- and landkiters
tbiglione
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

newbie to the sport..need questions answered!

Postby tbiglione » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:02 am

i just purchased a 2003 12m cabrinha black tip kite along with the harness and bar and lines on craigslist for 120$ was this a good deal? i weigh 130 lbs and i was wondering if it would be to strong for me too handle?

Also i was wondering if even though the kite is in amazing condition, the technology is too old to be an effective safe kite.

thanks for the help!

jcady
Medium Poster
Local Beach: lakes
Gear: 2013 LF NV, 2008 slingshot ranger, 2008 Eh Ripper, 2006 ozone frenzy, 2011 Wainman gypsy.

Re: newbie to the sport..need questions answered!

Postby jcady » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:28 am

it is possible to learn on a c kite but it is difficult. how much have you flown other kites "like a trainer"?A 12 is a little better then my first kite it was a 16m c. you can do some learning in supper light winds but is still crazy. i don't know what safety your bar has so i cant say too much. no mater what as long as thay are in good shape you have lines and leaders and de-power parts not to mention a harness. i know i didn't learn almost anything on my c-kite i got a 7m foil and flew a ton but it was a finicky kite and had trubbles. since i have gotten newer foils and bow/sle kites and must say that are a lot nicer to learn on. I liked foils for practice as i live in idaho and learned mostly on grass (wich is far from the best or safest) see if there is anyone in your area who can help you out. you might find the kite you have is less then ideal in which case keep the lines and bar sell the kite and look for a 2007 or newer high depower easy relaunch bow/SLE. or a 2005 small 4-7m foil like the ozone frenzy or accesses. I say it only because i know from hard experience that freindly kites and some help or lessons form a safe kiteboarder is better then crap gear and learning on your own. it might cost a little but I wasted at least a year trying to learn it would have been worth the extra money. plus you can get a good kite without bar or lines for around 200$ from time to time. look for something smaller also. best of luck

frankm1960
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: -Bayshore, at the end sea st. on saint John's west side, bay of fundy.
-Saints rest beach, at the end of sandy point road, irving nature park, saint john, west side.
Gear: Kites: 12m LF Mig, 9m LF Mig, 5m SS Fuel
Boards: LF proof 151cm, Real Wind 144cm, home made light wind board 160 x 50

Postby frankm1960 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:32 pm

I'm just curious why you didn't ask these questions before you bought the kite. Maybe you did on but on another forum?

Not a great deal but not that bad either. I would say do your home work and then do some more home work, hook up with some local kiters and stick with 8-12kts for the first dozen sessions or so.
Should be able to come out alive and well if you're really careful.

I'm 140lbs and learned on a 05 12m 5line C-kite on my own and obviously I've lived to tell about it. It was a long and bumpy road.

Good luck with it :)

tbiglione
Rare Poster

Postby tbiglione » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:34 am

thanks for the replys...i did my first test flight yesterday in really light winds and i was still being pulled along the ground at times...i have used trainers before so controlling the kite wasnt to difficult but im afraid that the power may be to much for me

waynepjh
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone edges and c4
Brand Affiliation: Ozone team rider

Postby waynepjh » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:56 pm

Its not a very safe kite by todays standards!

snobdr
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Dewey, Atlantic City

Postby snobdr » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:08 pm

Your in the land forum so my guess is your going to use this on land? At 130# a 12M is way to big except in the lightest of winds. Like others have said you can learn on older kites but the safetys werent the best. Just be extra carefull. Your light and can get over powered quickly.

frankm1960
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: -Bayshore, at the end sea st. on saint John's west side, bay of fundy.
-Saints rest beach, at the end of sandy point road, irving nature park, saint john, west side.
Gear: Kites: 12m LF Mig, 9m LF Mig, 5m SS Fuel
Boards: LF proof 151cm, Real Wind 144cm, home made light wind board 160 x 50

Postby frankm1960 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:06 pm

tbiglione wrote:thanks for the replys...i did my first test flight yesterday in really light winds and i was still being pulled along the ground at times...i have used trainers before so controlling the kite wasnt to difficult but im afraid that the power may be to much for me
If you're thinking of selling your kite and bar let me know.

tbiglione
Rare Poster

Postby tbiglione » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:04 pm

my goal is to eventually snowboard with it...but for now i just want to be comfortable flying and jumping with the kite

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:06 am

tbiglione wrote:i just purchased a 2003 12m cabrinha black tip kite along with the harness and bar and lines on craigslist for 120$ was this a good deal? i weigh 130 lbs and i was wondering if it would be to strong for me too handle?

Also i was wondering if even though the kite is in amazing condition, the technology is too old to be an effective safe kite.

thanks for the help!
that sounds like a fine kite for you when you are an advanced rider. I think you can already tell that the wind range for a kite like that is very narrow for a beginner.

go buy a new kite, keep this one for later when you get better. with a new kite you'll be able to kite nearly every day and progress very rapidly because you'll be so much safer thanks to the great depower of modern kites.

If you stick with your current kite, expect it to take months or years longer to get to the next level, after all you can't level up if you cant go out most days because theres either too much wind or too little wind.

g-force junkie
Rare Poster
Local Beach: no beaches just big mountains covered in snow
Style: kiteskiing
Gear: Naish x3 17
Naish areo 2 14
Naish ar5 9.5
Naish arx 9.5
Rrd lupe 7 12
Cabrihna blacktip 7
Cabrihna co2
Mosquito pro ks 5.5
Head mojo 90 twin tips
Head racing skis

Postby g-force junkie » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:22 am

snobdr wrote:Your in the land forum so my guess is your going to use this on land? At 130# a 12M is way to big except in the lightest of winds. Like others have said you can learn on older kites but the safetys werent the best. Just be extra carefull. Your light and can get over powered quickly.
Dude,
as snobdr said this kite is to big for you, besides the Blacktip is a high performance kite and it will spank you, a 150.00 bargain may cost you a 100 times that in med bills, sorry to be so blunt but as another poster said save the kite for when you can handle it, until then get a user friendly kite in the 6,7,8 meter range that will advance your skills at a fast pace and keep you safe .

Return to “Snow / Land”