Style: wakestyle
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: snowkite boards vs snowboards

Postby kiteflight_ru » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:52 pm

frankm1960 wrote:
Billy B. wrote: ...
'm looking forward to eliminating rigid boots and bindings :)
I guess such bindings are OK if you will be just riding carefully left and right, but if you start practicing some freestyle elements it might get to a dangerous point. Snow is much stiffer than water in many cases, there could be some ice or land bits sticking out of the snow. And bad landing of a jump will put more strain on your ankles when you will be wearing winter boots, and not snowboard boots.

Also it will be much more difficult to drop off your board wearing winter boots than it is with bare feet in the water - in the water the surface is more slippery. So you'll end up with one foot in the board, as guys said before.

So if something goes wrong you could break or twist your ankle - it will be much easier than wearing the traditional snowboard boots. So take care and watch for the snow conditions when you will be riding!

alexrider
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: foils and foils

Postby alexrider » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:59 am

frankm1960 wrote:....
Check out my "new" bindings :lol: Just put them on last week and looking forward to trying them out this year. It's a rough prototype right now. I used my old LF straps. I'm hoping to use my regular winter boots. Tired of rigid boots and bindings. I'd like my knees and lower legs to be able to move a bit, like they can on water so that's what prompted this idea. I hope it works.
So what's the story Frank? Please tell us your experience.
:bye:
Alex

snobdr
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Dewey, Atlantic City

Postby snobdr » Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:23 am

Really theres not much difference between what he is doing and how we ride atb or mountain board. I wear sneakers doing that. You learn quickly how to get rid of the board.

frankm1960
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: -Bayshore, at the end sea st. on saint John's west side, bay of fundy.
-Saints rest beach, at the end of sandy point road, irving nature park, saint john, west side.
Gear: Kites: 12m LF Mig, 9m LF Mig, 5m SS Fuel
Boards: LF proof 151cm, Real Wind 144cm, home made light wind board 160 x 50

Postby frankm1960 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:37 pm

alexrider wrote:
frankm1960 wrote:....
Check out my "new" bindings :lol: Just put them on last week and looking forward to trying them out this year. It's a rough prototype right now. I used my old LF straps. I'm hoping to use my regular winter boots. Tired of rigid boots and bindings. I'd like my knees and lower legs to be able to move a bit, like they can on water so that's what prompted this idea. I hope it works.
So what's the story Frank? Please tell us your experience.
:bye:
Alex
I will post as soon as I've tried them. The snow kiting season hasn't started hear yet, at least not where I am. We're still getting frequent rain storms with seasonally high temps :(

I know my regular winter boots fit in them real nice, not to loose and not to snug. I'm hoping to duplicate the feel of kitesurfing more or less. No hassles getting into and out of bindings and no stiff boots either. Another poster here in this thread has said there are folks snow kiting with strapless boards, just like on the water so that's encouraging news.

My set up didn't cost me a cent to make, just time, and they were easy to make.

Bigdog
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Wolfe Island
Style: Old and grey surfer dude style
Gear: Core xr5 and windego boards

Postby Bigdog » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:21 pm

I have been kitesnowboarding for 10 years and started on a standard sidecut radius board and normal bindings. That all works well. Now I like flow bindings for the in/out ease and a straighter sidecut radius like 13m instead of 8-9m of a normal board. I have made a 20m sidecut radius which is almost straight and works really well on ice but in decent snow you lose a bit of the quick turn and pop you get on a normal board.

I think you will find the windsurfing strap setup dangerous for your knees and not good in diverse conditions compared to flow or regular bindings.

Just my 2 cents.

I need snow!

Stan

DenisLaMenace
Medium Poster
Local Beach: It's a secret spot
Favorite Beaches: Ask flipper231
Style: I'm French Canadian so my style is weird
Gear: Everything that can fit into my Honda Odyssey
Brand Affiliation: Webmaster at http://www.kiteforum.ca

Postby DenisLaMenace » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:37 am

guys

once you have a snowkite board, FLOW bindings, all you need then are the new snowkite pivot systems (another made in quebec genial invention)

check this out

http://kiteforum.ca/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1008 (french canadian forum)

windrupted
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: North Beach, Barney Line, The Wood in Ventucky, Island Park Idaho and Mt Hagin MT
Favorite Beaches: G-Land (Plenkung Point)
Style: Waves, Goofy or Switch
Gear: Craigslist
Brand Affiliation: Charles Shaw

Postby windrupted » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:51 am

"I guess such bindings are OK if you will be just riding carefully left and right, but if you start practicing some freestyle elements it might get to a dangerous point. Snow is much stiffer than water in many cases, there could be some ice or land bits sticking out of the snow. And bad landing of a jump will put more strain on your ankles when you will be wearing winter boots, and not snowboard boots.

Also it will be much more difficult to drop off your board wearing winter boots than it is with bare feet in the water - in the water the surface is more slippery. So you'll end up with one foot in the board, as guys said before.

So if something goes wrong you could break or twist your ankle - it will be much easier than wearing the traditional snowboard boots. So take care and watch for the snow conditions when you will be riding!"

These observations are correct. I also wish for a bit more freedom of movement than is afforded by my traditional snowboard bindings, but I know that all the one foot out pro shit you see will f*** up your knees and ankles for life. It comes from skateboarding. I hate that boneless shit on a skateboard too, only a landlocked skate rat would get bored enough to invent such sillyness. But on a skateboard you are not going to screw your leg off at the knee if it goes badly. Don't buy it, you wont get any Redbull money either way so dont do it. Unless you like compound fractures....if you still feel the need to pose faux pro drink some high fructose corn syrup laced with guarana.

snobdr
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Dewey, Atlantic City

Postby snobdr » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:45 pm

These observations are correct. I also wish for a bit more freedom of movement than is afforded by my traditional snowboard bindings, but I know that all the one foot out pro shit you see will f*** up your knees and ankles for life. It comes from skateboarding. I hate that boneless shit on a skateboard too, only a landlocked skate rat would get bored enough to invent such sillyness. But on a skateboard you are not going to screw your leg off at the knee if it goes badly
Theres no difference between straps on a snowboard and straps on an ATB. Check any vid of guys throwin shit on a landboard.There always throwin board offs and one foot stuff. Just because its not your stye or within your ability lever dosent mean its wack.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:32 pm

snobdr wrote:Theres no difference between straps on a snowboard and straps on an ATB. Check any vid of guys throwin shit on a landboard.There always throwin board offs and one foot stuff. Just because its not your stye or within your ability level dosent mean its wack.

thats like saying snowboarding and skateboarding are the same. The ATB rides flat, the snowboard rides on the edge. I dont think anyone is saying its not possible, but why ride straps and be worn out in 15 minutes instead boots that let you ride all day.

knewschool
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Big Sandy, Palisades, Mud Lake, Jackson Lake...
Favorite Beaches: Waddell Creek, Sherman Island

Snow kite spots are growing fastly and epicly.
Style: Wake, Big loops, Glides
Gear: Ozone kites, Xenon boards, Velocity Twisted, B3 Split Boards
Brand Affiliation: Ozone, Xenon, B3, Twisted

Postby knewschool » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:26 pm

I know one thing for certain regarding simple hook straps like waterkite and land boards. You can't body drag in snow. So if it's hard to post hole because it's deep snow. you'll have a hell of a time getting back to your board if you kick it off or loose it. You don't want to be like a skiier and clog up the LZ all day picking up your pieces. Once I had my board slide down a little hill and upwind while I was taking pictures or something and it was insanely hard to get my board. However, shallow or hard snow... roll with it if you want.

Return to “Snow / Land”