All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: What mountainboards are best for kiting?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:48 pm 
Rare Poster

I live in the midwest and winter isn't coming fast enough. Seems like I would get a lot of use out of a landboard and was going to pick one up. I have done some looking around and it looks like MBS and Ground Industries are the biggest names out there. Does anyone have any good info on what boards I should look into? Is it worth spending the extra money on the kite specific models or would I get the same satisfaction out of the more basic models? I just need something to bridge the gap between water riding and snow, which can take quite a while where I am from. By the way, I am 195lbs if that makes an difference and I hope to do more than mow the lawn if I get comfortable enough with riding the board. Thanks, Aaron

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: What mountainboards are best for kiting?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:30 pm 
Frequent Poster

Ground Industries hands down. I've used them since the begining. Everthying is replaceable and the trucks aren't skate like trucks the torsion cubes are replaceable for different conditions. The bindings are snowboard style which is good for adjustment on the fly. The vegas hubs are tough. I've yet to completely destroy a board even from 30 foot crashes when you know you wont land to ride it out.

The lower models have been far better for me i've tried some of the uppers too but I find it interesting that the AK model which is mostly a wood deck is actually lighter then the high end models. If you're just starting out you'll not see the diff.

I ground board almost daily in the off season and if you learn to be profcient on a groundboard all other displines are simple. Much more finesse and kite control are required. Be careful the ground is much harder for falls and hot boosting.

HQ is another to consider long time ago they used springs which were shit but the newer models are pretty sweet.

Haven't got on the MBS lots fly with em I just couldn't buy into high speed kiting with skate trucks.

sixsixone makes awesome support fall equipment with their pressure suits if you fly lakes in the winter they can be good for that too ice is hard.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:48 pm 
Medium Poster

I had a MBS until it got stolen, but i loved the trucks. i found the MBS easier to start with then my friends groundindustry simply because you can preload the shocks so it is more difficult to turn back side then front making front side and not going too far up wind easier. if i have one advice get something that has some flex not just a wood plank. most of all get something light my board was nice but weighed 16lbs. thay all work its up to you and your style.
good luck

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:35 am 
Very Frequent Poster

light weight boards are better!
i use a GI prodigy
steer clear of the vegas wheels.
the 4 points loosen up, not the screws either!
lots of hard use will cause them to run bumpy on the smoothest of terrain

keep the tires pumped up to maximum capacity!
one flat can sour a whole board,
keep a spare

and tools and spare screws with teflon tape!

[ 4 posts ]