All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Has anyone tried bindingless/strapless snowkiting? etc...
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:53 am 
Very Frequent Poster

As I am about to start snowkiting, I am wondering what is the best gear to start with.
Also wondering whether I should start with skis or a snowboard.

The snowboard option raises a few questions for the newcomer I am:
First of all, I'd like to feel as much as possible as on a water kiteboard, and not have my feet bound by rigid boots and fixed binding, so if someone has experience snowboarding with straps, I'd appreciate the feedback. Frankm1960, in a nearby thread, mentioned that in a post dating 2007, but nothing since then.

Although I reckon being attached somehow to the board is preferable, I remain curious to know if someone ever snowboarded strapless (with or without kite), with a more suitable board for that particular form of the sport, such as a big directional snowboard or why not a SUP :lol: made for snow?

Considering that my useful background for snowkiting is both alpine skiing and water kiteboarding, I am still undecided what should be my first choice. Has anyone here been in the same situation?

Thanks,
Alex

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Has anyone tried bindingless/strapless snowkiting? etc..
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:29 am 
Frequent Poster

There is a snow skate. Its like a skateboard for snow. No bindings. If you have skiied before and have skis give that a try. I think for the total newbie that is the easier of the two. If you have water kited before picking up a snowboard should not be a problem. If you have alot of powder and pick up a twisted board( positive rocker and sidecut) riding will be very close to water kiting

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:26 am 
Very Frequent Poster

snobdr wrote:
There is a snow skate. Its like a skateboard for snow. No bindings. If you have skiied before and have skis give that a try. I think for the total newbie that is the easier of the two. If you have water kited before picking up a snowboard should not be a problem. If you have alot of powder and pick up a twisted board( positive rocker and sidecut) riding will be very close to water kiting

Thanks, that's what I was gathering.
Now for the bindings; are there many options? I'd go for the loosest. Are straps, kiteboard style used at all?
And the question again: has anyone snowboarded strapless with standard snowboard or dedicated gear, apart the snow skate?
Cheers
Alex

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:19 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Have yet to go snowkiting but the nuggets I've tucked in my hear are ...
Boots & bindings are necessary, no such thing as straps.
Get a board with as little sidecut as possible or you'll be turning into the wind all day ... also make sure it's 'symetrical' about the center - my board has the binding centered to the rear like a directional - switch riding is next to impossible.

You might enjoy skis more ... just make sure they have little to no side cut too :)

Seen the snow skate, looks totally useless for snow kiting - doubt it'll edge at all.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:00 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Me like!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:46 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

I posted these in another thread (basically I should have started this thread instead of hijacking the other one)

I will post as soon as I've tried them. The snow kiting season hasn't started hear yet, at least not where I am. We're still getting frequent rain storms with unseasonally high temps :(

I know my regular winter boots fit in them real nice, not to loose and not to snug. I'm hoping to duplicate the feel of kitesurfing more or less. No hassles getting into and out of bindings and no stiff boots either, more freedom in the lower legs, less sore knees...

Another poster in the other thread http://www.kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2367825&start=20 has said there are folks snow kiting with strapless boards, just like on the water so that's encouraging news.

My set up didn't cost me a cent to make, just time, and they were easy to make.

Attachments:
IMG_0002.JPG
IMG_0002.JPG [ 58.83 KIB | Viewed 1089 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:30 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

I only snowkite occasionally so I am not the leading authority on the subject, but I would be willing to say that riding a snowboard without bindings in anything other than really soft/deep snow would be tough.

The problem is that you need to bear down on the edges harder than you would in the water and without some fixed connection to the board it would be hard to do that. If you are edging hard and cannot keep the board in the right position there is a good chance of catching an edge and doing a good face plant...not as pleasant on hard ground as on water.

I forgot my snowboard boots at home the other day and, unwilling to give up the session, I tried using my Uggs and that worked OK, but still not as secure of contact with the board. this was in fairly light wind, flat terrain, 3-4" of fresh snow.

otherwise...snowboard boots are really comfy, nothing like ski boots.

the other thing is if you are on any sort of sloping terrain your board may get away from you when it leaves your feet (?)

let it snow!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:40 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Kamikuza wrote:
Me like!
Vimeo "SnowKite Pivot System"

Me like too much! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Where me get?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:57 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

They sure look better than that home made piece of crap I got going :)
I wonder what they cost.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:59 am 
Medium Poster

They (pivoting bindings)are listed at $349.00 CDN, Plus $40.00 shipping to the US. Kind of spendy, but they sure look comfy!

[ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next