Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

2011 Ozone Frenzy Review

Forum for snow- and landkiters
Noahpz
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Big mtn snowkiting w/ lots of freestyle
Gear: Ozone Hyperlink V3 - 7,9,11,13. Ozone Chrono EXP 15m.
Brand Affiliation: Ozone
Has thanked: 0

2011 Ozone Frenzy Review

Postby Noahpz » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:44 pm

We’ve had over month of fantastic snowkiting in the northern Rockies and I thought I would share my initial experience of flying the 2011 Ozone Frenzy. The new Frenzy was significantly redesigned for this year and the results are quite astounding. This kite is in a league of its own in performance (stability, speed, power).

First to mention is the wing’s stability. This kite is so stable that gusty days seem smooth. The wing tips hold their shape and the resulting stability translates into an incredibly smooth power transfer to the rider during jibes and while in the air during flight. Many, many times I have sent the Frenzy from low in the window into wildly high boosts. The kite just does what I tell it to: sends me skyward. No surprises, no unusual collapses, easy redirection for super smooth landings. In my mind, the kite seems safer because of this designed stability.

Low, powerful jibes are a real pleasure with this kite. It flies fast, for sure. However, just the slightest amount of sheeting and the kite will lock into its sweet spot and deliver an incredible amount of speed and power. Unlike the Manta which required a small amount of constant bar input to keep it going fast, the ’11 Frenzy needs none of that. It finds its speed (and resulting power) by where you place it in the window and will hold on to that spot without any effort.

So far I have had a couple dozen days on the 13, a few on the 11 and one amazing session on the 9m. The range on all sizes is very nice with a decent amount of overlap. When I was out on the 11 the other day I could have easily flown the 9m. When out on the nine (gusts to 35mph, 6” of new pow), I would have been super-lit on the 11 and had a fun time if I had flown the 7.

This year’s Frenzy has many small but noteworthy changes that translate to an extraordinary kiting experience. Some changes are immediately noticeable: The mesh leading edge significantly eliminates snow buildup inside when riding in storms. Other changes are more subtle: How effortless the kite will back down when the back line safety strap is pulled. Another is the incorporation of blow-out valves that reduce the possibility of kite damage when crashing it into the ground.

All in all I believe that this is the nicest, best flying foil that Ozone has produced and will give me many, many months of fun and pleasure this winter! I hope you have a chance to fly one, if you do, don’t hesitate, you’ll be glad you did!

Destination Moon
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Re: 2011 Ozone Frenzy Review

Postby Destination Moon » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:21 pm

Great Review Noah. Super stoked to fly the new Frenzy and ride with you again this winter.!! :thumb:
Let it snow!

Paul

PBKiteboarding
Very Frequent Poster
Style: New School
Gear: Fone
Nobile
Ozone Water & Snow
Flysurfer
Flyboards
Ocean Rodeo
Seaspecs
Location: PBKiteboarding.com Sales-Repair-Lessons Ozone, Aboards, Flysurfer, OR, Canada USA Worlwide

Postby PBKiteboarding » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:51 pm

Good review.. They are the best sellers this year with all the improvements!
Good going Ozone... for really putting all this new Design into the Frenzy..

Some fun on the 7m Frenzy 2011

Paul
www.PBKiteboarding.com
Last edited by PBKiteboarding on Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wreknball
Frequent Poster

Postby wreknball » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:28 am

Just flew my new 13m Frenzy 11' today for the first time. What a fun kite to fly. You're right on the money Noah, Stability, Speed & Power sum this kite up well.

Marty
Frequent Poster

Postby Marty » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:29 pm

wreknball wrote:Just flew my new 13m Frenzy 11' today for the first time. What a fun kite to fly. You're right on the money Noah, Stability, Speed & Power sum this kite up well.
Will the 13M Frenzy replace your 15M Manta II for low end power?

wreknball
Frequent Poster

Postby wreknball » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:24 pm

Marty wrote:Will the 13M Frenzy replace your 15M Manta II for low end power?

Yes. I made the switch to the 13m Frenzy. For the type of kiting I do, which is mostly mountain touring and powder, I like the mobility and speed of the 13m Frenzy over the sheer power of the 15m. When in the hills I can't get away from looping the kite once in a while and the 15m was a lot of kite to loop all day long. The low end was nice, the boosts were floaty and if I was into gliding, then yeah the 15m would be the way to go.

The 2011 13m Frenzy does everything I like my kites to do, but it does it better. The loops are fast, powerful and controlled and the kite accelerates quickly to give you power whenever you need it, and its stable and tame when you don't need the power. It's the perfect snowkite kite for me.

Destination Moon
Medium Poster

Postby Destination Moon » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:56 am

Flew the 2010 11M frenzy for the first time today. Noah's review is bang on! Early in the session, I flew last years 9M frenzy well powered in the morning. By 1pm, the wind backed off and I thought it a good time to rig the 2010, 11M for the next time out. Unexpectedly, the wind increased again and I got to fly it in light wind on a very fast surface for about 45 minutes. For the record: I am not a big air guy, but kite 30 to 40 days each season, the last three years. What I lack in "extreamism" I make up for in enthusiasm :D

I was surprised how easy the new kite filled in a light wind. Especially with the partially closed cells. Maybe easier than the previous open design. Once in the air one of the biggest changes is how the kite turns. It now pivots at the center of the kite. Its quicker turning and feels more responsive. Last years kites (and previous) pivot off the turning line. The difference is impressive.

The kite in light wind was much less likely to backstall or deflate. The wind was smooth today so I have no experience in gusty conditions yet. But you can tell right away, the kite is more stable, smoother through the air, and SOLID. The De-power seems better, by maybe 10% or so. I also liked the new anatomical bar even though I didn't really expect to like it any better than last years bar.

Each year Ozone has made changes to their kites in a evolutionary progression. The Mega Loop, The Y line, made the kites better in incremental ways. Safer, more stable. This year, the progression is more dramatic. Its the kite itself (and the bridal) that has evolved. Jumping two or three rungs instead of just one.

Happy Holidays, and a Snowy, Cold, WINDY, New Year! Cheers!!

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:02 am

marty the 15m manta will be better upwind than the frenzy and have a better ultra low end. but the frenzy will have a higher top end and be faster.

transcanadatom
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Spray Lakes
Favorite Beaches: Keho, Spray Lakes in the Winter
Style: Cruiser
Gear: 2009 Eclipse Nano 7/9/11m, 2009 Thruster 14m, Crazyfly Cruiser

Postby transcanadatom » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:04 pm

After 20 hours flying the 2011 Frenzy 11m I thought I might chime in. Great kite, fast and super stable. Always retains shape at the edge of the window without the wingtips folding in like on my Manta. Handle gusts with aplomb. A jumping machine when powered right, really could not be happier, moves fast and secure, really a beautiful kite for the snow and something anyone would be happy with. Not the same speed as an SLE but close without all of the nonsense of pumping up in the snow. In terms of range for me I think 20 to 55 kilometers. But I light to be fully lit when out there.

PBKiteboarding
Very Frequent Poster
Style: New School
Gear: Fone
Nobile
Ozone Water & Snow
Flysurfer
Flyboards
Ocean Rodeo
Seaspecs
Location: PBKiteboarding.com Sales-Repair-Lessons Ozone, Aboards, Flysurfer, OR, Canada USA Worlwide

Postby PBKiteboarding » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:58 pm

Mega Loops on the 7m Frenzy are Wild the Kite is so Fast...!
I'll do a vid of it...

Just out Kiting Downtown Toronto Canada (Near my Ozone Shop Headquarters)
A few days ago and teaching a new on the 7m up north and a Magazine shoot.... Sweet!

So many Happy Customers on them!

Paul
www.PBKiteboarding.com
Attachments
Snowkiting_Kiteskiing_Toronto_Ontario_Canada_002.jpg
2011 Ozone Frenzy 7m
www.PBKiteboarding.com
Snowkiting_Kiteskiing_Toronto_Ontario_Canada.jpg
2011 Ozone Frenzy 7m
www.PBKiteboarding.com
Last edited by PBKiteboarding on Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Snow / Land”