jumarcil
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Bozo Beach
Gear: Core xr3: 7 and 9, escape 11m 2015, leopard 9 and 11
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: 2011 Ozone Frenzy Review

Postby jumarcil » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:16 pm

Your Pics are very nice Paul. I hope to have a chance to try the 2011 Frenzy soon.

waynepjh
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone edges and c4
Brand Affiliation: Ozone team rider

Postby waynepjh » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:42 pm

The tips do fold in a little bit but only when the kite is too far out of the window or riding with the bar too far out. I believe it is not any worse than years before. Plus it does not mean a thing, paragliders do it and they are not faulty! The new frenzy is really an amazing foil! But to claim there is no tip folding is kinda silly! All foils will do it! imho wayne :jump:

Billy B.
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Strawberry, Big Bad UT Lake, Rush mudpuddle.
DC
Favorite Beaches: Strawberry, Rufus,, Hampton NH. San Diego lite wind ninja shit.
Style: Learning,... as in I am still learning.
Gear: 2014 north gear

All of it
North and Race boards
North twin tip and directional yummyness.
Surfboard and strapless play stuff.
Brand Affiliation: I am a North snowkite athlete.
Been thanked: 0

Postby Billy B. » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:12 pm

waynepjh wrote:The tips do fold in a little bit but only when the kite is too far out of the window or riding with the bar too far out. I believe it is not any worse than years before. Plus it does not mean a thing, paragliders do it and they are not faulty! The new frenzy is really an amazing foil! But to claim there is no tip folding is kinda silly! All foils will do it! imho wayne :jump:

+1 all foils can and will fold tips. As A guy who just walked away from foil kites I am missing the set up time, and pack ability, but thats all.

I don't want to seem like a ass but it's always the same thing with the foil kites, You always hear statements comparing them to good pump up kites.

But know one ever says the fly as good as the kites they compare them too. Just like them (this years frenzy feels alot like a c-kite" one poster said.

I love foils and their throw and go ability. But As soon as I am done pumping up I have a kite to fly so the point about quickness of set up is muted by the proformance of the pump up kite. Never folded a wing tip on one, had one collapse mid jump, or had one fill up with snow and fly like crap on a stormy day.

Heh Ravil I will be seeing you in UT and ID perhaps Patrick will find his way up here also.....I would go frenzy over the manta in this years kite. It is way more your style! And has some new features that are just pimp. Plus you can buy a kite from the guys on snow at the demo events that are out marketing their goods, while promoting snowkiting.

ravil
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Volga river
Favorite Beaches: Blagovechenskaya, Anapa Black Sea,
Hurgada, Dahab Egypt Red Sea Dillon Lake, Powder Mts,
Style: old school
Gear: ozone in winter
f-one in summer

Postby ravil » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:57 pm

Thank you Billy for good tips. See you!!

PBKiteboarding
Very Frequent Poster
Style: New School
Gear: Fone
Nobile
Ozone Water & Snow
Flysurfer
Flyboards
Ocean Rodeo
Seaspecs
Location: PBKiteboarding.com Sales-Repair-Lessons Ozone, Aboards, Flysurfer, OR, Canada USA Worlwide

Postby PBKiteboarding » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:28 pm

Ozone makes great Foils and Inflatables , so lots of Good Options.
But there is lots more to know I find after flying Open Cell, Closed Cell (Flysurfers) and Inflatable over the years.
Tons of Customer Feedback...

If was a s easy as saying
get an inflatable kite if you don't mind pumping for 5 minutes
to avoid tips tuck on a foil... Life would be easy...

There is much more to it than that for sure...
But all great fun thinking about it, kiting is one great Sport!

Paul
www.PBKiteboarding.com

ravil
Rare Poster
f-one in summer

Postby ravil » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:45 am

Today at The Dillon Snowkite Open I got a chance to try new 2011 Ozone Frenzy 9m.
Great thanks to Dave Grossman, Drift Snowkite Magazine! http://driftsnowkitemag.com/
The wind was really bad. The forecast promised gusts to 40knots
but after riding I think wind was in front of Dillon dam from 4 to 20knots.
May be a bit more. Sometimes in several minutes there was no wind at all.
I rode from Dillon Marina to middle of the lake.
When gusting I held the kite in about 10am position and almost stopped the skis
because of I was a bit scared about what could up next - new never tried kite,
no idea about the upper limit of the wind. I saw a bit earlier when gusting the tube kite pulling someone's body face down.
The new Frenzy performed very well.
When gusting the kite flew very fast forward to wind edge without pulling you out
and when gust ended kite saved shape and calmly drifted back still keeping the 10am position.
I'm not sure mine Frenzy 07 could repeat that.
Between the gusts it was light wind probably 4-6knot so I had to wave the kite and this was really easy
because new Frenzy turns around fast and it looks like the kite turns around of the middle of the kite.
By the way I say that kite kept the same turning speed when wind was strong.
I got impression that it's a bit more easy to launch Frenzy07 in light wind than the new one.
In total I liked new Frenzy 9m very much.
P.S. It seemed to me that I was the only one who had good snowkiting at Dillon Marina area today)

waynepjh
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone edges and c4
Brand Affiliation: Ozone team rider

Postby waynepjh » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:43 pm

I am a tube kite guy but I have some foils for mt climbing. The new frenzy is hands down the best foil kite I have ever flown. The wing tip thing means nothing there is no loss of power all you have to do is sheet in or turn the kite. The bar pressure is what I noticed the most. It is lighter than my edge or c4. The feeling of this kite is amazing "for a foil" Get out and try one! imo wayne

ravil
Rare Poster
f-one in summer

Postby ravil » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:47 pm

I didn't notice any troubles with wing tips that made\forced\ me to watch\to pay attention\ to tips.
What Frenzy kite size did you try? Is there any difference between 9 and 11meters?
Dave gave me also to try 13m kite too but I was not enough brave guy for that wind. Hope to test new Frenzy 13m at Superfly.

Craz Z
Frequent Poster

Postby Craz Z » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:12 pm

I don't want to seem like a ass but it's always the same thing with the foil kites, You always hear statements comparing them to good pump up kites.

But know one ever says the fly as good as the kites they compare them too. Just like them (this years frenzy feels alot like a c-kite" one poster said.

I love foils and their throw and go ability. But As soon as I am done pumping up I have a kite to fly so the point about quickness of set up is muted by the proformance of the pump up kite. Never folded a wing tip on one, had one collapse mid jump, or had one fill up with snow and fly like crap on a stormy day.

Heh Ravil I will be seeing you in UT and ID perhaps Patrick will find his way up here also.....I would go frenzy over the manta in this years kite. It is way more your style! And has some new features that are just pimp. Plus you can buy a kite from the guys on snow at the demo events that are out marketing their goods, while promoting snowkiting
Thats why all the pimping is outta control cause they have too. There is no such thing as a snowkite and nothing will be done to get a foil anywhere close to where the inflatables are at. Anyone that has flown a foil for a long time and actually made the effort to try inflatables on snow will never look back. Except of course they wanna use em as a tow rope for free ride, quickie seshs during a lunch break, or just wanna tour around and stay on the ground.

NO folds, NO twisting, fluttering, NO violent reinflation, NO kite flagged out on safety destroy its self. Regardless of secret paragliding technolgy or any other terminolgy to make them sound better then they really are.

But on the other hand they are still a kite and still have a place in the kiting world and many many people enjoy flying them especially when the condtions are right. They aren't bad nor is anyone wrong for flying them but they certainly are not the best or even above any other kite specially on snow or any other discpline.

I believe all kites are equal and when I say there is no such thing as a snowkite its true you don't see all tubes being called water kites.(that would be silly as foils are now being used on water) simply put there are inflatos and foils nothing more nothing less. The term becomes even more apparent when a long time foil flier switches and actually enjoys themselves or vice versa.

Still interested if the blowout valves on the new frenzy works in a good ol fashioned high wind tomahawk?

P.S. to all the pump haters get a compressor and watch yourself flying before your foil friends.

endo
Rare Poster

Postby endo » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:24 am

Tubes are for teenagers who can't afford a second dedicated winter foil kite. :lol:

Return to “Snow / Land”