Forum for snow- and landkiters
stormboarding
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Krug: 59.1mph; 12 going on 35(mph) and boarding on black ice

Postby stormboarding » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:19 pm

This was one of the Stormboarding Speed Ranking's biggest early seasons both in terms of participation and speed.

Peter Lynn team rider, Chris Krug, opened the season with a big speed of 59.1mph on a small lake in NH (the video is posted on the speed page).

Other notable early season rides were from 12 year old Morgan Coyne who went a respectable 35mph for any age on Oneida Lake in NY. He is the youngest to go up on the speed list.

We also have a video of Gary Kjelleren showing how a little ingenuity will let snowboarders have lots of fun even on slick, snowless, black ice.

The early season also featured a relatively diverse location list with riders from Finland to Ohio participating.

A reminder... you never know when you could win a great prize. While we will always recognize weekly winners in terms of speed, riders will only receive one prize per month. So if, say, Chris wins again, we will list him as the speediest but will pick another category for that week's prize. Anything from top woman, kid, rider in a hay field, best photo or video or best improvement in speed from the week before...you never know.

See the list, prizes, videos and rules at: http://www.stormboarding.com/speedranking1011.html

Happy new year to everyone. We hope this is a safe and fun year on and off the ice.

Think snow (and ice),

rzm
www.stormboarding.com

airsurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Style: surf and hydrofoil big air and kiteloops
Gear: Ozone,Firewire, Moses, Zeeko,Levitaz, NP, ION

Re: Krug: 59.1mph; 12 going on 35(mph) and boarding on black

Postby airsurfer » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:59 pm

what's the wind speed to get those type of results? how the hell do you stop on ice with skis? Sorry for the dumb question but the only ice we see here is in drinks.

kjelleren
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kjelleren » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:15 am

There's nothing wrong with ice in drinks. A good 20 will get a good set of skis going up to around 50. 25 can get you close to 60. Then there are the magic gusts to create huge accelleration boosts. Good stuff.

Skis are faster. Snowboards are generally below 50.

snowspider
Medium Poster
Local Beach: trying sylvan in 09
tug hill 09
Style: beginer
Gear: 2m , 3.6m , 5m , 9m foils ,,, 7+10m slingshot turbo diesle's
ski boards and home made "snow spider"

Postby snowspider » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:03 pm

On the day Morgan hit 35 I measured winds at 8-9 mph , A big wind sock we had would barely stay inflated. At the end of that particular run he said " wow that was fast". I'm guessing he was in the right position with his edges locked in and caught a little gust. He had a PL 5.3 Viper up on skis and I was using a 7.5 HQ Apex that day runing a little slower on a home brewed kitesled.

Billy B.
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Strawberry, Big Bad UT Lake, Rush mudpuddle.
DC
Favorite Beaches: Strawberry, Rufus,, Hampton NH. San Diego lite wind ninja shit.
Style: Learning,... as in I am still learning.
Gear: 2014 north gear

All of it
North and Race boards
North twin tip and directional yummyness.
Surfboard and strapless play stuff.
Brand Affiliation: I am a North snowkite athlete.

Postby Billy B. » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:24 pm

kjelleren wrote:There's nothing wrong with ice in drinks. A good 20 will get a good set of skis going up to around 50. 25 can get you close to 60. Then there are the magic gusts to create huge accelleration boosts. Good stuff.

Skis are faster. Snowboards are generally below 50.
Last year I went 62.3 on a snowboard.... on a 10m kite in about 25-35 knots of wind.

kjelleren
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kjelleren » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:29 am

Billy,
was that on flat ground? That is hauling on a snowboard..

What kind of snowboard and what were the conditions?

Hardwater Kiter
Frequent Poster
Style: Rough and tumble
Gear: Ram air and single skin Foil kites. Long skis to truck, short skis to huck.
Brand Affiliation: www.hardwaterkiter.com Authorized retailers of Flysurfer. Ozone, HQ kites and Gin kites.

Postby Hardwater Kiter » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:46 am

I agree, that's smokin' for a board. I too am curious about conditions for a boarder to bag 62.3mph on a board. I'd like to see the data too. I don't ride a board so I don't really know the dynamics involved but it would make more sense to me to o for speed on an alpine board with hard plates and boots. In the right conditions I would think one could manage mid 50-60 speeds.

This theory is based solely on what I've seen on the hill with carving boards.

10m with that wind would definately haul the mail. With speeds like that youshould be in on the speed ranking. Win some goodies. :D

Kjelleren is right about the speed thing. And the magic gusts are pretty handy.

Billy B.
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Strawberry, Big Bad UT Lake, Rush mudpuddle.
DC
Favorite Beaches: Strawberry, Rufus,, Hampton NH. San Diego lite wind ninja shit.
Style: Learning,... as in I am still learning.
Gear: 2014 north gear

All of it
North and Race boards
North twin tip and directional yummyness.
Surfboard and strapless play stuff.
Brand Affiliation: I am a North snowkite athlete.

Postby Billy B. » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:51 pm

The gear I was rocking that day was a 200cm free ride board, at strawberry out on the lake with wind blown compresed snow a couple of inches deep on top of deeper snow and ice., I think if I break out my Super G board and hard boots I can go faster, with the help of a hill I should be able to go over 70 but thats just not fair to those who ride where there are not hills. Before kiting I was a world level alpine snowboard athlete, and have not yet taken the time to truly prep my board and really go for speed. I just happened to borrow a GPS from another kiter a few days last year and did post my speed on stormboarding, but the old borrowed GPS has no cable hook so I could not get the data to meet the 60+ mph requirement. This year I have a new GPS and have already had some low 40 mph days on big kites ( Zephyr). My friends Tommy Renyolds(on tele gear) and Mike Brown have already had some fast days this year also, but we really just go out and free ride and then check our speeds at the end of the day, the day I went over 60 I was really trying though..I even had to borrow a kite from another company cuz I couldn't hold down the gear I brought..

Last year at the US open I beat everyone during the mass start winduro, first run and finished second behind only one skiier (Brad Gordon) second run for the snowboard win, it was a 11m day and the light wind advantages of skiis was just not there in the deeper snow. And as a long time snowboarder it was a great feeling to have betten the skiiers! The day before I got beat by Sigve Bolton (winner of the Red Bull Ragnarock), and that was my only second place finish at any contest...

I have also had a bunch of easy 50mph plus days on my old beatup AT gear, but this year the 223 down hill skiis are coming out! And this years edges are for sure the fastest kites I have flown!

I can't wait to see what happens!!!

Billy Bordy
Team Ozone

snobdr
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Dewey, Atlantic City

Postby snobdr » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:08 pm

I would think a snowboard running a switchblade on ice would be just as fast if not faster then skis being your only running on one edge

Hardwater Kiter
Frequent Poster
Style: Rough and tumble
Gear: Ram air and single skin Foil kites. Long skis to truck, short skis to huck.
Brand Affiliation: www.hardwaterkiter.com Authorized retailers of Flysurfer. Ozone, HQ kites and Gin kites.

Postby Hardwater Kiter » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:17 pm

HA! That's awesome.

Yup the old rule still holds true, "Short planks suck, long planks truck."

Sounds like the conditions were primo. I bet you're right, hard boots will pay off huge. I hear what you're saying about the hill element. It does kinda change things a little and I'm not sure where that falls. We definately don't have any hills here to play with. Bummer about not being able to download and scrub the data for the ranking. It will be good to get your entries this year. Keep it interesting!

Rocking the 223's will be sweet. Someone keeps dangling a pair of Atomic speed skis (240cm) infront of me but I don't have the room and not even close to the strength yet to bend them at all if I need to turn in a hurry. The amount of metal in those things is retarded 2x 1mm worth tip to tail so not a lot of flex.

Mighty tempting tho. :D

Looking forward to seeing you bring up the level of competetion Billy!!!! :thumb:

II have a hard time buying that the Switchblade, as awesome a job as it does, can match the ability of a solid, long radius, well tuned ski edge. It lacks the active edge and makes up for it by brute force as far as I can tell. That involves a lot of resistance generated by digging deeper. It's evident when you see the tracks. When I have a fresh edge I can hold at speed with a single ski no problem. Double edgeing enables me to get more life out of the tune than I would otherwise and allows me to spread the load more so I don't have to dig too deep and generate drag.

Kjelleren rocks it on the switchblade and skis so he would would have a more informed opinion than I do.

Return to “Snow / Land”