jumarcil
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Bozo Beach
Gear: Core xr3: 7 and 9, escape 11m 2015, leopard 9 and 11
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: HQ kites are a bad joke

Postby jumarcil » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:13 am

So you bought three kites from them on different occasions ? Me if a buy a kite from a company and that kite isn't up to my expectations I won't buy a second one. And after you've been dropped like a stone you told yourself; hey why not get one for the kid ???

I am being sarcastic but I really don't like when people bash a whole setup like that. You have a lot of people behind a Kite company: and posts like that can do a lot of damage to a company. Maybe they are not the best kites in the world but I would be very surprised that they would still be in business after a couple of years if they sold trash.

Some guys from my region have tried them a gave them some nice reviews.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:41 am

jumarcil wrote:... but I really don't like when people bash a whole setup like that.
People are entitled to their opinions and have the freedom to express them but when HQ steps up like that and there's plenty of evidence to the contrary, you can bet it's just another tantrum thrown by someone who was too lazy or stupid to figure out which line goes where.

snowkitejoe
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Montreal
Favorite Beaches: Fort de Soto
Style: freestyle
Gear: Foiled and C kite
Been thanked: 0

Postby snowkitejoe » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:08 am

Humm,
Obviously, I have hurt some kite groupies out there. My posting to any forum have been very limited and I have no intention to start up a controversy with anyone.
If you believe all kite are of equal performance, or quality, great.
I’m not sponsored by HQ, meaning I purchased the questionable kites out of my wallet. If HQ worked for you, I’m glad.
But, somewhere down the line, I expected more from HQ. And I will admit that after my morning session with my boys, having the hydra not inflating in 15 to 20 knots got me frustrated and the boys not really caring about the hydra. So, for the last time, if HQ has done the ultimate effort to market a trainer that will keep new comers to the sports satisfied, well I’m glad for them.
Thanks for your concern,
Maybe the hydra can’t deal with Canadian winters, to cold to inflate. And please, if you have any doubt about my knowledge on flying or riding, I’m sorry ….
Have fun out there !!!

snobdr
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Dewey, Atlantic City

Postby snobdr » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:47 pm

Ive messed with the hydra 350, not a bad trainer IMO. There is issues with the vents not opening from static cling when new. Have heard baby powder somtimes works for this. I personally never had a problem with this but do know it happens.
Ive had time on a few HQ kites and though they may not be my cup of tea, i though they were quality kites. I flew a neo 2 11M and it was deff a slow kite. Other then that it made tons of smooth usuable power and thought the saftey was top notch and easy to use/reset/relaunch. Had time on a montana 3 5M and had loads of fun on a mtn board. Was lighter winds but though the jumping was excelent and am sure the newer models are even better.
Local buggiers seem to like the fixed bridal models and really fly the crap out of them without issues.
On top of it all, ive met Chris from HQ and is a stand up guy. Loves what he does and stands by the product. He does what he can to make sure your happy with your HQ gear.

sarcasm
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Florida
Favorite Beaches: Kidding, right? I would prefer you not show up.

Postby sarcasm » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:47 pm

So the original poster bought THREE kites by HQ before he realized that they suck?
What seems wrong here? Unreal.
I used a buddy's HQ Beamer (3.6 I think) to kite buggy a few times. Kite seemed darn good to me.

bay surfer
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The Dam Beach
Favorite Beaches: Lake Michigan Beaches, OBX
Gear: Airush, Switch, Pansh, Kites, LF boards, Home Brewed Foils and boards

Postby bay surfer » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:33 pm

Learn to Tune your kite. Must idiots who complain about how a kite flies dont know how tune them. Twin skins all need to be tuned.

criznach
Medium Poster

Postby criznach » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:49 pm

bay surfer wrote:Twin skins all need to be tuned.
Staying neutral on the issue above, but what do you mean by tuning? Adjusting the trim strap for conditions, messing with bridles, etc? If I bought a kite where I needed to adjust the bridle for it to fly right, I'd send it back. IMHO, that's not something the end user should need to do (except maybe the flysurfer mixer test, which compensate for stretch).

Chris.

snobdr
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Dewey, Atlantic City

Postby snobdr » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:12 pm

Ill have to agree with you criz. They should fly out of the box.
Ive only flown one that didnt.

frankm1960
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: -Bayshore, at the end sea st. on saint John's west side, bay of fundy.
-Saints rest beach, at the end of sandy point road, irving nature park, saint john, west side.
Gear: Kites: 12m LF Mig, 9m LF Mig, 5m SS Fuel
Boards: LF proof 151cm, Real Wind 144cm, home made light wind board 160 x 50

Postby frankm1960 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:44 pm

I bought my HQ new and it was ready to go. I didn't have to frig with anything. Hooked up the lines as per manual and that was it. The manual was excellent, the bag was excellent etc etc. I sold the kite 3yrs later and it was still in new condition even after 3 winters of use and I had no trouble selling it at all. In hind sight I should have kept it because it was such a great kite to demo to newbies and it had enough power to be usable on snow.

PS: I think the title of this thread is grossly misleading.
But then I'm sure most can see this thread for what it is... not a very well thought out rant.

gandulfone
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Middelkerke
Favorite Beaches: Middelkerke
Style: Relaxed
Gear: waiting for new kites... probably Ozone Frenzy
Dragonshield XXL harness
Brand Affiliation: My shop sells Ozone, HQ, Flysurfer, Radsails, Scrub, MBS, Nobile, Mystic....

Postby gandulfone » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:43 pm

First of all, I sell HQ in my shop, but I'm not biased at all.

I sold quite a few hydras, never had one that flew that a rag. Some did require some tuning of the lines. Maybe it flies like shit because you blew out a cell/ or maybe there is a problem with the kite?

If you should have a problem with your kite, you should directly adress your sales point about it! They will solve your problem.

Gandulf

Return to “Snow / Land”