Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Mount Harrison in South East Idaho

Forum for snow- and landkiters
knewschool
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Big Sandy, Palisades, Mud Lake, Jackson Lake...
Favorite Beaches: Waddell Creek, Sherman Island

Snow kite spots are growing fastly and epicly.
Style: Wake, Big loops, Glides
Gear: Ozone kites, Xenon boards, Velocity Twisted, B3 Split Boards
Brand Affiliation: Ozone, Xenon, B3, Twisted
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Mount Harrison in South East Idaho

Postby knewschool » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:52 pm

I finally went to Mt Harrison yesterday, a 3.5 hr drive from Jackson near Burley Idaho. I’ve watched the stations and twisted it around on Google Earth for the last few weeks. My buddy Ted lives there and has kited around it so it wasn’t a total shot in the dark. Luckily Jacob, Tyler, and Chris were on their way home from the event in Montana and were willing to hit it up with me. It’s a sled friendly place, and Jacob’s came in useful. It’s not problem to skin, but the sled can get you in and out no problem. I think this is going to be a sweet addition for the SLC crowd when they go north to Camas, Jackson or Montana since its midway and worth a session. You park right at Pomerelle Ski Resort and are looking at about a 25 min skin to launch.
I was hoping for SE wind which is the ideal direction and was predicted on every forecast, but instead we got SW wind. At first we fought the SW wind, sort of wishing it was SE but later gave in and found it to still be fun just not the Epic SE could deliver. I was hoping for nice glides, big gaps, and steep climbs. But instead we had some tricky tree mazes and your normal drifts and rocks to jib around. Another foot of snow would open up some west wind gliding but SW being the predominant direction the snow is blown on lots of that terrain which would otherwise be amazing. I had to throw down some quick pics since my battery was blinking from the first shot till it died. Tyler cruised around at the end with the cool lighting while the rest of us were beat so I threw down some photos there. Cheers! - Will
Attachments
MT H.jpg
MT H (1).jpg
MT H (2).jpg
MT H (3).jpg
MT H (4).jpg
MT H (5).jpg
MT H (6).jpg
MT H (7).jpg
MT H (8).jpg
Last edited by knewschool on Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

waynepjh
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone edges and c4
Brand Affiliation: Ozone team rider

Re: Mount Harrison in South East Idaho

Postby waynepjh » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:09 pm

Nice shots will! That place looks like it would be sweet. Especialy with the se catabatic flow!!

Jacob Buzianis
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby Jacob Buzianis » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:08 pm

Will-So stoked that we got to hit together.

I have been meaning to hit that mountain for so long. I remember snowboarding there 10 yrs ago. It was always windy up there.

The pics you are seeing is only 25 % of it. I did some exploring on sled before it got dark farther out West. Oh, man! you won't believe what I saw out there. There more terrains to hit out there. Can't wait hit it again soon.

It only took me 2 1/2 hrs to get home from there.

Noahpz
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Big mtn snowkiting w/ lots of freestyle
Gear: Ozone Hyperlink V3 - 7,9,11,13. Ozone Chrono EXP 15m.
Brand Affiliation: Ozone

Postby Noahpz » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:51 pm

Another great kite destination! I took a look at the topo for the area - vast! Especially to the west!

See ya out there,

Noah

Return to “Snow / Land”