poet
Rare Poster
Gear: FS
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Snowkiting question

Postby poet » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:03 pm

I'm switching from board to skis (need the extra traction on ice -- main kiting spot is a frozen lake), and I am trying to figure out the best setup. Alpine boots give great stability, but are shiite for hiking through the woods. Does anyone use AT boots? How about a backcountry setup?

Thanks.

lewmt
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mtns

Re: Snowkiting question

Postby lewmt » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:38 pm

AT gear is the only way to go. Postholing sucks even in moderately deep snow(ankle - shin) if you have anything on your back. Makes the options much more wide open also ie. you know there's this great field of snow 2 miles away but have no snowmobile - just skin out to it - also keeps you from worry if the wind dumps after you've kited 3 miles from your start point - no biggy, just skin back.

rvrrat
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Garrett County Md.
Favorite Beaches: Sinks of Gandy WVa, Snowmesa Co, Centennial Valley Mt
Style: Telemark Ski
Gear: Ozone foils
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby rvrrat » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:11 am

Backcountry. That is the key word here. We are playing in the backcountry. There is no better weapon for the Backcountry then AT or Telemark of course. Free the heel and free the mind. Snowboards are cool for sure. But better carry some snowshoes just in case. My Tele skiis never leave my feet from the time I leave until I get back. Pays off when you are wallowin' around in the deep stuff. JR

Billy B.
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Strawberry, Big Bad UT Lake, Rush mudpuddle.
DC
Favorite Beaches: Strawberry, Rufus,, Hampton NH. San Diego lite wind ninja shit.
Style: Learning,... as in I am still learning.
Gear: 2014 north gear

All of it
North and Race boards
North twin tip and directional yummyness.
Surfboard and strapless play stuff.
Brand Affiliation: I am a North snowkite athlete.

Postby Billy B. » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:38 am

lewmt wrote:AT gear is the only way to go. Postholing sucks even in moderately deep snow(ankle - shin) if you have anything on your back. Makes the options much more wide open also ie. you know there's this great field of snow 2 miles away but have no snowmobile - just skin out to it - also keeps you from worry if the wind dumps after you've kited 3 miles from your start point - no biggy, just skin back.
+1....... :thumb: AT gear rules..

j z
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Montana, USA
Style: Hangin' on.
Gear: Flysurfer Psycho4 Deluxe.

Postby j z » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:04 am

I use Dynafit boots, skis, and bindings. Manislu twin-tip skis which are pre-drilled for the bindings similar to a snowboard. The ZZeus boots have a nice walk mode, good for rigging up. The entire setup is super light and great for boosts. I use a set of kicker skins to get around. I highly recommend a dynafit setup for snowkiting!

poet
Rare Poster
Gear: FS

Postby poet » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:07 pm

Thanks everyone. I'm looking into the Alpine Trekker touring adapter (snaps into the regular alpine bindings to free the heel). This will let me use my current gear. Anybody used them before?

crabnebula
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: mount washington nh
Favorite Beaches: Skyline, Utah
Style: in the air spinning
Gear: Ikon, TOBE, Julbo
Brand Affiliation: Ikon Kiteboarding, TOBE, Julbo

Postby crabnebula » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:56 am

HI here is my 2 cents

AT gear is the way to go if you are going to be far from things that provide comfort.

I have a couple sets of Diamir Fritche Freerides 2010 models and a new pair of the 2011 freeride SUPER nice for kiting
I have been on the AT stuff from the beginning. (skis anyways)

the three buckle boots can be a great added bonus for softer landing in freestyle and four buckle are good for anything (speed runs mountain days etc...)

Dyna-fit I found were tough to work with as they were a little slow clicking in when there is a kite pulling on you and there is ice and snow stuck in the heal click area

in the end they are all AWESOME

BE CAREFUL with the Alpine treckers as they are HIGHER than a normal AT binding and dont work well at all if you have some small downhills when your heal is up....

otherwise a nice alternative to the alpine heavy-ness

have fun!

jules46
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Beaverton, ON, CAN
Gear: Spleene Monster Door 164 x 50
Best Float 133 x 42
Best Waroo 9, Bularoo 13
Cabrinha Contra 14

Postby jules46 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:53 pm

I use the "Alpine Trekker touring adapter" to get to where I want to snowkite - then take em off and click into my regular downhill bindings - I dont think they are designed for alot of lateral pressure - but work fine for their intended design (light AT)

They are really easy to get on and off - I just toss em in the kitebag, go kiting, then put em back on to get home.

I dont even use skins - (just trekking less than 1K from my front door to where I kite on a small lake north of Toronto.

enjoy

matthepp
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: RMP
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
Kino Bay
Red Mountain Pass
Style: Rich
Gear: OR Flite 15m
OR Razor 12m
OR Prodigy 7m 9.5m
BD Carbon Megawatts
Slingshot Dwarfcraft/ Gamma 68
Brand Affiliation: Alpine Edge Engineering

Postby matthepp » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:37 am

Agreed: AT. Don't bother with tele. Lock yer heel and ski fer real. I also have a pair of used alpine skis (cheaper than AT bindings) that are a great way to park and ride without trashing your lightweight powder skis. Save those for the skin up to treeline. I use 1 pair comfortable AT boots for everything.

waynepjh
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone edges and c4
Brand Affiliation: Ozone team rider

Postby waynepjh » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:13 pm

Stay away from tele and alpine treckkers! I have used dynafit for almost 15 years and they work great! the marker touring bindings and fritchi both work great aswell. dont worry about the support you think you need from an alpine boot get a light touring setup and you will be happy for a long time. I personally ride the dynafit din to 12 binding, dynafit titan boot and a 188 k2 sidestash! For me its the best setup to have this year. I have been a ski tuner in jh for 19 years and have worked with all the touring bindings the ones I mentioned are the most reliable. treckkers are the cheapest way to go if you have no money but the worst way to go. IMO wayne!

drop your knee squat to pee!;)
http://www.vimeo.com/18835141

Return to “Snow / Land”