Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

which skis do you use for snowkiting?

Forum for snow- and landkiters
robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: which skis do you use for snowkiting?

Postby robertovillate » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:16 am

JR,

Sounds like you're hitting some nice spots out there.

Thanks for more insights on the Lightnings. The return to an all wood ski is appealing in a lot of ways: performance, the aesthetic, and going "green".

Any opinion on boot/binding combos? I'm just a little heavier than you.

Let it snow - and blow!
:thumb:

rvrrat
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Garrett County Md.
Favorite Beaches: Sinks of Gandy WVa, Snowmesa Co, Centennial Valley Mt
Style: Telemark Ski
Gear: Ozone foils
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby rvrrat » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:52 am

:jump: I am a full blown Tele guy on lite gear. Not for the faint at heart. I use a T-2 Scarpa boot and the older Rotefella Chili binding. One of the first Tele bindings to use a full steel plate across the toe. I like a small 10mm plate under the binding. All the new Tele bindings you get today have a tall plate. BLAH! I want to be closer to my ski. JR

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster

Postby robertovillate » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:55 pm

rvrrat wrote::jump: I am a full blown Tele guy on lite gear. Not for the faint at heart. I use a T-2 Scarpa boot and the older Rotefella Chili binding. One of the first Tele bindings to use a full steel plate across the toe. I like a small 10mm plate under the binding. All the new Tele bindings you get today have a tall plate. BLAH! I want to be closer to my ski. JR
I fully appreciate the "closer to my ski" desire. That's been one of my concerns with the AT bindings that seem to be quite elevated off the deck.

JR, Sorry if this is a dumb question, but are you doing tele turns under kite power/going downhill - or are you skiing it alpine style (keeping your heel on the ski)?

I used to do a lot of Tele skiing when I lived out in CO and could keep up pretty well with my friends on their alpine gear, even in the bumps. But we we don't have a lot of good tele style opportunities here in MI. So...I am thinking something more versatile, plus some boot/binding that is good for modest airs.

Most spots we ride here are either big flat lakes, some gently rolling farm fields, and some lakefront dunes (Lake Michigan)...the daily choice all depending on wind direction and snow coverage/ice thickness, etc. We don't really have the wide blue yonder spaces, or the steep and deep conditions, that you have out there, so I'm thinking a full tele setup might not be the ticket. I completely understand that each system has compromises/benefits/disadvantages...and I suppose it's nice to have a few different setups (and I may have to do just that).

But I think I'll probably try the AT binding and semi soft boot if I can find the right combo. The T-2 boot looks good. I wonder if they are compatible with AT bindings?

So still trying to educate myself to what's out there and start looking for some used gear for next season. Still interested in any opinions/feedback on the boot/binding issue in the AT category.

cheers for the input

rvrrat
Frequent Poster

Postby rvrrat » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:01 am

:P Not a dumb question at all man. I mix it up between droppin' a knee or not. Same as I would skiin' gravity. You will find that a tele turn holds the kite real well. I will stand up and parallel for the long cruise. Then it feels real good to drop a knee and haul ass on a tack. If you have spent time Tele skiin' I encourage you to give it a try on your kite. I am riding in Western Md, Northern WVa and Southwestern Pa on a mix of terrain and frozen lakes. Sounds like real similar to what you are riding. And to answer your question about the T-2. It is a Tele specific boot. JR

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster

Postby robertovillate » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:13 am

JR,

Naive of me to assume you were out West. Yeah, you have some good size mtns in your neck of the woods, much more elevation than anything in MI. It always amazes me how long some of the hills are when I drive East. Glad you are getting some good dumps out there - it's been a great snow year for the East Coast!

Well, now you have me thinking more about the tele setup. I saw some Scarpa T-2 for $100 at Sierra Trading Post. They may not be the latest version, but that seems like a sweet deal.

decisions, decisions.....

thanks again for all your input!

Roberto

ps...looks like another big winter storm heading this way on Tuesday...maybe will hit you guys Wednesday?

rvrrat
Frequent Poster

Postby rvrrat » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:00 am

:naughty: A hundred dollars for a pair of T-2's. I better take a look at that. GREAT price! JR

Vin Stefanelli
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone Frenzy
Naish Shockwave

Postby Vin Stefanelli » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:50 am

if you are confronted with glare ice
or only a minimal cover of snow keep skiblades handy,
99cm's or less,...
you will have fun!

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster

Postby robertovillate » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:55 am

Vin Stefanelli wrote:if you are confronted with glare ice
or only a minimal cover of snow keep skiblades handy,
99cm's or less,...
you will have fun!
Those skiblades look interesting. But when we have good glare ice like that we bring out the iceboats...40-60+ kts boatspeed in 15-20 kts wind.

When the ice gets covered with more than an inch of snow we put the boats away and bring out the kites and skis.

So far I'm concluding that a pair of 130-140cm shaped/metal edge skis for the hardpack/thin snow cover and a pair of the Lightning boards for the soft stuff & back-country adventures - both with bindings compatible with the same AT boot perhaps.

Part of the objective with either setup is to be able to ski-in/ski-out from back-country, big lakes or big fields if the wind dies, gear failure, etc. Nothing worse than walking for miles with ski boots and ski gear/snowboard, etc..thru the deep snow, or even on the ice. Being able to ski-tour out of the situation would be awesome. Plus it adds a whole new dimension and lots of possibilities to winter fun.

We're even thinking about cacheing pumps and misc items with GPS coords so we can go overland from one spot to another.

rvrrat wrote::naughty: A hundred dollars for a pair of T-2's. I better take a look at that. GREAT price! JR
sorry for the false alarm on the T-2's, looks like they sold out quickly. I was going to jump on a pair...oh well.

Hardwater Kiter
Frequent Poster
Style: Rough and tumble
Gear: Ram air and single skin Foil kites. Long skis to truck, short skis to huck.
Brand Affiliation: www.hardwaterkiter.com Authorized retailers of Flysurfer. Ozone, HQ kites and Gin kites.

Postby Hardwater Kiter » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:19 am

I never understand the attraction of "Shaped" skis for kiting. Are you doing a lot of carving? if not less side cut will equate to better active edge without the tendency of the ski to carve up wind.

For hard ice, thin snow conditions we ride skis that have no less than a 30m sidecut. Just lock it in and cruise.

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster

Postby robertovillate » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:39 am

Hardwater Kiter wrote:I never understand the attraction of "Shaped" skis for kiting. Are you doing a lot of carving? if not less side cut will equate to better active edge without the tendency of the ski to carve up wind.

For hard ice, thin snow conditions we ride skis that have no less than a 30m sidecut. Just lock it in and cruise.
I understand what you are saying, and agree for the most part. But I find that a straighter ski needs to be longer than a shaped skit to get the same amount of edge when I want it. So I'm not really looking for a super sidecut shaped ski, but something more than the old heavy longboards I've been riding. Maybe something like a modern GS ski??

So the other thing I am after is reducing the weight of the skis with a shorter ski, and getting a little more edge control with a little more sidecut (not huge sidecut). But I am all ears and open to ideas and suggestions, and other peoples experiences. In the end a lot probably depends on personal preference. So I'll probably end up with a whole variety of boards to play with... :-? just like the search for the one kite/one board quiver...not always realistic.

Seems like every day we ride the conditions are a little different and one setup will work better than another. I've been switching back and forth between skis and snowboard, but ultimately I would rather use skis. I come from a ski background, and although I like snowboarding, I prefer to have independent feet...and the only time I like the snowboard better is in the crusty, mash potatoes that might be tough with skis - not wanting to do the lickety splits with skis. :shake:

But it's all good...I love trying different tools and enjoy how each works a little differently.

Return to “Snow / Land”