All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Ozone Manta / Frenzy 2011-2012?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:15 am 
Rare Poster

Saving up for my next kite. I was wondering if anyone knows if there is an upgrade to the Manta or Frenzy line planned for 2011-2012 winter season? I've got the 2011 Access XT 10m and bar, was thinking about purchasing either the Manta or the Frenzy in a few months as a second kite. (Maybe save some money by re-using the bar I already have.)

I'm limited to kiting only on weekends on a bunch of lakes, and wind is what it is, tends to be towards the low to none side. (5 to 10 mph most days with the occasional 15 to 20 mph day.)

So I need another kite of a larger size. Most times I've been out the wind speed was not high enough to really enjoy the Access, ended up packing it in early most days or having to really work it. (I bought it to learn on, and learned a lot!) I weigh about 185 pounds and use fat skis, midwest snow, heavy and shallow.

I'm not really into jumping and getting big airs, I'd just like to cruise around and take in the scenery etc... Upwind performance is something I need because lake access points are not always compatible with the wind direction and a few times I've had to skin across the lakes to get
back to my car.

So should I be looking at a Frenzy or a Manta? From what I've read the Frenzy is able to produce more instantaneous power for popping jumps while the Manta has a lot more sustained pull. So I'm thinking I'd be better of with a 12m or 15m Manta for my desires and conditions. (Then again I hear the Manta will be discontinued...)

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Ozone Manta / Frenzy 2011-2012?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:22 am 
Very Frequent Poster

yes alas the manta is no more. but you may be able to get a 2011 manta's.

Manta's are better upwind, go faster (board speed) and have less pop and more glide. but they are harder to extract the goodness. they are not a park and ride kite like the frenzy.

Frenzy is lower aspect than manta. It is a park and ride style kite which is very easy to fly and jump. its quicker turning too.

for 5-10 knot winds you want to find a 15m manta that bad boy pulls like a train. I can landboard in 3 knots on it.

ps sell the access and get a 10m manta and 7m frenzy. or 9 and 7 frenzy combo.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:06 pm 
Rare Poster

Thanks for the help.

Since the Manta is no more I'm thinking maybe the Frenzy 11 or 13m

I think I'm going to keep my Access as a depower trainer kite for friends who want to try it or for those odd days where the wind is actually decent. It treated me very well when learning.

I did find some info on the new line here:
http://www.extremekites.com.au/news/land-kiting/168-ozone-2012-frenzy-and-access-photos.html

I looks like the only major change is the bar, with the depower clamcleat changed and the primary safety moved under the bar? Any idea if the 2011 bar will be compatible with the 2012 kite?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:59 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

get the 13m frenzy for light wind and the 9m for intermediate wind.

if you can't afford 2 kites then get the 11m. i'd still axe the access and then go fo the 2 kite quiver.you will also be able to teach your mates on the 9 frenzy in light winds.

for 2012 they have gone to a single line flag out system. this is what they have needed to do for 5 years. The re-ride system is great in lighter winds but try to safely solo land a big frenzy/accesa/manta in high wind is very difficult. The new system will make it very easy.

So.... get the 2012 if you can afford. Always buy foils with bar and lines included. that way you can just unrole and fly!!! no need to change lines.

[ 4 posts ]