Forum for snow- and landkiters
ShredMasterPlus
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Questions about Getting Started Snow Kitting

Postby ShredMasterPlus » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:10 pm

Hi, this is my first post here and first Kite forum that I have joined. I am an avid downhill skiier and am fairly good at it. Love hitting cliffs and done a little bit of park riding. I'm currently stuck in Onterrible(Ontario) and am looking at spending the majority of the winter here.

I have been interested in kite sports for quite some time but really have just had nowhere to get started. None of my friends around here do it and I have only seen maybe 3 or 4 people out on the water throughout the summer. But of those 3 or 4 people they looked like they were having a BLAST.

I have no kite experience what so ever but as mentioned above have lots of skiing experience. I have just purchased a pair of k2 obsethed ski's, I am 150pounds, 5feet 6inches 20years old and looking to tear it up this winter. My area to be riding will be on frozen Lake Huron and many open fields all around where I live. Everything is pretty much flat with very few hills. I would like it if i could get a kite that would be easy to learn the basics with but still be able to go humm around a little bit. Should I go straight to a 6-9m kite or start with something really small just to get the hang of it?. I'm sorry for knowing absolutely nothing but I gotta start somewhere. Anyways i'm looking for suggestions on equipment and maybe if anyone knows anywhere that offers lessons in the winter in southwestern ontario(I'm located in Sarnia Ontario) that would be awesome. Thanks alot for all your help guys n get ur shred on

irwe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Keswick
Favorite Beaches: Choche
South Padre Island
Silver Rock
Bahia Salinas
Style: Allaround
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Slingshot
Spleen
Axis
Best
Shinn
TKF
ConceptAir
Zeeko

Re: Questions about Getting Started Snow Kitting

Postby irwe » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:39 pm

Welcome to Ontario!
You need to start off with a trainer kite 2.5 - 3.5 m to learn to fly now before the snow comes.
My favourite trainer kite is the HQ Hydra 3.5 because you can use it on land and water for training.
I believe it is available from www.boardsports.ca and www.silentsports.com in Ontario.
Look for lessons on www.thechickenloop.com
Look for kite spots on www.localkitespots.com

Billy B.
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Strawberry, Big Bad UT Lake, Rush mudpuddle.
DC
Favorite Beaches: Strawberry, Rufus,, Hampton NH. San Diego lite wind ninja shit.
Style: Learning,... as in I am still learning.
Gear: 2014 north gear

All of it
North and Race boards
North twin tip and directional yummyness.
Surfboard and strapless play stuff.
Brand Affiliation: I am a North snowkite athlete.

Postby Billy B. » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:48 pm

FInd a kite school around your area. Then you can use/beat up their gear. During lessons you will learn all of the safety aspects of our sport, as well as what kite sizes work best in your area.

If you can't wait and want to learn to fly a kite buy a three line trainer kite, in a 2-3 meter size. The third line is the saftey and will allow you to let go of the kite so you do not get dragged. This is a dangerous sport and has nothing to do with what type of skiier you are, it is all about how you learn to control the kite and what to do when things go wroung. there are saftey systems and rules of the road you need to know. The lesson is more of a course to make you a safe kiter welcomed by you local community.

I was a professional snowboard for almost 20 years before learning to kite, sure my board skills helped once I learned to fly the kite but it took lots of practice to be a good kite flyer. Now I am a pro kiter, but it was lessons and help from other kiters that made it happen,safely...

I live in a spot were snowkiting is huge, we watch people try to teach themselves, they almost always get hurt, plus it takes them alot longer to learn then the students who figure it out in a day or two. I watched on guy break some fingers then a wrist, then mess up his knee(ACL repair) over a three month period, he had to have surgery and never learned to kite. His wife took lessons, learned to kite safely and still rides all the time while her hysband sits at home watching foot ball and only playing golf.....

Snowkiting is the sickest sport ever good luck learning to kite!! take a lesson learn fast and be out ther ripping it up soon and safe!!!

dandre
Rare Poster

Postby dandre » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:56 pm

I would try to pick up one used (new trainers can cost as much as 300 bucks, you can buy a used 9/12m inflatable for that much!).

Best place to ask is probably www.powerkiteforum.com in the wanted section. You should be able to score one for under 100 bucks if the market is good(changes all the time). I'd go 3m.

I scored a prism p3 for 40 bucks on sierra trading post a year ago; maybe some are still floating around on the internet. try to get something with a bar, but don't be too picky. The trainer is really just to teach you how kites move through the wind window, and some basics on power.

I'll leave other people to make recommendations, I always proscribe too much kite. I will say it's a wallet heavy sport as you're breaking in. You can cut corners and go too big too soon, but it's probably just a matter of WHEN you're going to get hurt. I got ROCKED early on, and that taught me some valuable lessons about modesty. I still lovelovelovelovelove to kite, but my progress is probably slower because I didn't have lessons. like, I just learned to effectively loop my kite without killing myself; and I'm STILL too heavy on bar pressure after turns/jumping.

Still, it is something you can learn on your own if you're patient. Expect to spend atleast 800 bucks/ 2-3 months before you're cruising on your first larger kite, and thats probably just for starters.

Try to buy used until you're intermediate/advanced, you'll save so much money, and you can score some SICK deals if your timing is right. Without lessons you're just gonna beat the crap out of your first kite anyway.

GL. You're on the right track
Daniel

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:28 pm

Get a 3M trainer. That is small enough to be safe while you learn, but large enough to pull you around on the snow until you get a larger kite.

Something in that size will run you $150-$250 new, but you can also find them used on ikitesurf.com or ebay. It won't break the bank. If you are going to be solo, get one with a third line for relaunch, but any 2 line trainer will also work fine for you. Eventually you won't be crashing it as much.

I just looked some up for a friend so had these links handy;

Good info on trainers;
http://www.kitemare.com/trainer-kites.htm

You can get this Rush III 300 Pro for $218 which has the 3rd line;
http://www.kitemare.com/hq-rush-3-pro.htm
Or for $180 get the 2 line version;
http://www.kitemare.com/hq-rush-3-standard.htm

Here is a 3M Best package that includes a learning DVD for $199.
http://www.kitemare.com/best-trainer-kite.htm

Or, you can get this 3M Slingshot one which includes a professionally made 5 DVD instructional series. So, you don't just learn how to fly the trainer, but it will help you out a lot when you move to larger kites. For $249 for the 3M, not a bad deal (but I'd add the 3rd line option which it accomodates);
http://www.realwatersports.com/real-sma ... t-packages

ShredMasterPlus
Rare Poster

Postby ShredMasterPlus » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:48 pm

Thanks so much guys, 4 extremly helpful posts. Just got me extremely siked. Definately going to get a trainer kite to start up i imagine that will be fun the play with and so true i don't wanna buy something awesome and destroy it just by being a newb. Thanks alot guys i'll prolly have more questions in the next couple of weeks. Woooooooooo

Shoe
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Lake Champlain
Gear: RRD Obsession 13.5
RRD Obsession 9.5
RRD Emotion 10

Postby Shoe » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:39 pm

Welcome to the forum! I am in North East New York and started last winter. My recommendation for you is to contact Brian Ready at Kite Culture: http://www.kite-culture.com/ He is very informative and helpful. I would have taken a lesson from him last year, but he is too away for me. This is not the case for you!

Another great asset for you if you can swing it is the Tug Hill Snowkite Rally January 14-16 http://lewiscountyrecreation.com/depart ... kiting.htm This will be a great way to meet kiters from all over, get a lesson from Zeb from International Mountain Climbing School(arguably one of the best instructors around), and discuss options with real folks about what they like and don't like, etc.

Everyone has a preference on which kite is best. My suggestion is do a lot of research, talk to fellow kiters in your area, and find out what a reasonable size is to fly for your average conditions. Some speculate that trainers are no good once you get the hang of it, but I still fly mine in parks every couple days(sketchy wind around here and no frozen lakes to shred yet).

Once again, welcome!

Joe

g-force junkie
Rare Poster
Local Beach: no beaches just big mountains covered in snow
Style: kiteskiing
Gear: Naish x3 17
Naish areo 2 14
Naish ar5 9.5
Naish arx 9.5
Rrd lupe 7 12
Cabrihna blacktip 7
Cabrihna co2
Mosquito pro ks 5.5
Head mojo 90 twin tips
Head racing skis

Postby g-force junkie » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:42 am

shredmaster
billy b nailed it for you, take his advise to heart and you will probably be ripping it on your first lesson or struggle on your own and suffer the hard knocks.

dandre
Rare Poster

Postby dandre » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:54 pm

g-force junkie wrote:shredmaster
billy b nailed it for you, take his advise to heart and you will probably be ripping it on your first lesson or struggle on your own and suffer the hard knocks.
whats wrong with hard knocks :naughty:
lol

Once your kite skills are improving, and you move on the 9m+ bracket, you should check out "how to snowkite". It's one of the coolest kite related dvds I've ever seen. We're talkin 3d animations, and BEAUTIFUL explanations/tutorials.

GLGL

dandre
Rare Poster

Postby dandre » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:47 pm

BTW powerkite forum has a 2.3 Radsail trainer for 100 wing-wangs

http://www.powerkiteforum.com/viewthread.php?tid=6587

Return to “Snow / Land”