Rare Poster
Local Beach: Wisconsin, USA
Style: Blades, Skis, Buggy
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Jackson Hole Advice - Pilots and Instructors

Postby THanson » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:15 am

Looking for pilots and instructors in Jackson Hole area. I have a nephew in JH and want to plan a trip to snow kite and take some lessons.

About me... I am fairly new to this forum. I'm active in others. I am from WI, an intermediate pilot, and I blade, ski and buggy. :bye:

Thanks in advance!

knewschool
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Big Sandy, Palisades, Mud Lake, Jackson Lake...
Favorite Beaches: Waddell Creek, Sherman Island

Snow kite spots are growing fastly and epicly.
Style: Wake, Big loops, Glides
Gear: Ozone kites, Xenon boards, Velocity Twisted, B3 Split Boards
Brand Affiliation: Ozone, Xenon, B3, Twisted

Re: Jackson Hole Advice - Pilots and Instructors

Postby knewschool » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:10 pm

My advice for your nephew is to get him on the Jackson Hole Kiter's on Facebook and bug Chaz at Hoback Sports. Tell him to get a post up there on FB and bug Chaz asking for some instruction. A number of us can help and Wayne has lots of teaching experience. Email Wayne here...waynejphillips@hotmail.com. He tought me and I feel I learned safe, smart, and fast.

The sooner we can get a trainer in his hands and looking for his own wind on the net the better. If he wants to get started right away, go buy an Ozone Imp at Hoback right now and fly it at the High School...it's windy! All we need to do is give him a quick overview lesson about wind, safety, and strategy with an Ozone Imp and set him on his own to master it. Then after he's killing that on foot in fields we'll let him borrow an Ozone 7.5 Frenzy or something for the same things but to help him understand the power difference. If he's into it he'll need to find his own kite and start carpooling with us when appropriate.

Unfortunately the best Jackson areas are difficult for beginners, but if he's willing he can come struggle at the harder spots, and try to hit the catabatic wind at Ririe (the best place to learn) when it's up he'll be good to go.

As for you, just bring your kites and some good skis. Facebook us to let us know when your comming and we'll try to get you out there. You probably have good experience with the blades and buggies and just need to be in the right place at the right time to have a good first session.

Cheers,
-Will

tetonkiter
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Teton Valley, Idaho

Outer Banks, NC
Style: powder, waves
Gear: Cabrinha, HQ
Brand Affiliation: Teton Kiting llc.

Postby tetonkiter » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:24 pm

Hello, the Jackson area is a great place to learn to kite, with the Idaho side of the Tetons being a bit more beginner friendly. Drive times usually take less than an hour to the more accessible spots.....If you would like formal instruction I offer lessons and can provide all trainer kites as well as 4-line kites in foils and/or LEI's, just contact me at Tetonkiting@gmail.com. Hooking up with locals is always a great way to learn the area as well...cheers and good luck!

THanson
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Wisconsin, USA
Style: Blades, Skis, Buggy
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby THanson » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:54 am

Thanks for the help, gents.

I am thinking a 2m to 3m foil for my nephew to get him going... and hooked. Hmmm, Christmas is coming.

It's great to know there are plenty of spots in JH area. I just need to pick some dates and try to get something scheduled.

waynepjh
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone edges and c4
Brand Affiliation: Ozone team rider

Postby waynepjh » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:39 pm

Teton Kiter? Awesome that you are teaching lessons! Where is your permited area for teaching? I get a lot of calls for lessons but I can't teach because it costs way to much to get a permit, over 40,000 dollars. Do you have a website or facebook page I could refer people too.

tetonkiter
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Teton Valley, Idaho

Outer Banks, NC
Style: powder, waves
Gear: Cabrinha, HQ
Brand Affiliation: Teton Kiting llc.

Postby tetonkiter » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:03 pm

Hi Wayne, good to hear from you and thanks for the interest. I've actually been meaning to get in touch with you about a couple different projects I'm working on that might interest you....will send an email regarding. I travel quite a bit during the winter season and often work in different locations under other permitted operations, but with my own clients. As for the Teton area, all lessons are conducted on private property thus avoiding any commercial permitting for use of public lands. Unfortunately, permits are just one of the large capital outlays for any school. My schedule generally only allows for a handful of lessons here in Teton Valley each season, and those are almost always by referral, but if you have folks that need formal instruction I may be able to help. I also have a mountain house rental here in Teton Valley available to kiters and centrally located at the base of Pine Cr. pass.... I do not maintain any website or social media at this point but can be reached at tetonkiting@gmail.com. I am a fan of your fb page though, love the recent stuff from the Bighorns, rock on! Should be another great season, cheers. - Willie

Return to “Snow / Land”