Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Winter Rhythm

Forum for snow- and landkiters
Noahpz
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Big mtn snowkiting w/ lots of freestyle
Gear: Ozone Hyperlink V3 - 7,9,11,13. Ozone Chrono EXP 15m.
Brand Affiliation: Ozone
Has thanked: 0

Winter Rhythm

Postby Noahpz » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:53 pm

What does it take for you to feel the cadence of winter? For snowkiters in the northern Rockies I think I know just what it takes to feel that rhythm. It takes powder snow, smooth wind, endless sessions with friends and no pause button. Drive to another kite spot and repeat the next day. If I don’t feel that tempo, my winter is not complete. For the past three weeks, it has been close to a perfect beat. My truck’s gas bill is hitting 8 C notes a month; I know I’m in the swing of things.

Winter Solstice: The shortest day of the year delivered another high wind session. Winds were 30mph with gusts to 40 at Raynolds Pass and at The Wave in Island Park. With close to a foot of fresh cold powder it was another day to mark the cadence of winter. For me, having day after day of kiting, a little Nordic XC, some ice kiting for diversion and an occasional recovery day is what makes for contentment.

Demos: Ozone Access and Frenzy kites are everywhere I go and for most kite days I have persuaded someone to put one of these kites into the sky and go for a session. Every kiter who has taken one of this year’s kites out has come back happy. Here’s a few comments from the past couple weeks: “Speed: This kite is fast! Controlled and precise. Light bar pressure. The kite gave me lots of time before I needed to redirect. Handles smoothly. Loops fast! Holds its shape amazingly...” What I am not able to put to words is the smiles that these kiters have while out ripping soft snow with these superb kites. If you are in Montana, Idaho or Wyoming, be sure to hook up with me in the next few weeks.

Weather Forecast: The jet stream is delivering the goods. We have wind and more wind for the next week of weather models. It has been like that all over Montana. Yeah, a little driving to get to the next windy spot, but it’s on and with the last storm, the snowpack is starting to get deep. Another dump or two and bye-bye sagebrush until May.

So for all the kiters who are making New Year’s plans, drive safe, keep your cooler stocked and see ya out there!

Noah
Attachments
Diggin Trenches.jpg
Archer Blowin Cold Smoke.jpg
Feelin It.jpg
Noah Powered.jpg
Floating on the 9m.jpg
Idaho Powder.jpg
Rippin Wind Lips.jpg

rvrrat
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Garrett County Md.
Favorite Beaches: Sinks of Gandy WVa, Snowmesa Co, Centennial Valley Mt
Style: Telemark Ski
Gear: Ozone foils
Brand Affiliation: none
Been thanked: 0

Re: Winter Rhythm

Postby rvrrat » Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:09 am

Yeah man, It is time for me to get my cadence on. I need some of that Northern Rocky Mt. Rhythm. The forecast looks great. Thanks for the invite. I'll be out before New Years. See Ya! JR

rvrrat
Frequent Poster

Postby rvrrat » Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:01 am

:lol: Howdy Noah, Got all my gear loaded up and the machine on the truck. Lookin' to be in Sheridan Wyoming by Wed. nite. I would love to get a session in the Big Horns on my way to Bozeman on Thurs. and then out your way for New Years. Let's chase some snow and wind! Any one interested in hookin' up with me on Thurs? I think I'm ready! JR
Attachments
Home 12-11 055.jpg
Home 12-11 049.jpg
Home 12-11 048.jpg

Noahpz
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Noahpz » Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:06 pm

Locked and loaded, and heading to the Rockies 'Rat. That's riding in style.

I planted myself in Island Park for the week and am getting the goods: 20mph winds and snowing. Freshies for all!

There is a growing crew of kiters here and it's getting wild. I'm not one to post a weather forecast but the models are lining up for a big one in IP and the nearby mountains. I'm talking feet of new snow by weeks end.... Stay tuned!

Noah

rvrrat
Frequent Poster

Postby rvrrat » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:22 pm

:o OH MY. Maybe I should beat feet for Idaho. I can hit the Big Horns on my way back east. JR

Noahpz
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Noahpz » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:04 pm

Wind and snow in Island Park. Here's a couple photos from Tuesday: Dan giving the 2012 Ozone Frenzy a spin.
Dan Fisher 13m Frenzy.jpg
Bob Flying Hi on 13m Ozone Edge.
Bob 13m Edge.jpg
Sunset at Raynolds Pass.
Attachments
Chasing Wind At Raynolds Pass.jpg

rvrrat
Frequent Poster

Postby rvrrat » Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:20 am

:naughty: Looks like a good lookin' crew you got there. The only thing missin' is me. And probably a couple hundred other snowkiters that would like to be there! Gettin' close. Smooth sailin' thru South Dakota today. Looks like nukin' conditions for Thurs. into Fri. West winds are eatin' up my fuel. See ya soon. JR

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby robertovillate » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:37 am

Man oh man, all you guys look ready for a full scale assault on the Rocky Mtn POW!
(We're sitting here with no snow and I'm a little jealous.. :cool2: )

Safe travels and happy kiting!!!

Return to “Snow / Land”