SaulOhio
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mentor Headlands
Edgewater
Conneaut harbor
Fairport Harbor
Simms Park
Favorite Beaches: Kite Point in the Outer Banks
Gear: Slingshot Turbines, RPMs and SSTs.
Slingshot Misfit 132, Glide.
Home built hydrofoils.
Ozone R1's, 17M, 13M, 10M, 7M
Brand Affiliation: None

Michigan?

Postby SaulOhio » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:53 pm

Looks like my usual ice and snow kiting spots here near lake Erie aren't going to work this winter. Presque isle and Sandusky Bay aren't going to freeze over well enough. So I'm planning on taking at least one long weekend up to the Traverse City area.

Anybody have any good reports on ice conditions up there? Lake Leelanau or Elk Lake? Or some of the sand dune areas up there? Or anyplace with enough open area and snow to kite.

I'd really like to be able to meet up with someone up there to kite with, too.

Saul

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: Michigan?

Postby edt » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:36 pm

All the snow in the lower peninsula got melted by the rain none of the dunes are ridable pure sand, ice is sketch everywhere in the lower peninsula, lakes are frozen over but with either skim 1 or 2 inch ice or holes in the middle. You have to know how deep each lake is, and where the pressure cracks normally form. I'm thinking of putting my wetsuit on under my jacket and pants and going out better than nothing right? I've been reading the ice fishing forums compulsively and a lot of their gear is sitting on the bottom of the lakes right now. I've kited out a few times here in southeast michigan and hear people have kited around traverse city. I haven't fallen through yet but had to stay so close to shore it's not been very fun.

Saul how is Lake Erie? Maybe I'll pull my wetsuit out of storage and visit you. The weather keeps giving us these 50F days.

I think anyone who runs a snowmobile shop is gonna go bankrupt after this winter. And without any snow built up, all of Texas is gonna burn come this summer.

SaulOhio
Frequent Poster
Edgewater
Conneaut harbor
Fairport Harbor
Simms Park
Home built hydrofoils.

Postby SaulOhio » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:43 pm

I'm planning on going sometime in February. I'm hoping there will be good snow or ice by then.

Lake Erie still looks entirely free of ice here around Cleveland. I don't know about Maumee Bay or the islands. I'm contemplating trying to get out this weekend. I know of at least one other guy who would do it.

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:00 pm

The whole state will be froze by the second week of february which is awfully late. We'll be kiting lake st clair by then. You don't have to go all the way to traverse city. We'll thaw early this year too. Last year Jontan & Vlad kited to Canada and back, not happening this year. I think tho I'm gonna unpack my wetsuit and hit lake erie, tired of waiting for the ice.

SaulOhio
Frequent Poster
Edgewater
Conneaut harbor
Fairport Harbor
Simms Park
Home built hydrofoils.

Postby SaulOhio » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:36 pm

How about now? I'm almost finished building my ice boats, and want to try them out. One is the speed machine I posted pictures of, and the other looks more like a classic ice boat. I may even put a windsurfing sail on that one.

But its no use at all if I don't have ice!

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:16 pm

SaulOhio wrote:How about now?
Unless there's a cold snap, winter is over.

read the DNR ice fishing report

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-15 ... SS,00.html

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby robertovillate » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:41 am

Bear Lake MI (near Manistee) is reportedly good ice, 8". Many of the lakes north of Cadillac also have ice.

here's a report from our ice boat club:

Dick Wollam and a contingent from the Grand Traverse Ice Yacht Club plan a Northern Michigan mid-week ice checking mission Feb. 7 and 8.

Tuesday they are sailing South Lake Leelanau from the Bingham Road launch. A number of successful regattas have been held there.

Wednesday they are sailing Lake Charlevoix. The will launch at Boyne City at the east end, the site of the 2010 Centrals. Also on the agenda is sailing the larger west end near the village of Charlevoix.

Northern Michigan has a cooling forecast with overnight lows around 20 degrees with highs near 30.

Also, big regatta in Green Bay, WI this weekend:

WM iceboaters-

By all indications, the referenced regatta will be held at Green Bay WI. WMIYC is a member of the NIYA and therefore its membership is eligible to participate. For those of you who are unfamiliar with this event, it is a 3 day regatta beginning on Friday. The classes include DN, Renegade, Skeeter and Stern Steerers.

By all reports the ice is great and the forecast is for plenty of pressure. Whether you race, come to cruise or just watch, it is one of the sport's more spectacular events. Where else will you see the world's largest iceboat, the high tech skeeters, and sailors like Buddy Melges all sharing this ice?

More information regarding directions and accommodations should be posted on the 4Lakes web site - iceboat.org - later tomorrow.

Lake Winnebago (WI) also solid
Lake Mendota is reportedly very solid

Gidyup!

Davesurf76
Rare Poster

Postby Davesurf76 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:50 am

What kite sizes are we looking at?

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster

Postby robertovillate » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:03 pm

Davesurf76 wrote:What kite sizes are we looking at?
It all depends on conditions - as is typical. There isnt much snow (if any) at the moment so if you are on flat lake ice a small kite will work. Even with a few inches of snow it will be very fast on good ice. Kind of a harsh ride. More fun with a kitewing + nordic skates probably. It would be nice if we could get some snow right now. A little in the forecast but not much.

iceboating news:
"Central Lakes Region Championship is Called On for this weekend February 11-12th

Dick Wollum and fellow scouts at GTIYC report Lake Leelanau and Lake Charlevoix are sailed and ready for fun!
Principal site will be Charlevoix (Boyne City). This site was used for our centrals a few years ago. It is close to lodging, food, and entertainment.
The ice is rough near shore, but sailing out a ways there is new ice that forms a hard, smoother cobble-stone-like surface. With the exception of a few rough spots, the bumps are mostly bridged out by the flat of your runners.
Weather could bring snow in on Thursday / Friday but it is anticipated that much of it will blow off the ice.

bay surfer
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The Dam Beach
Favorite Beaches: Lake Michigan Beaches, OBX
Gear: Airush, Switch, Pansh, Kites, LF boards, Home Brewed Foils and boards

Postby bay surfer » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:01 pm

East side lakes Skegemog real good ice for boaters, Lake Manistee in Kalkaska ft thick ice good for boaters too. Only good snow kiteboarding has been on Manistee mid Jan good Pow for a week then gone . But for the Iceboaters a Phenomenal season.

Return to “Snow / Land”