All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Through the ice
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:11 pm 
Medium Poster

Right on Don. Fell through last year in the spring...its hard not to panic. Lets also not forget that the dude in the video did not have a board strapped on like Tom. Its frankly unimaginable that he pulled that off still being strapped in!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:41 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Excellent video. That doc has some real "balls" (shrunken as they may have been) to demonstrate that for the video. I've seen similar demonstration and the bit about relaxing during the first minute is crucial.

Many of us don't go onto the ice without the ice-picks mentioned above. Below are a few photos of my home-made jobs - the lanyard can be worn around your neck or clipped into a pocket on your parka, and the plastic sheet helps hold them together when I don't want them to separate.

I also carry a whistle to get attention if I go thru or if I have to try to get others to help.

The iceboaters here say to "be the 3rd group on the ice" - first the ice-fisherman, then the sleds, then iceboat...but I've seen people out there when they probably shouldn't be. Every year people go thru the ice around here - some make it out and some don't.

The buddy system is always a good idea, but to great extent we are still on our own sometimes. Whether on the water, in avalanche zones, or on the ice we need to know the conditions and it's obligatory to be prepared. I've even considered wearing a self inflating PFD on the ice (you can get a vest harness type or belt pouch type)

be safe out there!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:08 am 
Rare Poster

Excellent video. Excellent tips. This should be mandatory viewing for anyone that goes on the ice.

Thanks to the Doc for the demonstration. Much more impactful than a lecture.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:35 am 
Medium Poster

I went through the ice a few years back ran into some candle ice and I wrote about the expirience in my blog back in 2010. If you've never heard of candle ice (I didn't before I went through it) it's worth a read.

http://hardwaterkiter.blogspot.com/2010 ... -pond.html

Going through the ice without wind adds an element that I wouldn't dig. As far as going through while your kite is in the air the key is to keep your wits. Being a kiter in the water isn't an unusual thing. Being a kiter in water in ice is just a little different but basically the same. Just use the kite to pull you out but mind that you do it without getting your skis or board caught on the edge of the hole and body drag a good distance away from the whole.

Candle ice is amazing stuff tho. Creepy and amazing. And ice picks won't get you out of it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:33 am 
Frequent Poster

Hardwater Kiter wrote:
Candle ice is amazing stuff tho. Creepy and amazing. And ice picks won't get you out of it.

Sort of like this toy...

Reports said the ice was 3 feet thick one day. Turned out we were kiting on 3 foot thick candle ice. We had a look at some that got pushed up on a pressure ridge about a mile offshore. These pressure ridges form almost in the same spot every year. Some pictures...
http://boostkiteboarding.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1800&p=8126#p8126

The day started out with huge puddles of water sitting on what we thought was solid ice (it had rained the day before). A couple of hours later the ice became smooth (and level) as butter and the water vanished almost instantly. The depressions that held the water were gone too.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:23 pm 
Medium Poster

Wow those are great pix. Also a great illustration with the pin thing ZG.

I've ridden 2' of clear black ice and got away clean. I was amazed at how the candle ice fell apart.

You just never know.

[ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2