Forum for snow- and landkiters
PeteV
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Snow Kiting vs. Kitesurfing

Postby PeteV » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:47 pm

Are there any real differences between snow kiting vs. kitesurfing that I need to be aware of? I have kitesurfed for five years, but never snowkited. I have snowboarded for 20 years. Going to Mammoth this weekend, looks like it's going to be windy, so thinking I might give snowboarding with my kite a try. Any suggestions? Will my standard board be fine?

jedi1
Frequent Poster

Re: Snow Kiting vs. Kitesurfing

Postby jedi1 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:11 pm

You'll be fine. If you can kitesurf, than you can snowkite, even if you can't snowboard.

Just remember to change your bindings to a symmetrical duck stance if you don't snowboard that way. A true twin tip board will also be better, but directional twin-tips work as well.

Martins Sprogis
Rare Poster
Style: mix of all
Gear: North Neo 2013 7
North Neo 2013 10
Slingshot RPM 2011 9
Slingshot Fuel 2008 15
Naish Charger 2010 5

Postby Martins Sprogis » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:03 pm

I fully agree with previous answer.
With your kiteboarding and snowboarding experience there will be no problems to start snowkiting.
Just try and share emotions after it.

yhocaogl
Rare Poster

Postby yhocaogl » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:26 pm

Totally agree, but;
I recommend you to get your lines ready and have it connect to your kites properly in the hotel, lobby or somewhere you do that comfortably..It's a real pain to unwind the bar for about 25 meters, walk back as you seperate them for another 25 m, and walk back to bar for another 25 meters in soft snow, especially after a hard pumping session (in case you use inflatable kite ) - where the oxygen percentage is quite low at high spots. Try and adjust your harness according to your winter apparel.. Adjusting it cold outside is also difficult..If you don't do these; you have to do them all outside without gloves and your fingers will be frozen..Think that you are on snow and its windy.
Wind could be gusty, moreover there might be turbulance upon the geographical conditions, so i do not recommend snowkiting in extreme wind conditions..
Beware of the wind direction. uphill or downhill...jumping with downhill wind is no fun, because your kite will not park on your zenith and so you cannot edge properly. On contrary, jumping with uphill winds (on-uphill or side-on uphill) is quite fun..You need to practice how to stop your ascending with some kiteloops. Sometimes depowering the kite is not enough to land on properly..
have fun...

Windgumby
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Bighorns, Beartooths, Pryors
Gear: Ozone, Patagonia, Black Diamond

Postby Windgumby » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:55 pm

You might have to go to the emergency room afterwards so they can fix your perma-grin. :)

criznach
Medium Poster

Postby criznach » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:19 am

Windgumby wrote:your perma-grin. :)
I resemble that remark.

WndRdr
Medium Poster

Postby WndRdr » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:20 am

When you are not on a flat lake but go uphill there are some more things to remember.

The wind may change a lot between the bottom of the hill and the top. Wind direction can also change during the day due to the sun or clouds and changes in temperature depending on the area.

When going downhill you can outrun the kite and that leads to unwanted "jump". So check your speed.

If you are not using a helmet on water then use it on land/snow. Snow will cover all the hazards better than water. Also ice and hard packed snow is harder to hit your head than water.

If there are avalanche warnings in the area take the same precaution than if you were just on skiing.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:45 pm

PeteV wrote:Are there any real differences between snow kiting vs. kitesurfing that I need to be aware of?
Unless you got pow, put on some knee and hip pads. It will extend your snow kite session. Not just for bad crashes, it reduces the wear on you.

Return to “Snow / Land”