Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Inflatables are Superior to Ram Airs on Snow/Land

Postby plummet » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:16 pm

[quote="HAMLINDP"]

Hey, maybe I'll wear a sweater vest, with a bowtie, and some big black frame spectacles, next time I'm out there!
[quote]

I'm looking for a lime green suit and a top hat i can wear so i can really take the piss!.

Billy B.
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Strawberry, Big Bad UT Lake, Rush mudpuddle.
DC
Favorite Beaches: Strawberry, Rufus,, Hampton NH. San Diego lite wind ninja shit.
Style: Learning,... as in I am still learning.
Gear: 2014 north gear

All of it
North and Race boards
North twin tip and directional yummyness.
Surfboard and strapless play stuff.
Brand Affiliation: I am a North snowkite athlete.
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Billy B. » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:32 pm

What a joke, this topic always is.

Everyone know the best kite out there is the one that pulls you around and allows you to have a good time while doing so.

I fly pump up kites on snow,( I used to be a Ozone athlete so I flew foils for a while also) I land pump up kites in scary gusty ridge tops thanks to a North fith line saftey on my rebels and dynos. Allthough I usally just go back down then up then down then up....you get the point...

I hate pumping up though, I am often last getting out amoung my foil friends.

I was lucky enough to go to almost all the NAST stops in the US this year. I saw one US pro flying a foil kite during the four stops I attended. When you have snowmobile support and no fear of having to walk back or be left out in the cold the benifits of not carring a pump disapear.

Just saying. out of 30+ pro riders on snow here in the US one was on a foil kite. That must mean something??

I vote for the expose Pump me Up contest as well. I love that he just post the same thing over and over and it gets a huge respose. Here we are on the snow land forum and the same people have already responded..

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:28 am

Billy B. wrote:Just saying. out of 30+ pro riders on snow here in the US one was on a foil kite. That must mean something??
Yes - you're not at the same (land) comps as my friends are :lol: tubes being smoked by FSers, FSers being smoked by ... Elf's :o

There's a new (light wind) sherrif in town...

Billy B.
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Strawberry, Big Bad UT Lake, Rush mudpuddle.
DC
Favorite Beaches: Strawberry, Rufus,, Hampton NH. San Diego lite wind ninja shit.
Style: Learning,... as in I am still learning.
Gear: 2014 north gear

All of it
North and Race boards
North twin tip and directional yummyness.
Surfboard and strapless play stuff.
Brand Affiliation: I am a North snowkite athlete.

Postby Billy B. » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:31 am

Kamikuza wrote:
Billy B. wrote:Just saying. out of 30+ pro riders on snow here in the US one was on a foil kite. That must mean something??
Yes - you're not at the same (land) comps as my friends are :lol: tubes being smoked by FSers, FSers being smoked by ... Elf's :o

There's a new (light wind) sherrif in town...
I am not talking light wind performance, I am not talking what works best or wins races in light wind.

I am simple saying out of all the contest I went to there was only one pro on a foil kite here in the US, I am not saying who smoked who, or what kite was on the podium. What I am saying is there was one foil kite competing, at the pro level on snow here in the US, The French like a different kite then the Norgs. and the styles very from country to country as I am sure the land based kiting in Japan has it own charm. Companys will always be trying to smoke each other, and often several companies have owned the podium in different disciplines.

As always in this discusion of foil vs tube etc. There is a tool for what you need or want to do.

BB

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:52 am

Michigan isn't in the US then? Nuts, my geography is really bad.

HAMLINDP
Frequent Poster

Postby HAMLINDP » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:31 am

Crap!

I really messed up!

I should receive my 6M Unity on Monday :(

Kite-Line gave me $175 off for sending them one of my crappy LEIs. SWEET! I love you Michael!

Happy ChemTrails !!!!

waynepjh
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone edges and c4
Brand Affiliation: Ozone team rider

Postby waynepjh » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:25 pm

I have tried to fly foils in some pretty gusty wind they collapse and tangle. In the same wind my friend was flying a tube kite with no problems. I had to walk back to the car. Foils can't handle gusty swirly wind. There is no way a foil kite can be as stable as a tube kite. I use both types of kites and they each have there time and place.

HAMLINDP
Frequent Poster

Postby HAMLINDP » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:48 pm

waynepjh wrote:I have tried to fly foils in some pretty gusty wind they collapse and tangle. In the same wind my friend was flying a tube kite with no problems. I had to walk back to the car. Foils can't handle gusty swirly wind. There is no way a foil kite can be as stable as a tube kite. I use both types of kites and they each have there time and place.
Please share with us the foils that collapse in gusty winds. That would be more useful information.

What foils have you tried? They've really come along ways in recent years.

David :)

waynepjh
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone edges and c4
Brand Affiliation: Ozone team rider

Postby waynepjh » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:50 pm

The wind I am talking about was VERY gusty and swirly. It was so bad that we left after an hour. Most people would of not even launched there kite. I am an expert kiter and Ozone team rider. I have kited around 200 days a year for over 10 years. My kite was an 2011 ozone foil frenzy. I love foil kites dont get me wrong but there is no way they are as stable as a water kite. There is a time and place for each type of kite and I will always have both! The new foils have come a long way and I have really liked them the last two years. jmo! :jump:

HAMLINDP
Frequent Poster

Postby HAMLINDP » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:00 pm

waynepjh wrote:I am an expert kiter and Ozone team rider. I have kited around 200 days a year for over 10 years. My kite was an 2011 ozone foil frenzy. I love foil kites dont get me wrong but there is no way they are as stable as a water kite. There is a time and place for each type of kite and I will always have both!
The foils I'm talking about are closed cells, but I agree swirling winds suck for any kite!

Have you tried closed cellers (water kites)?

Just wondering (I'm not trying to sound pissy).

Return to “Snow / Land”