Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm
Has thanked: 0

Re: Hand vs Electric pump

Postby SupaEZ » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:32 am

Laughingman wrote: Actually line walking is also a thing of the past. I haven't walked my lines for over a year other then maybe after a messy self rescue.
Actually line detaching / attaching + line walking is also a thing of the past

Also i took the leash off the pump and instead it is a sandbag that holds the kite with that leash
That way the kite can stay in the pumping position with no need to flip it over after it's pumped
You can walk away half way through pumping if you want and kite will just wait for you to return

I have a way to pack my kite with lines on and when i launch bar/lines are perfect no spin needed
It's all practice....just like packing a parachute ...and then jumping out of a perfectly good airplane
The bar gets packed by staying in the same spatial orientation in relation to the kite when in flight
No video :D
Visualisation required
:cheers:

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:23 pm

SupaEZ wrote:
Laughingman wrote: Actually line walking is also a thing of the past. I haven't walked my lines for over a year other then maybe after a messy self rescue.
Actually line detaching / attaching + line walking is also a thing of the past

Also i took the leash off the pump and instead it is a sandbag that holds the kite with that leash
That way the kite can stay in the pumping position with no need to flip it over after it's pumped
You can walk away half way through pumping if you want and kite will just wait for you to return

I have a way to pack my kite with lines on and when i launch bar/lines are perfect no spin needed
It's all practice....just like packing a parachute ...and then jumping out of a perfectly good airplane
The bar gets packed by staying in the same spatial orientation in relation to the kite when in flight
No video :D
Visualisation required
I think we have been over this already, I'm sure it works great but the cost IMHO $500 to $600 each x5 bars is too much money for the small gain in convenience.

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster

Postby SupaEZ » Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:39 pm

Just sayin ...keep bar/ lines on all the time.... on the kite you use the most :D

It is logical with my 19 because i had 144 days on it last year...many are 5 days in a row
All you would need is 2 bar/lines....no need to break the bank
Which kite are you riding the most ?
You could try something new and get good at leaving lines on it this year :thumb:

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board

Postby Laughingman » Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:47 pm

SupaEZ wrote:Just sayin ...keep bar/ lines on all the time.... on the kite you use the most :D

It is logical with my 19 because i had 144 days on it last year...many are 5 days in a row
All you would need is 2 bar/lines....no need to break the bank
Which kite are you riding the most ?
You could try something new and get good at leaving lines on it this year :thumb:
There are two of us so that would mean 4 bars for our 5 kites... not much of gain really, besides here in SWO I would be hard pressed to say which kite I used most, but we definitely used the 5m the least.

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster

Postby SupaEZ » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:22 pm

OK back to the hand pump or electric :thumb:

What do think of taking the leash off the pump and putting it secure though a sandbag to prep kite
Kite stays securely belly up in pumping position to attach your lines on
Eliminates flipping kite over to LE down
Eliminates flipping bar 180 degrees left to right / right to left
Eliminates the sand from sticking to LE
"You get to look at your lines and kite in their true flying spatial orientation"
Facilitates the helper handling the kite (especially if large size) to assist your launch as a bonus

:pump: :surf: :sun:

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Laughingman » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:48 am

Well okay, so my electric pump and battery are just heavy enough so the leash attached to it already holds the kite in place and while the kite is being pumped I connect my lines. Once the kite is pumped all I have to do is disconnect and hand my kite to my kite launcher and walk into position. Viola.

AeolianKitesurfing
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Aeolia
Style: Lazy Riding
Gear: Cabrinha, Aeolian Board, Mystic Harness, Triple Action Pump
Brand Affiliation: Aeolian Kitesurfing

Postby AeolianKitesurfing » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:07 am

Dimitri M wrote: Also, I still believe that walking the lines should be part of your kite set up routine. Because this is when you can check if your lines have knots in them or are ready to break. (see video bellow)

I hope these videos helps. HAPPY NEW YEAR.

Great Videos Dimitri!! You make a good point here...line breaks are the worst thing that's ever happened to me and walking the lines gives you a feel for their health.

I think I smell a new post: Line Managers vs Walking your Lines when do we get too clever for our own good?

If no one links to an existing post I will open this up for discussion

AeolianKitesurfing
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Aeolia
Style: Lazy Riding
Gear: Cabrinha, Aeolian Board, Mystic Harness, Triple Action Pump
Brand Affiliation: Aeolian Kitesurfing

Postby AeolianKitesurfing » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:11 am

matthepp wrote:Vlad, looks great. I use a little airhead inflator and top off with the manual. Looks like you have all-in-one. How does the battery handle cold temps for snowkiting? More importantly, how can I get one??
We are testing NIMH batteries for cold weather now...Results look promising!

Follow Triple Action Pump on Facebookhttps://www.facebook.com/pages/Triple-A ... ?ref=br_tf for news about this set of tests and more.

The Triple Action Pump is coming to Kickstarter soon. We will announce it's launch in the coming days.

NHKitesurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: MA/NH
Gear: Switch & Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby NHKitesurfer » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:58 pm

AeolianKitesurfing no offense but what is the value proposition to using your hybrid pump vs an electric? My bravo bst has worked flawlessly and pumps the kite completely. It's also about a 1/3 the size of a manual pump.

matthepp
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: RMP
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
Kino Bay
Red Mountain Pass
Style: Rich
Gear: OR Flite 15m
OR Razor 12m
OR Prodigy 7m 9.5m
BD Carbon Megawatts
Slingshot Dwarfcraft/ Gamma 68
Brand Affiliation: Alpine Edge Engineering

Postby matthepp » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:25 pm

I can tell you why for me I like the Aeolian design. (I like the BST too for roadside stuff). The BST is too heavy to skin in to backcountry spots. I'm hoping the Aeolian will still be light enough since it's just a low pressure inflator. In addition you'd still have a manual backup if cold kills the battery. Granted, it's a bit of a niche application.

Return to “Snow / Land”